Does anyone call or hunt opossum?

My favorite nighttime passtime when I was a little kid was to grab my old Crossman and a flashlight and go wander the neighborhood at night hunting them little things. I trap them alot too, usually I just relocate them. Sometimes they just aint so lucky though. I've probably killed more with a stick and boot than anything. Had one on a buddy's place snapping at me when checking a trap. A nice Federal flightcontrol 3" turkey load from about 6 inches away solved that. At the same time though I like possums because they are so amusing. I have raised them before(momma was roadkill) and got to liking the critters. Didn't stop me from killin their kin but I liked mine. If you feed them good clean food and such they are quite clean animals. All they did was wash themselves. They'd love to crawl under a jacket or in a pocket. I had one escape from their cage and about 3 months later one was on the back porch one night. I opened the door and sure enough it was her and before i could hit the light she ran up my pants leg and climbed up on my shoulder. pretty funny stuff.

Quote:
Like others have said, possum fur was popular years ago.

It is still used as a semi-novelty kind of deal.

The bikinis are possum skin and the coat is possum fur, but the girls would probably make anything look good (...and nothing look great,lol!)

Possums1.jpg

Man sure makes me want to be a opossum

No I don't call or hunt opossums... They are a giant rat that does nothing but annoy me... I coonhunt w/ hounds and IF my dogs ever treed one, they would meet the electric collar for a few seconds... They all need shot, but I'm not going out of my way too hunt them !!! If you run across any please fill free to do away with it. And control the Grinner population !!! LOL

Dog food and a leg hold trap. 22 in the head, my son loved to check the trapline with me. Those nasty little buggers need to be capped.

When I was a kid, early 50's, we would sell groundhogs and possums to the "lower" side of town, for .50 each. That .50 bought a box of Peters Rocket .22 longs. I have eaten groundhog, but not possum!

Quote:
When I was a kid, early 50's, we would sell groundhogs and possums to the "lower" side of town, for .50 each. That .50 bought a box of Peters Rocket .22 longs. I have eaten groundhog, but not possum!

I don't think I'd eat either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'd have to be pretty hungry anyway.

Quote:
Dog food and a leg hold trap. 22 in the head, my son loved to check the trapline with me. Those nasty little buggers need to be capped.

I'm thinking maybe dog food in a bowl along the woods and a spotlight in my spare time. I caught one on my porch once in my dogs bowl; he ended up meeting the Ruger .22 pistol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Lesson time
Back in the 80's there was an article in the "Trapper and Predator Caller" about animal intelligence. They compared brain size by calculating the number of "beans" a certain animals cavity would hold. I don't remember the exact number but it went something like this: Housecat = 20, Coon = 20, Possum = 3!!! It was some unbelievable spread like that.

So, you are saying that possums are DEMOCRATS? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

No wonder nobody likes them.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif No wonder I like this place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif! You just made my day Rockinbbar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Now I know what the problem is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Glad I could oblige you Greg! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hope the election is going your way. We are all pulling for you.

Barry

I used to catch them back in NY. I sent them to NAFA to get sold and a couple of them sat there for 2 years before finally being sold. I think I got .25 apiece for the last couple. We caught some big ones and I am pretty sure we got over $5 apiece for those. Good money for a kid when they are so darn easy to trap. My dad always made me skin out whatever I caught, and its good practice for the more valuable fur.

I would see if Foxpro has a "Dead Cow" call. There is nothing a possum like more than dead cows. They eat their way in below the rib cage and crawl inside. Free food and lodging until all of the guts are gone. I've see them live inside the same cow for more than a week.

I'm told that back in the depression people ate them. They would catch them with a dog or trap then pen them up for a week or so and feed them corn bread to clean them out. I heard that it taste like pork. I guess that's another white meat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back