.22 Cal Dispatch Bullet

ironguts

For those of you that dispatch coyotes & coons with a .22 cal while trapping, What do you use for a bullet when using a lung shot dispatch? a .22 short HP or do you use something else? What stay's in & doesn't exit & dispatch the best for you?

use a 22 solid short and put it between its eyes angling back toward the neck and into the body. you shouldnt have much trouble with the shorts exiting a coyote but sometimes they will come out of a coon if the angle is wrong

i hear those bullets that split into 3 (maybe triple shock???)are good to use for lung shots but i prefer a short to the head

I use CCI short HP for coon dispatch. They all have enough power to come back out. I'm not sure the HP does much of anything but make me feel better. Good example; I had a coon on a log, point blank bang, straight through the brain, coon rolls off the log, there sits the bullet pretty as could be on the log. Looked like I could stuff it back in a shell and shoot it again. The HP didn't even deform.
I only head shoot though as I figure the fur industry doesn't use the heads anyways, and I don't want to mess around with a coon in a trap waiting for a good angle for a lung shot that might degrade the value.
I also bought a box of 22 short CB one time by mistake, they look very similar. Those are absolute junk. Shot coons straight through the brain and lets just say for the sake of antis cruising the site they didn't get the job done as quickly, effectively, and humanely as I expect a bullet in the brain to do.
One last chapter in this book; If you head shoot, pay attention to where the brain is when you skin, it not as far forward as right between the eye's. I like the x shot. Draw an x between the ears and the eye's, x marks the spot.

hummmm....... I have found .22CB's to be DEADLY on feral cats. I would have thought they would work fine for head shooting trapped coons.
After thought: I am using them in a rifle. I assume you are using a pistol. If so, that will make a HUGE difference.

I used them in a ruger single six revolver, 22 CCI CB shorts. After two shots in the "x" direct brain hits, coon unconcious and I'm sure dead, but still breathing up to 3-5 minutes later when I was washing the mud off. Happened 3 times in a row, the last one growled at me when I was scrubbing the blood off the forehead. After that I walked back to the truck 1/4 mile and scrounged up some long rifle to finish my line. I just didn't have all day to perforate coon heads. It was only one box, maybe squibs? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I talked to my trapping mentor 20 year veteran and he concurred cb's were not good coon medicine.

Last edited:
I use CCI Quickshocks to dispatch any critters I catch.I dont know if they are called Quickshocks anymore but they might be.I know they made some of those bullets in 22Mag that Im gonna have to try though.
I might use solid bullets to shoot the critters I catch from now on but I havent decided yet.The bobcat that I shot with the Quickshocks last year got a little tore up.I shot it twice though and both bullets hit almost exactly the same spot so it made a good sized opening on the other side so thats probably why.I could have got away with just one shot but I didnt want it suffering so I decided to give it another.I found the peices of the bullets caught up in the fur on the other side.On second thought I think I will get some more of those and just shoot the critters I catch this year in the chest so I wont get any pass throughs.Solid bullets wouldnt do much damage even if they passed all the way through but they also aint doin much damage to the insides of the critter either.In my experience solid bullets aint good for anything other than shootin cans and paper targets.

Thanks everyone. Intersting views, I didn't know someone made a 22 rimfire with no powder, read those reviews out on Midway. Intersting reading for sure. Thanks again & happy trapping everyone!

Back