bullet holes

Most fox and yotes are sold fur out and if you do sew a hole it is up to you to tell the buyer, I have sold many that were tore up by yotes(foxes) and was paid top $$.

im a die hard trapper in the winter but i only shoot yotes and coon,, bobcats i choke out with a choke pole and fox i hit in the hit in the head and step on the lungs, but i shoot yote and coon with a .22 dont put a big enought hole to even worry bout

If your going to get paid the same amount of money for a critter thats been shot in the head or chest with a .22lr as you would for a critter thats been hit in the head or choked to death why dont you just make it quick and smoke it in the head or heart with a .22 and get it over with?No use in makin things any harder than they have to be for you or the critter you were lucky enough to catch.That just doesnt make much since to me at all but if you feel like its necessary when its really not then go for it.

well on fox and cats... even that small hole will hurt the price on them,,but on a cat when chocking he will make like 1 and half jumps and hes dead ,and on a fox in bout 30seconds he is dead too

Oh I didnt know that.Im not bashin anyone that kills what they catch that way I just wouldnt do it.It would have to be a major difference in price for one that has a hole in it versus one that doesnt before I even concidered killing the critters I catch that way.
Maybe cause I know what its like to be choked or beat over the head.I've been choked before and I've been beat over the head with a driver "golf club" I just couldnt do it to something else.But I dont have anything against people who do it that way.

also if you choke it or do the method on fox of knocking it out and stepping on it, there is no blood in the fur. The first fox I ever trapped was a grey and I shot it in the head and it kicked around for a little while and got blood all over it. Makes it a little easier in the long run not having to wash and dry the pelt.

ok ratter i know what you was tryin to say ,,

will i would say a lung shot but its not going to put it down fast either just shot him beteew the eyes and wash him in a creek,, now on a coyote it dont make a differnt i think if you look at a coyote the wrong way it will bleed at times

I agree go with the lungs/heart shots.I try to stay away from headshots if I can help it.It makes skinnin the head out pretty hard I think.Head shots tend to bleed pretty badly both inside and out.
I shot a bobcat I caught last year through the heart and lungs and it didnt bleed at all hardly so I would have to say thats the way to go.And it died instantly so thats always a good thing.But if its an instant kill its not gonna bleed much anyway.Dead things dont bleed.

All of the coytes I've skinned that have been shot in the head were pretty hard to skin I thought.I messed up on the eyelids on a few of them.The first one I ever skinned had been shot in the lower jaw and that was bad enough but the buddy of mine who shot it didnt want to shoot the yote again so he got a hammer and smacked it over the head.That thing was so bloody that I couldnt tell what in the heck I was doing.But then again those coyotes I skinned were shot with a centerfire rifle so that could be why.Im not sure but its just alot easier for me to see what Im doing if all of the blood is on the side and not where I have to do the tedious work like workin on the eyelids and lips and stuff.You might get away with shootin a critter in the head with a .22lr and it wouldnt be too messy.I didnt really think about that.Wow I feel dumb,I should have thought about it since most people dont shoot the critters they catch with a .223,.204,or .243 I wouldnt imagine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Before I was old enough to use/carry a gun I had to knock all critters. Coon, possum, muskrat, beaver and fox. A good clubbing is no less humane than a bullet. Even if you didn't get em dead on the first swing (which was rare) they are out cold and didn't have a clue what was going on. May sound brutal but in reality, it's just as humane. Same goes for nose knockin and then breaking the neck or chest stomping.

I think it might have traumatized my dad though. Something about watching his 12 year old son haul back and club a coon with the baseball bat that he had gotten me for Little League made him wonder what I was gonna be like when I got older!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

CB

Back