Mossberg 835 Ulti- Mag Tactical Turkey 12 ga

Negahunter1

I have a Mossberg 835 Ulti- Mag Tactical Turkey 12 ga. with the X-FACTOR ported turkey choke tube . Can I shoot buck shot with this choke ? Will it be o.k. for close hunting in wooded areas ? Would buck shot be what I need or would large pellet waterfowl shot work ? I'm new to this predator hunting and need all the help I can get.

You need to pattern the gun and choke with the shot you want to use. I know several folks who use that gun with hevishot,and #4 Buck although I have always felt that a more open choke (Imp or mod) was better with Buck, I cannot really argue with results /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I have the same 835...

My gun patterns better with a modified choke with #4 buck.

I tried the tight choke & I think it deforms the shot.

BTW, I just use the 3" Mags in mine. The 3 1/2's kick like a mule, & offer not much more improvement over the 3's...

It will still get your attention with 3" mags, but I put a liner of foam rubber in the hollow buttstock, & filled it with BB's, then a 2" section of foam between them & the kickpad.
The foam keeps the BB's tight, as to not rattle, & acts as a cushion for the BB's when fired....

It kicks less than 1/2 of what is did before, at least with "felt recoil".

I use an 835 with #4 buck. Mine patterns best with the standard Mossberg turkey choke. I have also tried a modified and another choke made by Hunter Specialties. 3 inch Remington Express buck is the best patterning that I have found, it is not copper coated. I also use 3 inch Winchester XX Mag #4 buck, it is copper coated, but does not pattern as well.

Quote:
I have a Mossberg 835 Ulti- Mag Tactical Turkey 12 ga. with the X-FACTOR ported turkey choke tube . Can I shoot buck shot with this choke ? Will it be o.k. for close hunting in wooded areas ? Would buck shot be what I need or would large pellet waterfowl shot work ? I'm new to this predator hunting and need all the help I can get.

Welcome to Predator Masters! Here is some info for ya, click the link...

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb...e=0&fpart=1

Back