Sierra 55gr blitzking for coyotes

ironworker

My AR-15 loves 55gr Sierra Blitz kings. 3300 fps. Any how are these bullets suitable for Coyotes? Are they too thin skinned? My rifle also likes 65gr Sierra game kings at 2,950 FPS. I've tried all the bullets Sierra seems to be the most accurate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

The gamekings would definately be a better bet for coyotes. The blitzkings are made to be rather expolsive and may fail to perform like you want them to on coyotes. That is my best educated guess, as I have never actually used the blitzkings for coyotes. Hope this helps.

I doubt there any more frangible then the 55g vmax which kills yotes deader then a doornail..I doubt you'll have any probems with them..Never have used them myself, but I've used a lot of vmax and NBT's for coyotes and they work real well so my educated guess is that the blitz would be no different.

A few years ago, I did a test for the PMC factory comparing the Blitz king, V max, and the Nosler ballistic tips on ground squirrels.

The Blitz kings were in a class by themselves in explosion. We shot 200 of each that the factory Ballistician loaded with the exact same powder charge to make the comparison with.

With the increased RPM's in the AR, the Blitz king is highly likely to blow up on a shoulder or rib, you will have to do your own test.

If it were me, I would shoot the 55g BTHP and never look back. I have killed a lot of yotes with the 55g BTHP and it is a one of the best coyote bullets on the market.

I can guarantee you that the 55g Blitz king will detonate a fox and bobcat.

They dont work very well i have about 6000 of them so i will have to shoot alot o p dogs with them.I lost two yotes with shoulder shots.I did kill a few yotes with them but there are alot better bullets out there.Try a 60 gr v max with 25gr of varget powder that is my best yote round.

If you like Sierra bullets try the 55 grain #1365 and #1390. Any of the Sierra "Blitz" bullets will often let you down on coyotes.

Quote:
A few years ago, I did a test for the PMC factory comparing the Blitz king, V max, and the Nosler ballistic tips on ground squirrels.

The Blitz kings were in a class by themselves in explosion. We shot 200 of each that the factory Ballistician loaded with the exact same powder charge to make the comparison with.

With the increased RPM's in the AR, the Blitz king is highly likely to blow up on a shoulder or rib, you will have to do your own test.

If it were me, I would shoot the 55g BTHP and never look back. I have killed a lot of yotes with the 55g BTHP and it is a one of the best coyote bullets on the market.

I had heard the blitzkings were more explosive than the v-max or NBT, so your post confirms what I have heard. What were the results of the other two. Which of the other two were less explosive? I have used the 58 grain v-max in my .243 with good results on coyotes. I would be interested in your results between the v-max and NBT. Thanks.

I'm shooting a 22-250, not a 223, so my results are probably a bit amplified compared to guys shooting them in 223's, but my experience with the 55 BK's is exactly what the others have been saying as well. It's a Fantastic prairie dog bullet or paper puncher... Horrible coyote bullet. "Don't do it!!" That's the best advice I can give on them if you're going after coyotes.

About the 65 SBT's... That's what I'm shooting now in my 22-250. I think that's what I'm going to be shooting for a LONG time!! I love them in my 22-250. They are accurate, they shoot flat and buck the wind pretty well with their high BC, and they hit like Thor's hammer when they get there. Since I've started shooting them, every coyote (12 or 13 now I think) has been DRT... no spinners, runners, getter-uppers, nothing but bang-flops. 100% satisfied so far. I think they might be the best coyote bullet in the 22-250 or larger .22 centerfires, at least I'm sold on them.

From what I've seen 55 Blitz Kings at 3200 feet per second muzzle velocity kill coyotes dead and are super good on fur. One of my hunting buddy shoots them in a 20 in BCA 8 twist. He puts hides up and is very impressed with that bullet.

I've killed a bunch of coyotes with 55gr. Blitzking out of a 16 1/2" barreled .223. Can't remember losing but one and it was hit in the guts. That would have been a loss with any bullet. I've had to sew a few up when I hit bone but for the most part they did just fine. Normally got exits about the size of a quarter.

I'll add I always shot behind the shoulder if possible. Hit a few in the shoulder up close and it did the job. Shot a feral cat in the chest one time with the same bullet and it never exited. Never really understood that one seeing how I'd get an exit most of the time on a coyote standing broadside. I also hit a coyote right above the eye with a Blitzking once. You talk about a mess skinnin that sumbuck.

Last edited:
I am not a big fan of any of the super expansive bullets for coyotes whether Sierra, Hornady, or even Berger. I have the best luck with DRTs with Target style hollow points. Hold together just long enough but typically not too long. Of course, speed, caliber, etc all make a difference but speaking in terms of .17 Rem up to 22-250 in my experience..

Originally Posted By: SDCoyoteCallerThe gamekings would definately be a better bet for coyotes. The blitzkings are made to be rather expolsive and may fail to perform like you want them to on coyotes. That is my best educated guess, as I have never actually used the blitzkings for coyotes. Hope this helps.

I'll second that! not a polmer fan either. Atleast not for coyote. The Sierra game kings are one tough bullet! I use the 45gr spitz. But if long shots was the norm I would use something a little heavier in the game king line up. Another "not so popular" bullet (but very reasonbly priced) Is the 45gr Speer spitz. These are tough bullets as well.
IMO, there is nothing wrong with FMJ bullets. Just gotta place your shots & be aware of pass thru's for safety reasons.

I'll be using a 50gr Serria Blitz out of the 22-250 this season. My hunting buddy has been using them for a long time
and says if you stay away from the edges... it's fur friendly. Even on bobcat.

My suggestion is to experiment with velocity... speed kills.

Originally Posted By: SDCoyoteCallerQuote:A few years ago, I did a test for the PMC factory comparing the Blitz king, V max, and the Nosler ballistic tips on ground squirrels.

I had heard the blitzkings were more explosive than the v-max or NBT, so your post confirms what I have heard. What were the results of the other two. Which of the other two were less explosive? I have used the 58 grain v-max in my .243 with good results on coyotes. I would be interested in your results between the v-max and NBT. Thanks.

Noslers were the toughest of all three.

If you have a rifle that loves the blitz king, you should try the Sierra BTSP also. Three of Sierra's hunting line of 55g have match jackets that are sorted for concentricity, the 55g BTHP, the 55g BTSP, and the Blitz king.

When you have a situation were your bullets are having to jump to the lands, the 55g BTHP is fixes a lot of accuracy issues.

Best wishes

Back