Look What I Found In My Garage

Moose57

I found this stuff in my garage.

Im000020.jpg

Some calls I made. The one on the left is zebra wood. The other 2 are cocobolo.

Im000022.jpg

These I made out of "mystery wood". I cut up a stump in the backyard. The center one is cherry.

Im000023.jpg

The one on the left is a buffalo horn howler I made. The voice is part of the horn. The one on the right is a copy of Sly's "Sno". It is made from the tip of a buffalo horn.

Im000024.jpg

The one on the left is a "mystery wood" open reed call. The center is an open reed made from mule deer antler. The howler is one in progress. The voice is made from some stuff similar to delrin.

Im000025.jpg

This is my Slydog "Sno" on the left and my Slypup mini-howler on the right.

Now I just need to come up with some catchy name for my calls. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Better go turn some more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Moose57,

You make some very nice calls. I especially admire the smallest call in the second photo on the left. What voice does it have? Cottontail or Jack rabbit?

Bill

Thanks Bill,
The little one is only 1 3/4" long. It has a cottontail voice in it. I still need to play with it some more. Doesn't sound just right. It might be a little too short.

Moose 57,

If you don't mind. You say the call needs a little playing with to sound right. What does it sound like now and what sound are you trying to achieve? What will you do to make those changes? In general, how do you tune or change the sounds of calls?

Bill

Moose57,

Very nice work! I'm wondering if your "mystery wood" might be mulberry. Has that marbled look and is very pretty when turned. Keep up the fine work. Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Bill,
Right now it just makes kind of straight single note sound. There is no "rasp" to it. I have noticed on my longer calls, you get a little back pressure that seems to make the sound a little raspier. More realistic in my way of thinking. I might try a double reed in it and see if that makes a difference.

To change the sound, you just take a straight edge razor blade and insert it between the sound board and the reed. Then you carefully bend the reed away from the sound board. You can also sand the reed to make it thinner or change the shape. I have also heard of putting a small vertical crease in the reed. Or even a dent. All these things will change the sound. I am new to the call making scene so I am still experimenting with what will and won't work. At least I'm having fun.

Nikonut,
Does mulberry grow in Utah? This tree didn't have a fruit. There is another tree in the yard that is the same species. Once it gets leaves, I can take one down to the local nursury and they might be able to identify it for me.

Thanks for all the nice comments. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Haven't quite figured that one out yet, Bill. There are just so many variables. I have noticed a difference with how close to the mouth piece the reed is put. Seems to get fuller and raspier the deeper I go. At least that is what happens with my design. Still a lot of experimenting to do before I can say for sure that doing "A" will result in "B". Ought to keep the neighbors on their toes with all the racket. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Man I wish I could be so lucky to find stuff like that in my garage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Lookin' good Moose!!

Riccur,
Please e-mail me @ pamerrill 1957 @ msn.com (remove spaces).
We'll see what we can work out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I think I got the voice thing figured out for the mini calls. I'm using a double reed that I'm tweaking a little. Sounds pretty good, I think.

I also made some deer antler calls tonight. The one is really loud. Kind of patterned after Sly's antler calls. I turned the mouthpieces on the lathe. I'll have to post some pics when they dry.

Turned a couple of wood ones last night. One was a mini. The other was another one out of zebra wood with a little different design.

Moose57,

I just got around to checking this...Red Mulberry will grow in USDA zones 4 to 9. That's down to -30 degrees. The male tree doesn't produce fruit...so that could be what you have. Doesn't really matter it sure is pretty stuff! Keep up the fine work, making your own calls is lots of fun and very addicting, too. Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Could be mulberry then, I guess. All I know is that it was free! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thought I'd post some more calls I made.

Im000031.jpg

Im000032.jpg

The one on the left is zebra wood with a little different design. The second one over is another mystery wood mini. It is 2" long. The other 2 are from mule deer antler. The far right one was inspired by Sly's calls. It is very loud.

I wonder if there is anything else laying around in the garage? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Back