Tom Talker Wolf Howler!!

Redfrog

TomTalker_Howler_028.jpg

TomTalker_Howler_026.jpg

I received this howler in the mail today.It's hand crafted by our very own Tom Talker. I was looking for a howler with a deeper voice than my coyote howlers. Tom delivered on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It sounds as good as it looks. I'm really lookng forward to calling a wolf in with it. I'll head out before the end of the month. Mating season ya know! :eek: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Nice Tom!!!! Red I tried to talk him out of that horn until he told me who it was going to.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Todd

Glad it arrived in one piece!! Sure hope you can fool the wolves with it. I had a time finding a reed material to do the trick and ended up going for a visit to that "plump" lady at Walmart for her thickest pattern makeing material .020. I found another material but didn't trust it to stand up to the cold
097608.jpg

And the otherside.
f9b7daff.jpg

The lonngggg sound board

Awh whooooooooooooooooooooooo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
f9b7db05.jpg

I only get the first pic showing up Tom.

I wondered about the reed material, I thought it was Lexan.BTW I didn't even know Walmart had a fabric section. Course we don't even have a store in this town.

As far as the cold goes, I will be hunting with Greg Bernetic and he always likes to carry my stuff for me.I'll just get him to bring a hot water bottle along and he can keep the call warm until I need it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I was gonna take some closeups, but I didn't want this bunch copying the call before those guys in Sweden voted on this years Nobel prize for critter calling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks for the howler Tom, it sounds as good as it looks. I can't wait to see the "Oh $hit" look on the wolf's face, when he realizes he really is screwed. :eek:

HeHe Haveing pick problems today. I tried to edit once and lost them all then that one showed back up misteriously. Here's another go sans editing
f9b7daff.jpg

f9b7db05.jpg

It's a good thing to have Greg along to do the carrying as that there call is a little large lol. How is he at the skinning end of things? Hopefully you can keep him busy doing both as we know practice makes perfect. Itching to see how this wolf thing turns out. I sent some distress calls to young fellow who is guiding for wolves in Thunder Bay and Kapuskasing (must have his own plane hehe} They are going to try calling too. It's a few hours drive to wolf country for me but I think that would be the ultimate challenge. Wolves are showing up further south all the time. Starting to be some good populations well south of The French and Parry Sound. Good luck and lets see pictures. Hpefully pics of Gregs skinning technique. Maybe a tutorial lol. td

Now how did that happen? Pics are coming out of the woodwork No more editing for me. I use Linux instead of Windows and i think that is how some of this happens. td
f9b7daff.jpg

f9b7db05.jpg

Redfrog- Is your wife feeling saucy again? (Or is that not what you meant by 'mating season you know').

Good luck on that hunt. We want stories and photos.

Tom

THAT is beautifull!

I really like the length and shape of it.

I wish I were a frog. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Brad

I am fuming so much, I don't even know how to reply to either Tom's or Redfrog's comments. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

As for carrying things, I am always picking up the slack for you Mr. TOAD when we are out. That's right, I will carry things for you but this time I am not carrying your make up bag with your new "Lens Brush" if that is what you want to call it. Lens Brush, ya that makes me laugh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I don't even want to know what those panty hose in your bag are for.

Now what a minute, what was that you were talking about a little while ago in a post. Mating season, you just stay away from me Mr. Horny Toad ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Just remember, maybe next time when you leave your howler at the last stand and I pick it up, I just might not give it back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Regards,

Your Teacher

Originally posted by brad h:
[qb]Tom

THAT is beautifull!

I really like the length and shape of it.

I wish I were a frog. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Brad[/qb]
You are talkng about the howler, Right? :eek: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif What howler? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hey Tom, I'm finally on. (Daniel) For you other fellas, I'm the guy who's trying to call wolves (Thunder Bay)on Tom's distress calls. I went out today (first time)and ended up with a really bad set: swirling wind came up, three+ feet of snow, no dogs moving (no fresh tracks arround)..not great, but good fresh air and practice session 1. Lots of crow action, so I guess I sounded convincing.
On the way home, I saw a fox on the side of a slope as I drove by, so I stopped and pulled out my calls. I started with my "cottontail" and after about 30 seconds, he was on the side of the highway (30 m away)trying to figure out where the wounded bunny was under my car (with me sitting on it) on the side of the trans canada. Sweet, but I couldn't shoot it (too much traffic). Thanks again for the calls Tom. And thanks for directing me to this site.

D

Good going Daniel. Next time take some good leather gloves and call that fox right into the car. They can put a gator to shame at biteing. Trust me on that I've been bit more than once. Welcome aboard btw. This a great site with plenty of info and none of the flaming that goes on over at that other board /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif We need wolf pics!!TT

Thanks Tom.
I went out again. The snow's really deep and I'm not having much luck with the wind (high winds, shifting...) or the wolves (or coyotes for that matter). I called yesterday at a few different spots, and at the last one, the wind had died down quite a bit. I called (lightly) on my cottontail, followed by loud. (about 5 minutes in between), nothing. So I switched to the large squealer, and after the first round, I had a fox come out to see what was going on. I'd have cracked him, but he was looking right at me (at about 150) and I had my sticks in the wrong position. (For you southern people, I was sitting in 3+ feet of snow, so it's difficult to move them) As the fox started to move closer to where I wanted him (and I was repositionning) he caught my scent. It's difficult to catch a sprinting fox in your scope at 175 ish, where he crossed the road. Little **** , he got away (and educated). I'll be persistent, if nothing else. My scope will hit fur this season! I haven't had my calling partner out with me yet this year, but very soon. He'd have had the fox for sure!

D

Back