bullet holes

rabidhunter66

What do you guys do with the critters with holes in them? Do you sew the holes up or leave them? If you sew them up what do you use and how much of a hit to you take when when you sell them.

most of the die hard trappers who sell fur will not shoot them....

the alternative to shooting can be a hard pill to swallow though...

I know a guy who sells his bobcat and coyote skins after shooting them and he is happy with the return...

If it's a small hole...like 22 cal, I don't sew it up.
If the hole is like a dime or bigger, I sew it closed.
I use white upholstery thread and use a running stitch like on a baseball.
If you do a good job, you won't take a hit at all because the buyer will never know. From the outside you shouldn't see or feel a thing. From the inside you will have a tiny ridge where it's sewn, but thats it.
M

unless your coyote holes are in the top 1/3 of the pelt... i wouldn't worry about it... on a coyote pelt only a belt down the center of the back is what the buyer is looking at... most of coyote pelt goes to the way side as trim or out the trash...
cats.... sew em' up good advice up top there... i do not shoot my trapped cats i don't want any blood on the fur..

Quote:
What kind of needle do you use?

I'll assume this question is directed towards me since I was talking about sewing stuff up. I currently use a regular needle I "borrowed" from the wife. It's on the heavier side, like maybe one you'd use for quilting? It's OK but hard to push through because its just "parting" the hide fibers with the point.
But before this fall gets underway, I want to get a real leather sewing needle. They are curved for a better hold and have the trianglular "cut on contact" tips that will penetrate the hide easier. I'll get my needle from my fur buyer for about $2. I would think a leather shop would have the same needles.

M

The wife works for a surgeon and I asked her to bring me home a couple of theirs to try. She was like, "try on what?" I told her she didnt wanna know...lol We have this deal...The deal is I dont talk about dead things and she dosnt talk about stuff they cut out of people at work!!! Anyway I will give them a try.

Sew em up put them in the washing machine with a little fabric softner and stretch them.

We used Carpet thread White or Black and a straight needle.

I found these two pictures that I took last year. Not sure why I'd do that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Anyway, this is typical damage I get shooting coyotes. These are of the entrance hole. No exit hole.

Edit to add: These coyotes were shot with the Barnes 36gr Grenade bullet. Someone had asked about the damage they do...this is it. That's why I posted the pics.

bullethole1.jpg

Different hide.
bullethole2.jpg

This is why I rarely have to sew anything.

M

Last edited:
I just got back from the Nebraska Fur Harvester convention and one of the live demos was a guy from Canada skining several critters and he helps grade fur at the big auctions in Canada and told us never to sew up any holes,they wont dock for holes because they have machines that can sew up holes that you will never see(he showed us some furs that were sewn and on the leather side it looked like a small scar after sewn with their machines)just thought I might save you some time!!!

Quote:
I just got back from the Nebraska Fur Harvester convention and one of the live demos was a guy from Canada skining several critters and he helps grade fur at the big auctions in Canada and told us never to sew up any holes,they wont dock for holes because they have machines that can sew up holes that you will never see(he showed us some furs that were sewn and on the leather side it looked like a small scar after sewn with their machines)just thought I might save you some time!!!

good info

Not to sew good information. I was told the same thing buy my old buyer. He said two little holes theres no docking big holes is a different story or a bunch of littler holes he will dock. There was a younger guy that brought in a few coons he had skinedand he sure was knife happy. Lots of holes in that coon. But he was just starting out and we have all been there. The funny thing is the next week i seen him there again and not a one of them were skined he sold them whole. Not sure how he kept them good but he had a whole truck bed full on a mini pick up. I think he got less for the whole coons then he did for the holey coon he skinned. poor guy cant win for loseing havent seen him since then. Thought some of you would get a kick out of that.

What exactly is the other option to killing them without shooting...? I am sure this is a dumb question, i have a few ideas but would like to know correct answer

A good stiff heal to the lung-heart area after stunning them with a light crack on the muzzel. This is for coyotes, fox stun them, then bend neck over backwards to break neck, cats get the catch pole, they instantly go to sleep, you got 20-25 seconds to let them loose or leave it on for harvesting them.

Hm...interesting. I had i guess worse ideas in mind. I guess i have just heard so cruel stories from people around here...and they don't even trap.

Back