.22-250AI Vs. .223WSSM

TexasTweeter

Opnions, comments. Just wondering. I know when they first cam out, the .223 WSSM were having some problems, was wondering if they fixed them yet.

Never played with a .223 WSSM, but I did have a .243 WSSM. I sent it back to Browning twice for feeding problems. Still not satisfied I sold it and bought a .22-250, which may become an AI after this 'yote season.

I have been told since by a couple of fellows that they also had feeding problems with the WSSMs. Take it for what it's worth, because there are a lot of guys who have good luck with the Super Shorts but I was not impressed.

22-250, Had a 223 wssm, nothing but a problem child to me. I could never get the results I wanted. Just my opinion. I personally like the 250, although they can be a bit finicky at times, but I still prefer them.

Pyscodog

Tweeter, you are comparing two different animals. The 223 short mag is a factory gun, and the 22/250 AI HAS to be a custom chamber.

All of the 22/250 AI's that I have had with the 15,14, or 12 tiwsts have been very easy to work up extremely accurate loads with.

I have only worked with one Win Stealth in 223 super short mag and had really good luck with 60g bullets and h380.

Good luck!

A lot of the feeding problems, are why the factories do not chamber the WSSM's any more. It is a shame too. The 243 WSSM at least, works real well in the AR's. I did not think there was enough advantage in the 223 WSSM to really make it viable, the 25 WSSM is to long in heavier bullt wt's but the 243WSSM feeds great in my AR anyway even the 90 grn SST's. It is almost boreingly accurate, even at extreme ranges. But with the negative reports and the internet hatchett job done on the WSSM's they have become pretty much a custom chambering now or will be in a few years once the stock on hand dries up.

I would go for the 22-250 in a heartbeat, and I will never mess with another 223wssm. Just my opinion based on my experience.

already have a .22-250 and it is soon to be a .22-250AI but was just wondering if I should get the .223WSSM as a next project gun. Right now Im tossed up between a .257 Weatherby mag and a .243AI for my next build. So I guess Ill throw the .223 WSSM out in the cold.

Chuck them both out and get the 204 Ruger. No recoil, shoots as flat as the 250 AI and is as inexpensive to reload as the 223. The big advantage is being able to watch your hits or better yet your misses thru the scope.

My understanding is Browning finally did solve most of the feeding problems, but the Winchesters were shut down before that happened. Browning has discontinued production of the Super Short cartridge guns so that says that either problems continued to persist or sales were off. It seems that there is a following for the cartridge in the AR platforms, but as far as bolt guns it's a dead issue. Add that the problems of getting short 308 length actions to function with this length cartridge when you build one.

I shot a 22-250 for better than 30 years and it's a great varmint gun, but don't see a reason for going the AI route. It's simply not worth dealing with the cost of dies and chambering and fooling with making cases for the little gain in velocity. Most varminting and predator hunting/shooting is done within a 400 yard envelope and all the the 22 centerfires work well within that envelope even the 222's and 223's. Worrying about a few fps is a lot like counting raindrops. I suppose it's a good thing to argue about in between shooting sessions.

Meh, the reason I want an AI isn't that I'm a speed freak, I just like diffrent. I chose to do this build on a .22-250 instead of the .204 because there is a lot more I can do with it. It can double as a light duty target rifle as well as harvest deer or hogs since I hunt them as well and my hunting area is eat up with both. just happens to be the stroke that I like.

Back