Hogs in Ohio*HELP*

ohioyotehntr

Custom Call Maker
I live in Ohio and a friend has some land that has a few hogs running. They are open season here. I have never hunted them before but allways wanted to. I don't know where to begin. Is there anyone from Ohio that hunts them? Or anyone else have some advice for a newbie? I'm not sure what i will hunt with. Either bow or shotgun with slugs. My only rifle is a 223. It's kinda small and shot wont be far anyway.
Thanks
Dusty

they have a nose equal to a coyotes. Their eyesight is much better than most people think.

any of the above will kill them. I don't recommend the .223 unless you can hit them behind the ear every time.
good luck, looking forward to seeing pictures.

As usual Glen is spot on about the hog situation. I agree with him on the 223 to a degree, but I can honestly say that I have killed far more with my AR than with any other gun. Then again, I really just consider them pest and don't do much with any that I shoot.

With that said I have three sets of fresh backstrap from tonights victoms, all 223 kills...

Never hunted them, but a co-worker has with a bow, in a neighboring county. He sat up in a tree stand along a timbered river bottom. The wild hogs would feed around the acorn trees. They also would run deer along the river bottom trails. He's killed 4, if I recall correctly with his bow.

They can be agressive.

Although I can't recommend it for everyone the following picture show my preferred shot placement.
normal_Russel_rice_7-18-07_1.jpg

normal_red_boar.JPG

normal_me_1st_boar_with_Icon_10-23-07.jpg

normal_hog_Icon.jpg

Mr. Guess, If I ever make it to Texas, I'm gonna visit you. Those are some nice hogs. How is the meat? Do you call them or just figure out where they run and be there? I'm sure that the hogs around here are not very "pure bread".
Thanks for the info fella's
Dusty

some are called, some are intercepted and some just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, for them!
Our hogs are for the most part of domestic decent, there may be some European blood, but very little.

For most guys I recommend breaking the front shoulders on average sized hogs you may lose a little meat, but you are not likely to lose your hog.
Quartering away is the best shot with bow or gun with the point of impact just behind the ribs aiming for the off side shoulder.
behind the shoulder works well also, but most hogs will run on you.

The meat from the boars is not very good to me, but some people like it. Of course some people eat spinach also! YUK!

The sows are awesome eating and taste more like beef than pork.

Back