Camo Paint...Clear coat or no?

Chris_Brice

I just got done giving my stock and scope a camo paint job. I know a lot of you guys then put on a clear coat and understand that it protects it but....

It seems like such a waste to cover that ultra-flat paint job with a satin clear coat.

Help!! What to do?

CB

NO CLEAR COAT! It would get rid of every reason you camo'd your gun. Keep it ultra flat.

I've hunted with plenty of guys who have the professionally dipped guns...every one of them shined in the sun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Tony

A flat clear coat will stay flat colored. I have used it on several occasions now, but my last paint job does not have one, but just because I was too lazy to finish the job.

I am with Tony on this one. I flat clear coated my Stevens .223 and it shined like a lighthouse in the sun.

Quote:
I am with Tony on this one. I flat clear coated my Stevens .223 and it shined like a lighthouse in the sun.

You guys need to stop buying your paint from ACME /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Out of all the shotguns and rifles I have painted I have never clear coated any of them. I have repainted my shotguns after 3 or 4 years of use because the flat paint starts to get a little shine to it.

Well, I didn't clear coat it. Partly because I didn't want to spend the $4-$5 in gas to go get some, partly on advise, partly because I'm impatient. Here's a couple pics:

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

IMO, Not bad for doing it quick and in bad, bad light.

CB

i painted my shotgun in krylon flat camo green and brown with no clear coat with in 2 weeks i had to repaint it cuz the paint was comeing off what did i do wrong? so i repainted and clear coated it ?...will

I was a painting contractor for 13 years and I'm telling you-yes they do make it. I'll hunt around for a brand for you- I'll call some of my buddies who still paint. Before anyone sounds off, you need to know a few things.
1)If there is a super flat paint, then there is a super flat clear coat. ALL ACRYLIC CLEAR COAT IS, IS ACRYLIC PAINT WITH NO PIGMENT IN IT! SO YES IT WILL BE JUST AS FLAT.
2) If you're using something with a sheen-QUIT USING IT.
3) Tony, I hate to disagee but think we can do it without being diagreeable-just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I have one- Except they screwed up the stripped lower and gave it a satin- which still has a little sheen (They did such a nice job I didn't want to complain)
4)There is nothing magical in flat paint that can not be replicated in a clear. It doesn't matter if it's latex,oil,alkyd,acrylic etc.. unless you're talking about varnish it's a matter of having pigment or not having pigment- Any paint can be reduced to its' base and still provide protection.
For whatever it's worth,
Brendan

Exactly, Brendan!
The clearcoat adds protection. I have used it for years on my camo painted rifles & bows.

It will make the camo last longer, & the type I use, a Rustolium Flat Clear won't add sheen.

ARfinish.jpg

This M-4 was painted about 20 coyote hunts and 10,000 miles in the truck ago....
It has yet to get a ding, flake, or sheen to it.

Keep using the thing that works for each of you, as you are your own toughest customer. But, I like the added protection of the clearcoat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I just finished 2 stocks myself and used a flat clear... It does not add any sheen to the camo and yes it will add protection to it.

BOTH OF THESE have been clear coated with a flat clear

Picture008-1.jpg

Picture005-1.jpg

Last edited:
Without a clear coat, your spray paint camo job WILL deteriorate with any hard use. It will collect dirt and grime, it will not stand up to solvents or sun screen, it will scratch, and it will wear with friction. A matte clear coat seriously reduces all that so the paint job will last much much longer.

Back