big problem for grandson

cracker

heres the deal, like a dumb a$$ I bought the grandson a rossi trifecta with the 243 barrel. It is not worth the ammo I have put down the tube. We tried the 80 an 100 grain cor loks both missed the barn. today with the rain and bad weather we will be trying the 40 dollar a box hornady 95 grain sst. if they dont shoot we are in trouble. yes I have checked the scope, mounts cleaned the barrel belive me the gun shoots awful. now the grandson is a little guy for his age, he turns 12 the day before the youth hunt (here in wisconsin and you have to be 12 to hunt) so he is very excited. the 243 knocks him good, and with the limited time on my hand I won't beable to get him a new gun. so what are your thought on him using my 223, I will be with him coaching him and would make him keep his shoots to under 75 yrds. this gun only shoots the 55 grain bullets with any accuracy and some of the deer here get big. I would hate to have a great big deer standing next to a little one and tell him he has to shoot the little one. I am not very happy with rossi, who would sell a gun that shoots a 12 in group at 100 yrds.
sorry for the ramble
Cracker

If legal in the state where your hunting a 223 will be OK, I would suggest neck shots though. IMHO the 223 is marginal at best, but it is better than a gun that shoots bad. Don't that rossi have a shot gun barrel as well? Can your grandson handle slugs?

I'd contact Rossi.

They ought to make it right.

You didn't mention the scope setup on the rifle. That could be the weak link. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I have a good friend that bought a rossi for his step daughter. He is having the same trouble. I told him not to buy the darn thing! I am sorry to hear you and your grandson are disappointed. Just try to find the best shooting ammo you can ad then keep your shots close while hunting. I would call rossi and see what they say, but I can just about tell you what they will say. Again I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. That sucks!! Good luck Lee

In your 223 have you tried the 60 grain Nosler Partitions? If you don't load your own, pick up a box of Federal Premium Vital-Shok 60 gr. Partitions and see how they do.

Landrum

I have called rossi and they said to send it in. however we have only 4 weeks untill the youth hunt starts and its only a two day hunt. the scope the mounts are all good as stated b-4 it is the gun. we will send it to rossi when we figure out what to hunt with this year. I think we will us it and keep the shots to around forty yrds. that sucks to firearm hunt and have the range of a bow. did pick up the federal ammo for the 223 and will be giving it a try today this is the only day we will have to practice b-4 the season. I have spent so far 100 bucks on ammo to find a good load and will never buy a rossi again.
Cracker

Quote:
In your 223 have you tried the 60 grain Nosler Partitions? If you don't load your own, pick up a box of Federal Premium Vital-Shok 60 gr. Partitions and see how they do.

Landrum

^^ Good advice also Blackhills offers loads with 60g Partitions. Do you reload? Sierra offers soem GameKing's in 55g, they shoot really well for me. Not sure about terminal performance but there are a bunch of reviews on Midway for different bullets.

peace.
unloaded

My daughter had the exact set up and we could not get the 243 barrel to shoot either. We sold it and bought her a Ruger ultra lite in 243.

In the .223 I would look hard at the above mentioned 60 gr. Nosler Partition, the Winchester 64 gr. Power Point isn't a bad bullet, and any other factory load that might have the 53 gr. Barnes TSX, or the 55 gr. Trophy Bonded bullet in them. Think about it like archery hunting, good angles and stay away from heavy bones, practice precise shot placement. Good luck, let us know what you decide on and how the hunt goes.

Rossi isnt known for being good or quick at returning your gun when you sent it in for repairs. I know someone that was 6 months getting it back.

Back from the range and hooray for hornady. with the 95 grain hornady sst the gun and grandson shoot 5 inch groups at 50 yrds. the grandson shot the 223 with great results so now I have to chose from him using the 223 and shooting to 75 yrds or using the 243 and staying under 50 yrds. right now my mind is opting for the 243 and staying under fifty yrds. after the season I will send it to rossi or just plain get rid of it.
Cracker

I have killed a deer with a 223 the year ks let us use them. I also know some people in ok that use them with no problems at all. Its all going to be shot placment. bad shot a 300 win mag may not kill one. But a go placed 223 will drop him like a rock. I would much rather hunt with a rifle i belive in then one that i would be sweating when the time comes. His first deer I would not want to be hunting with junk. If the gun mis preforms he will be doubting his self. Hope he kills a monster and has the time of his life doing it. You guys have a good season and have fun.

Even 5 inches isn't anything I would want to hunt with especially at 50 yards, yuck!

I have a freind that hunts with an AR pistol with a 14 inch barrel in 223. He kills a couple every year. He just uses SP ammo in the 55 grain flavour. That is all he ever hunts deer with.

O.K. after talking to the new hunter we have picked the 223. heres the reasons why, #1 and I think this is the most important he feels he shoots it much better. # 2 he likes the littler kick it has. #3 which is maybe a reason not to let him use it is he likes the fact its a simi auto and can get a second shot off with it. he likes the idea of the 243 having more knock down but doesn't like the fact its not as accurate so I will let him use the 223 as he is more confident with it. anyone want to buy a rossi cheap.
Cracker

Stick with good broadside shots within reasonable distance and leave the neck shots to the "professionals".

A young hunter such as your grandson should have no trouble getting his first deer on the ground with the .223 and about any decent 55-60gr. bullet placed in the shoulder/lung/heart region.

Good luck with your hunt.

Clayman

I wont let the kid do neck shots. even I would not take one as the boiler room is the size of a paper plate and he can put them in the boiler room. he did great off of a picnic table today and also did very good off the sticks sitting on tha ammo box.
he is ready and with me at his side doing a little coaching I feel we can put his first deer down.
Thanks for all the imput from everyone and hope the deer and weather cooperate for his first hunt.
Sportingly
Cracker

Rossi,,,,,,,,,,,,,Some more cheap imported crap.
To bad because the combo is a great idea for a youngster to get started on.
Maybe you can dump it and if it works financially, get a TC with Rifle and Shotgun barrel's. Then he can move up in calibers as he grows. They are quite a bit more money but you wouldn't have to get both barrels right away.

Right now the important thing is for him to get a Deer and have a good experience. Sounds like your on the right track.
Good luck, and post pix of that first Deer.

Good luck to your grandson, don't forget to let us see the results!!! His first deer should leave him with some good memories.

Take it to the next gun show in your area and trade it off. Buy him something of quality that he will keep a lifetime. Both of you will be happier.

I am gonna back the advice to use the 223 with a premium bullet. The 60 partition is a premium bullet.

One piece of advice. Take every hunting rag you have and give him a Sharpie. Tell him to draw crosshairs at the POA. When he is through with one magazine, grade his progress and give him another to work on.This will solidify in his mind the proper hold during the moment if excitement just before he touches that trigger. It worked with both of my boys and I didnt have to worry about where he was holding.

Last edited:
Back