Hey Rich Cronk, again

Rich in AZ

After the Howling competition is over how about joining me in promoting the red balloon handcall?
It's already full of hot air, should make coming up with an appropriate name fairly easy.
Sat. am Tyler climbed up on his ladder with the camcorder while Phoebe, my coyote callin' Pom, and I sat down in an open area and did some howling. After a few minutes I blew up a balloon and let the air escape slowly and loudly, nice high-pitched squeaks. Phoebe and I are in the lower part of the pic.

f9bcaf58.jpg

f9bcaf52.jpg

Rich, you and Tyler have just too much fun with those coyotes. You guys make it look soooo easy. Maybe the rest of us are trying too hard, LOL. Either that, or you've begun practicing the Purina-Pavlov Principle, Hmmmmmm? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tom, sorry for the poor focus. Those are stills from the video. That's a bobcat that came in to the balloon squeaks after I had howled for five minutes or so. Tyler got about five minutes of video of the guy as it sat 20 feet away and watched me. Phoebe never did see it.
Rich, Jay as a tomcat? Crow Woman's wildest fantasy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So, howling wasn't a turn-off for the cat. When he heard the balloon squeals he just had to come in and see what his chances were for an easy meal. It's good to see proof that the possibility of coyotes in the area is not a deterrent to a hungry bobcat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tom, Tyler and I called in a bobcat and took it for the club hunt last month. It came in to an AP3 after howling several times. We have fox come in to the AP6 after we've howled also. Doesn't seem to bother them too much either.

[qb]We have fox come in.... after we've howled.[/qb]
Well, that flies in the face of something I thought I knew! :eek: Coyotes will make a meal of a fox, given the chance. Knowing this, why would a fox approach a howling coyote? He has no chance of stealing a piece of it's kill, right? That's weird.

I had the same thing happen about a week ago. I went out at night, made a few howls then started in with a distress call. First thing that came in was a fox. That pretty much confirmed that my howling really did sound as bad as I thought it did.

Tom, watch the fox on Tyler's video, the one with the huge anteater tail. That guy came in slowly and deliberatly, very unfox like, and stood behind that tree for several minutes because I had howled, as usual, before going to prey distress. We have fox respond like that fairly often. They never fly right over the top of us like they will if we target fox with prey distress only. Just like the one that jumps on me in the video I sent you.
I shot a grey last year in the chest with a paintball(sorry AZF&G) as it stood with it's rear feet down in a wash and it's front feet up on the bank. It was quietly looking the joint over after coming in to the distress, again after howling.

First cat I ever killed I just got through howling with a CH-1. Of course I was distressing when he came in but he showed up not even a minute after the howl. And came in fast like a yote, it had me thinking that it was. I dont like to practice that on cats but it has proven not to matter.

I think it was Scott Huber that once told me "In areas of high fox populations, there will be very few coyotes, if any. And vice-versa."
Since I've never had a fox come in when howling, I took that as gospel. I've only had fox come in when targeting fox. Maybe the key word here is "high" populations. Could be I took that statement too literally.

Rich, Jay as a tomcat? Crow Woman's wildest fantasy.

uhmmm... Tomcat=Jay /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Hubba... Hubba... let me at em /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif My fantasy awaits me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Grey fox will share the same country with coyotes. The fox has an advantage and can live that way by being able to climb trees.
Thats why as Rich said they come in slower and more aware to a howle, but always having their escape routes planned.

:rolleyes: (skuffing my foot up kicking dust) He started it! :rolleyes:

I always get blamed for everything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Let's keep in mind the foxes everyone here is talkng about are grey foxes. They tend to be very bold. Reds will ALMOST never (never say never) come in if there a coyote howl first.

(I just wanted to clear that up in case someone from red fox country thought it might be ok to do some howling.)

Randy

Well, that helps a lot. Now that the blanks are filled in, it makes more sense. Thanks guys, your wisdom is golden.

NASA,
I think that Scott Huber was talking about the RED fox. As Mr. Buker has already pointed out, there is a lot of difference in behaviour between RED vs Gray fox. We don't have many gray fox around here, I think that I have only seen a total of 1 gray fox in my hunting area. The RED fox seems to like it close to small towns and such, which is probably because they know that coyotes love them. Love to EAT them, that is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I shot a grey last year in the chest with a paintball(sorry AZF&G) as it stood with it's rear feet down in a wash and it's front feet up on the bank.

Now I understand what they meant by catch and release preditor hunting!

RC, I'm starting to get the picture, now. I've only called in about 8 fox, mostly kit. The only one I ever shot was a red. I was bird hunting and jumped him by accident. I've called in both red and grey, but it wasn't legal to take them. What I'm saying is, I don't have as much experience with fox as I do with coyote. So when I hear something about them I didn't know enough to interpret it clearly. That's why this board is so great. No one needs to stay in the dark, if they just pay a little attention.

Back