IMR 4198 in the 22-250?

williamwjohnson

I was wondering if anybody else was using 4198 for the 22-250? I have a little bit of info for the sierra 45 gr spt. 30.3 grs the max. I was wanting to try 40 gr hp. I noticed re 7 was pretty similar and it shows up in a lot of the data through out the book. Wondering if I could follow it at a little lower chargers? I am using IMR 4895 right know. Not that big of deal to stay with, just trying to save a little powder. Thanks.

You may want to try this:

ALL LOADS USING WINCHESTER BRASS

40 gr. Sierra Blitzking

39.2 grns. of Varget

CCI 200 primers

The 40g Sierra HP is a super tough bullet. It was designed when Sierra was in the Los Angeles area for the Swat team to use as a sniper round to limit killing more than one person.

IMR-4198 is a pretty quick burning powder for the 250, and a lot better suited to .222/.223 size cases. I would definately stick with 4895...

Quote:
IMR-4198 is a pretty quick burning powder for the 250, and a lot better suited to .222/.223 size cases. I would definately stick with 4895...

+1
There are far better choices for 22-250 powder, like Varget and Benchmark, H-380, 4064, 4895.

Quote:
The 40g Sierra HP is a super tough bullet. It was designed when Sierra was in the Los Angeles area for the Swat team to use as a sniper round to limit killing more than one person.

Man... that was a long time ago.

I have a box of Sierra's that were made by "Harris Manufacturing Co." in Calif, before Sierra actually made their own bullets.

Gettin' old sucks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Catshooter, seems like yesterday to me. Those bullets made in Sante Fe Springs were some great bullets.

I bet those bullets made by Harris are unreal accurate if/when you can find them.

Quote:
CatShooter, seems like yesterday to me. Those bullets made in Sante Fe Springs were some great bullets.

I bet those bullets made by Harris are unreal accurate if/when you can find them.

I won't shoot this box - it is history. Most guys don't know that Sierra didn't make their bullets in the early days... they re-packaged and re-sold Harris bullets.

It's been a long time since those days /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

My son says I'm as old as dirt... I'm beginning to think he's right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IMR 4198 was the powder for the 22-250 back in the seventies but since then newer powders have come along and newer research has shown better results, with powders like Varget

Quote:
IMR 4198 was the powder for the 22-250 back in the seventies but since then newer powders have come along and newer research has shown better results, with powders like Varget

I've been shooting 22-250 since the 50's and 4198 was never a powder for the 22-250 - the powder "de jour" was 4895... then H-380.

4198 isn't even listed in the Sierra or Hodgdon loading data for the 22-250... it is WAY TOO FAST!

I've used imr 4198 in my 22-250 for beaver busting.
I don't remember the load I used 55gr FMJ with the point ground off to form a round nose. Worked excellent for beaver at close range. You need to use good brass with 4198.
DEF

Quote:
My son says I'm as old as dirt... I'm beginning to think he's right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'll bet you have a few boxes of Herter's bullets too?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:

I'll bet you have a few boxes of Herter's bullets too?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Aw jeeze - I don't believe it - is this friggin "Old guys day", or what???

Do you remember the Herter "wasp waist" bullets shaped like a Coke bottle with a corset??

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'll bet a box of those would be worth 10 times it's weight in gold!!

Hey Catshooter,

On Herter bullets, my Grandpa used to tell me about them.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well OK, how about that I learned reloading on a Hollywood Universal and when Dad bought a Herter's turret tool we were in high cotton. My Grandpa gave me a Pacific up-stroke C-tool for my 16th birthday (which I still have).

I'm not old, I'm experienced!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
Quote:

I have a box of Sierra's that were made by "Harris Manufacturing Co." in Calif, before Sierra actually made their own bullets.

Old age does suck!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I started reloading in 1948 and thought Sierra was the only bullet maker there was back then.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I do remember Gardiner made bullets too, but I never used any.

Martyn

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Old age does suck!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I started reloading in 1948 and thought Sierra was the only bullet maker there was back then.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I do remember Gardiner made bullets too, but I never used any.

Martyn

and thought Sierra was the only bullet maker there was back then..

Lets see.. Vernon Speer was making them in his garage, and there was Sisk which had a straight body and a straight "ogive" - like a plum bob.

Varmint bullet makers were little fish in those days - when Winchester and Remington refused to sell cases and bullets, and CCI formed because primers were so hard to get from the big guys.

When I started, people looked at you like you were an alchemist if you hand loaded.

Yup... old as dirt, that's it, my son was right!

if you are interested in a cheap plinking load for your 22-250, try 18 gr of imr 4198 under a 50 gr speer tnt. i didn't get a chance to cronograph the load before i turned my savage into a 6-250, but it put 5 shots in .313" on the bench, and seemed to work on gophers to 150yds on the few that i tried. lee

Quote:

I wonder if you are thinking of the .222 Rem., rather than the .22-250 Rem. 4198 was very popular with the .222 when shooting 50 grain bullets. It's a bit fast for the .22-250.

I use 4895 right now in my 22-250. I like to find a powder that gives you the fastest speed, with the least amount of powder and still be safe. I don't use this gun much. I have an old savage 340 in 222 that I like and I got an ar that I have been messing with. I use 4198 and 4895 for all the guns I have and was just wondering. Thanks for the info.

Quote:

Perhaps, but I sure don't like the alternative!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Back