Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1052722 - 09/03/08 07:45 AM cougar in central Iowa
kirby Offline
PM senior

Loc: nowheresville
For the last 6yrs or so. A cougar has been seen on rare occasions by some residents in my county. I've spoken with some of them. A couple of them, believe there are two cougars. As one day, a local farmer/deer hunter seen two cougars that were around 8 miles or so apart during the same short time-frame.

Recently I met & visited with a farmer in the area. He told me, he seen a cougar last Fall, while he was harvesting some beans. Cougar came out of a pine tree patch on some CRP land.

Farmer stated his neighboring farmer seen a cougar in the same focal area around 2-wks later, while he was harvesting a field near that pine tree patch.

I've read where a cougar will travel 50 miles in a day. I suspect some truth to that. I realize the small percentage of myself seeing one out hunting coyote. Needless to say, would be cool & a chance to tag one.

Edited by kirby (09/03/08 07:45 AM)

#1052723 - 09/03/08 10:28 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
OldTurtle Offline

Loc: East Central MO
We've had a lot of reported sightings in the last few years here as well.... The Dept of Conservation downplays their presence quite a bit, to the point that one agent told me if I saw one, shoot it and call him...(Missouri restricts killing one unless it is attacking you or in the active process of killing your livestock).... so I'd have to have a good frontal chest shot...

One of the PM members got a good trail cam pic last Fall of one around Chillicothe, MO and it was verified by the DoC from tracks, etc.. Check out the MO Dept of Conservation website and somewhere in there, they have the documentation standards for species sightings... It's good information to have, just in case..... Kind of like investigating a crime scene..

With all the deer population that has been in the northern part of the state for the last few years and the reported hunting range of a Cougar,,, It wouldn't surprise me that there weren't several along and on either side of waterways..

#1052724 - 09/03/08 10:39 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: OldTurtle]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Spoke with a farmer a couple Winter's ago. His bud[a farmer] as well. Had a good sized calf. Have an animal leave claw marks on it's flanks & hind quarters. This was in the SouEastern part of my county. My farmer friend ask my opinion. I told him, could've been a cougar attack.

Migrating animals; Spoke to a hunter, who told me. A farmer friend of his...some 25yrs ago or so. killed one of two wolves that were trying to pull down a calf up in his stockyard. The other wolf scattered never to be seen again by that farmer.

A wolf, a rare sight to see in Iowa.

#1052725 - 09/04/08 08:43 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
GC Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: Missouri
The MDC is investigating a mountain lion attack on a horse in the county just north of me right now. According to news reports, and, from what I gather from a friend on that Sheriff's Department, this is the real deal and will be something like our tenth "confirmed" mountain lion in Missouri by MDC standards of proof.

#1052726 - 09/04/08 09:22 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: GC]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Interesting GC.

What gets me about the sighting in my county. Other than the Iowa River basin. The countryside is most all open rolling cropland hills. The farmer that[recently] told me of his sighting [last harvest]. That landscape[in his area] is all open rolling cropland. With very few "little timber patch's".

Last couple of Winter's, I searched hard, hunting 16-18[est] days a month for most all the season. Never could confirm a lion track . Of course, I searched the Western 1/2 of the county mainly[along the river bottom] . Maybe this Winter.

Edited by kirby (09/04/08 09:24 AM)

#1052727 - 09/05/08 06:38 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
ASmith Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: odessa mo.
I can remeber around here if you saw a turkey it was questioned, now days with remote areas getting farther apart that any animal will learn to adapt to any local or situation,i could have sworn i saw a black bear years ago down in Benton county Mo. and people have said for years around Grant City in northern Mo. that they have seen mountain lions.I have seen some strange things in the wild but mostly just humans acting dumb.

#1052728 - 09/06/08 05:08 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: ASmith]
GC Offline
PM Junkie

ASmith,
If you thought you saw a black bear here in Missouri, you probably did. Estimates of our bear population by the MDC range from 300 to 900 for the state. Most of those in the southern half - the rugged Ozarks. I called one while coyote hunting during a prolonged mild spell in late winter a few years ago. Bear no longer surprise knowledgable Show Me Stater's.

#1052729 - 09/06/08 06:03 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: GC]
ASmith Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: odessa mo.
Your right GC on the bears love to see the numbers go up for maybe a drawing hunt but thats going to take a while but then again it didn't take long for the otters to take hold .

#1052730 - 09/06/08 09:59 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: ASmith]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Estherville,IA
They see them around here sometimes ,too. A guy by Ft. Dodge saw a couple young ones while turkey hunting. I would like to give one a 40gr Nosler! 15 miles away in a pasture along the Des Moines river a cow was killed by one. I talked to the vet's assistant that confimed the kill and she said it was tore up pretty bad. I thought it might have been a younger one that didn't know how to do it or not strong enough?

#1052731 - 09/06/08 10:24 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: Tactical .20]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

I'm pretty sure I found a wolf print, it seemed too narrow to be a round dog print. It was in soft field dirt close to a road.

#1052732 - 09/08/08 08:45 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: Tactical .20]
GC Offline
PM Junkie

Speaking of wolves, a few years ago a farmer in central Missouri was returning from deer hunting and saw what he thought was a large coyote or feral dog chasing some of his lambs around behind his barn. He killed the animal and when he walked up to it he found a radio collar on it. Turned out to be a young wolf from Wisconsin that had been part of a research study there. Somehow it wandered down here before it got in trouble. Another deer hunter in southern Missouri killed a whooping big bull elk during deer season once. That one was believed to have wandered up through the Ozarks from the Arkansas elk herd reintroduction. I can also remember a bull moose that stayed in a farmers pasture with his cows for quite awhile in northern Missouri years back. The guess was that it came from Minnesota. Eventually it wandered off after being featured on all the T.V. news cast in Missouri for some time. We don't normally have that kind of stuff here, but who knows what is possible at odd times...

#1052733 - 09/08/08 11:06 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: GC]
R.Shaw Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Nebraska
GC..I remember the moose. It was spotted about 6 miles north of where I live. A few of us decided to track it the next day. Very easy to track because of the snow cover and the durn thing crossed the roads where other wildlife crossed. Pretty simple to cut the roads and look at those locations.

Anyways we took the track south for a few miles and the moose entered about 200 acres of timber. Cut the roads around the timber and the moose had not left. Went in on foot and got up on him. The day before he had both horns, but that day only one side was left. The moose let us get by with quite a bit of movement, but when the wind swirled in the timber, we were off to the races. Chased him around in there for most of the afternoon and finally quit. The moose was headed in a south direction and last track I had of that moose was near St.Louis. He hung out around a river bottom there for a few days and suddenly just disappeared. I always figureds someone had quite a pile of good meat for the rest of the winter.LOL

Randy

Wiley E...I place as much value on learning what not to do as I do in knowing what to do.

#1052734 - 09/08/08 12:35 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: R.Shaw]
GC Offline
PM Junkie

If the poor critter wandered down near North St. Louis it probably got jacked for its "bling." Dangerous area...

#1052735 - 09/10/08 09:29 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: GC]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Heard another report from last Fall about the cougar remarked above. This cougar is coming up from the river bottom, following a timbered creek. Then working it's way to a 40 acre timber. From there it travels another creek feeder, to that little pine tree patch in the CRP. I'm drooling now, LOL!

#1052736 - 09/10/08 09:37 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
TA17rem Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Minn.
Most of the moose in Mn. live up on the north west or north east side of the state and about every 5-6 years we get one or two that work there way south and head into iowa.
we also have had a few lions running around the state. One was seen by the DNR up in northern MN. in a refuge. This lion had a radio collar on and it turned out the lion was out of the black hills..
Two others where spotted in the southern part of the state and may have moved down into Iowa or east into Wisc..

#1052737 - 09/10/08 09:50 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: TA17rem]
kirby Offline
PM senior

I've heard they probably came from the Black Hills as well. My post above, lion seen around the same time as when the two farmer's seen one. Not to mention within a 3 mile radius. The report I heard the other day. Was from last Fall. A group was deer hunting that 40 acre timber.

A poster down the fenceline[by the creek], came face to face with the lion as it was pushed from the timber. The guy[poster] had a shotgun with slugs, but let the lion pass

This Winter, I see a fresh track going into an open section & not coming out. Cat will have heck to pay

#1052738 - 09/11/08 08:27 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
GC Offline
PM Junkie

Would that be legal there?

#1052739 - 09/11/08 08:39 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: GC]
kirby Offline
PM senior

CO, told me they are not protected, no season on them. He also told me I wouldn't even need a hunting license to shoot one. If that cat is still roaming that area every two wks or so. Then I stand a decent chance of picking up his track after a snow, or seeing him out on the open hills/valleys.

I know the area, very well. From what I've been told. Sounds as if this cat travels the timbered feeder creeks, that don't have barbed fencelines to climb, jump or craw through/under.

I carry a County Platt book with me while hunting. In case I see a coyote on non-permissioned land.

#1052740 - 09/12/08 04:26 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
ADCcoyote Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Somewhere out west,east of the...
The majority of lions coming into Iowa are from the black hills, younger males that have been booted by much larger toms, once they leave the confines of the hills, they become pretty nomadic and don't stay in an area very often, the home range of these cats is quite large but even where I'm at, 2 hrs from the hills they can move 10+ miles in a night and make getting them tough.

A fresh berried kill might be the ticket alot of times they come back the next night to take a feed after that the majority are down the road miles from there.

I find tracks in the rough country in the winter often but these are dispersal cats and could be 20 miles in a day or two real easy. The more cover the tougher one will have even getting a glimpse of these cats. High prey base of deer in cover will have cats in cat territory, in winter when deer group up this is a calling card for these cats and they are very adept hunters for sure. Might get them to stay a short spell as long as they aren't pressured too much.

#1052741 - 09/13/08 08:50 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: ADCcoyote]
kirby Offline
PM senior

I haven't heard of anyone taking a shot @ one, nor actively hunting them. So I'd say there is little to no pressure on a cougar in this area. As for prey base. My county has a boatload of deer, no shortage there.

Two season's ago. A farmer/deer hunter. Watched a cougar push a small herd of deer out of a small timber patch in a wide open rolling hilled mile section. Seen the cougar, leap on the flanks of the last deer, then got thrown/bucked off. He couldn't believe what he was watching @ 1st.

He told me the cougar & deer were a bit over 100yrds from him. He had a 12ga with slugs. He held his fire.

#1052742 - 09/25/08 01:09 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
The SIG Way Offline
Seasoned Member

Here in NE it would be illegal as heck to shoot one---just cause there's no season doesn't mean they're not protected----better go make sure before you pull the trigger on one.

#1052743 - 09/25/08 06:48 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: The SIG Way]
kirby Offline
PM senior

A couple of them have already been shot in Iowa. No reason, IMO for the local CO, to lie to me, as to the legal issue.

#1052744 - 10/02/08 10:38 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

No protection in IA, you can shoot one here.

#1052745 - 10/04/08 08:51 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: Tactical .20]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Spoke with about a dozen of my farmer's last few days, making sure my hunting permission is still granted. One of them said, he & his wife seen a cougar come up out of a ditch & down the other side following a timbered creek 3 yrs ago, early am. The area he spoke of it roughly 4 miles SouEast of where one was seen last Fall.

On another note, he said he grew up in Hardin County[he's 84yrs old]. When as a young guy he & his neighbors trapped for food & pelts back then. Said, an occasional wolf & pr's of wolves were seen & trapped along the Iowa River bottom. He never caught one, but his neighbors caught several.

I told him, I've seen 3 wolves in central Iowa the last 44yrs. Two of the three, were while out hunting coyote. A rarity for sure.

#1052746 - 10/11/08 12:56 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Wow, I would like to see a wolf, too. I may see one in WY, they are spreading out and killing big game, better go elk hunting before too long, or they maybe hard to find, if the wolf isn't huntable, soon.

#1052747 - 10/20/08 10:11 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: Tactical .20]
kirby Offline
PM senior

I never counted[as a wolf sighting] the large canine. I seen in Winter early pm on my way to Ackley Iowa. Around 15yrs ago or so. Canine was around 700yrds out running the outer edge of a timbered creek bottom. Looked like a wolf from it's size. But couldn'y verify for sure. Canine was stretched out running hard.

Friend & I were calling coyotes in the pm over in Tama County, Iowa a couple yrs ago. No coyotes called. Right before we left a timbered two mile section. We both long howled on our calls. A couple dogs howled, a couple coyotes howled. Then a wolf howled. Made the hair stand up on my neck.
Wolf let out one long wavering howl, all the other canines quickly went quiet.

Farmer seen a wolf in this section last Fall. He said it was very large.

Edited by kirby (10/21/08 06:12 PM)

#1052748 - 10/21/08 08:38 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Wow, one is living near you? I wonder if it will find a mate, if it stays? Wouldn't that be a sight to come up on one in your trap! Pictures would be great that close.

#1052749 - 10/21/08 10:16 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: Tactical .20]
kirby Offline
PM senior

If your talking about wolve's, then no. I believe wolve's rarely pass through central Iowa. As they have been seen, but not continously seen in a local area.

As for cougars. Yeah one has been seen over the last 5yrs. So I'd say yes, one is living in the area. The last report I heard, was straight South of me around 5 miles or so. This cougar, no doubt has a very large travel route.

A friend of mine, a farmer & retired fellow co-worker. Seen two cougars in one day out deer hunting on Winter snow 2yrs ago. Some laughed at him. I believe him, he doesn't BS.

I take a camera with me everytime I'm out hunting coyote. So I expect to see a track this Winter. If nothing else.

Edited by kirby (10/21/08 10:24 PM)

#1052750 - 10/22/08 08:10 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
GC Offline
PM Junkie

kirby,
I'm gonna give you a new nickname - Jungle Jim Kirby. You got all those large wild critters running around there in central Iowa, it would seem to fit. How does that go, elephants, lions, tigers, and bears, oh my!

#1052751 - 10/22/08 08:26 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: GC]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Yeah I know what some people are thinking. Coydogs, cougars & wolves. You've got to be crapping me! LOL!

No big whoop, as I've seen two of the three. Perhaps this Winter snowfly I'll get a view of the 3rd.

Reason being, IMO...Why I've seen the things I have. Is I've hunted many yrs & hunt alot. From post harvest, until late Spring[planting time]. Generally 16-18 days a month. Not to mention, the open terrain & I'm well versed in spotting critters way out there.

I like "Yungle Yim" better

#1052752 - 10/24/08 09:59 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
Rich Cronk Offline
Retired Moderator

Loc: Western Iowa
There most surely are a few cougars in Iowa. A few years ago, I investigated the report of a cougar sighting within the city limits of Council Bluffs. I drove out North Broadway, turned onto Mud Hollow road, and stopped near a very large culvert where Indian creek runs under School Hill road. I found large cougar tracks in the mud at bottom of this culvert. The tracks showed that the cougar had walked up and down the creek bed, and through the culvert both ways. I obtained permission from a retired doctor to try calling this cougar on his land. A nearby neighbor didn't like my being there because he knew about the cougar and wanted it for himself. We both wanted a cougar rug I think. I called the area several times with no luck. I knew that cougars travel many miles in a day, and my chances of the cougar being within hearing distance of my call were very slim. If they hear the call, they will come.

--------
FoxPro Field Staff
-------------------------
www.cronkpredatorcalls.com

#1052753 - 10/25/08 07:40 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: Rich Cronk]
smokem Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: midwest
If someone sees a mountain lion and does not mention how long the tail was, then I usaully think what they say was a bobcat.. Almost everytime someone sees a lion for the first time they say something about how long a tail it had.There are way more bobcats than there are lions and bobcats are much easier to happen upon than lions, however I don't hear much about people seeing bobcats.

#1052754 - 10/25/08 08:47 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: smokem]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Marshall County, Iowa[County I hunt mainly]. Does have Bobcat[not many, IMO]. Mainly, they are along the Iowa River.

A retired Fire Capt, who owns some countryside along the North side of the Iowa River. Stopped by the other day. He owns a male German Wirehaired Pointer. Good sized dog full of kick-butt.
This dog has fought coyotes, even pr's of coyotes. On their land that overlooks the river bottom below the bluffs.

He remarked, some days his dog will Not leave the open porch. He suspects, thats when the cougar is near. Otherwise that dog roams his land freely. Et kills or runs off all other animals.

I see a cougar away from that timbered river bottom. He's got heck to pay. As my fatgirl will be knawing on his carass

Rich C. You still owe me a cup.
---------------
Yea old retired den hole huffer-dogs

#1052755 - 10/25/08 11:46 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
Rich Cronk Offline
Retired Moderator

"Rich C. You still owe me a cup."
------------------------------
Kirby,
You can stop by my house and drink a whole pot of coffee whenever you like. If I have to drive way up there to buy your coffee, you must allow me to huff a couple of those gopher holes you call "dens". LOL

--------
FoxPro Field Staff

#1052756 - 10/25/08 12:01 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: Rich Cronk]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Hmmm, note to self; Check gopher holes fur canines. LOL!

#1052757 - 10/26/08 09:13 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
jumprightinit Online
PM senior

Loc: Washistan
I hunted moose in Northern Alberta. One year there wouldn't hardly be any wolves around and a couple of years later there were way too many. Then hardly any again. I wouldn't think there would be any guarantees on a wolf hunt.

LIBERALS.
Be careful. Sometimes they look like regular people.

No matter how you look at it at the end of the day BO still stinks.

#1052758 - 10/31/08 08:56 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: jumprightinit]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Our Captain told my crew the other day. A friend of his,... [his friend] was sitting in a ground blind at the end of a long timber strip that hooked to a timbered creek[he was deer hunting]. This bowhunter, was about to leave & seen something coming through the trees.

He paused with an arrow on his bow. Soon he seen a cougar coming his way. He drew back, but had second thoughts. He was shaking & the arrow came off it's rest. Cougar heard the rattle & turned away. He said the cougar was well within bow range.

I Terraserved the area. It's 3 miles from the Iowa River[timbered creek dumps into the river]. Eastern edge of Marshall County, Iowa. Could be the same lion in my area. Who knows? Come on snow.

Edited by kirby (10/31/08 08:58 PM)

#1052759 - 11/01/08 01:53 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
nightwatchman Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: waterloo,ohio
a friend of mines family lives in iowa and a few years ago used a pack of dogs he owned to bay a large cougar in a culvert... there were plenty of witnesses there that day bc all of them were after it..
he shot the cougar, im not sure what he done with it but they do have the pictures...... they typically used the dogs to run coyotes and figured they would try there hand at the cougar since everyone was after it that day..

#1052760 - 11/01/08 03:30 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: nightwatchman]
kirby Offline
PM senior

nightwatchman,

What general area in Iowa?

#1052761 - 11/01/08 10:09 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
GC Offline
PM Junkie

Any chance of posting some of those pictures? That'd be neat.

#1052762 - 11/09/08 09:24 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: GC]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Called a number of farmer's last pm, making sure I still had permission to hunt coyote. Spoke to a couple new ones as well, to gain permission. Obtained permission, farmer's good.

Spoke with one new farmer, in this cougar territory from the visual reports I've heard. He told me, two yrs ago during Fall corn harvest. His hired hand was combining a standing corn near a small hayfield with a pond with a few trees around the pond. 1/4 mile from the farmsted.

Farmhand stated he seen a cougar laying by another brown animal[he initially thought was a dead deer] by this pond on the grass. He came around again, combining. Well that time, the animal he thought was a dead deer. Arose, he said it was a cougar as well. He remarked, one was quite abit larger than the other.

He then drove up to the farmhouse & told the farmer. Farmer went through his gun safe quickly & couldn't find ammo for his .243. So he grabbed his AR & drove out to the pond. Both lions were gone.

#1052763 - 11/14/08 10:22 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: GC]
nightwatchman Offline
Die Hard Member II

i dont have the pics... i have to ask him about it monday, we are going rabbit hunting together that morning(its his father and brothers that live out there).. his entire family moved to iowa years ago... there names are kliabers... very good christian family and they hunt dogs hard.. ive never been out there but his family lives around the corydon area... on 14 i believe is what he told me.. granted it was about 2 yrs ago he was telling me this story so its been atleast that since they killed the cougar... ill get more details monday and let you guys know...

#1052764 - 11/14/08 10:23 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: nightwatchman]
nightwatchman Offline
Die Hard Member II

i think theres some state ground out there called bobwhite state park... i think its close.. ive had some buddies pheasant hunt that area before and they stopped into see them.... so the gov. must be close to them too.

#1052765 - 11/26/08 03:43 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: nightwatchman]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Here is the pond with the pine trees. The two different farmer's, seen a cougar come out from. On two different days while harvesting. Pond is 1/8 mile from a gravel road.
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/moreammo/Scenery003.jpg

As I stoppped on the gravel to take a pic of this pond[above]. A coyote crossed[right to left, below the dike]. I couldn't get my camera out of the case quick enough
I wasn't hunting today anyway, just scouting around.
-----------------------------------------
Here is the other pond[same mile section, as the one above]. This pond is located to the East of the one above. This is the pond, the farmhand seen two cougar's laying on the grass, around the pond. While he harvested the adjacent corn field.
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/moreammo/Scenery004.jpg

Edited by kirby (11/26/08 03:51 PM)

#1052766 - 11/30/08 08:05 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
smokem Offline
Seasoned Member

I saw bigfoot one time chasing a wolf that was chasing a mountain lion that was chasing a deer.I think , but I could be wrong. I know of individuals who hunt these things for the government and have never happended per chance on one in their career.Some must just be luckier than others.

#1052767 - 11/30/08 04:41 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: smokem]
kirby Offline
PM senior

"I know of individuals who hunt these things for the government and have never happended per chance on one in their career"

Would appear[according to you]. These individuals, are being paid, for services "NOT rendered"

I want my tax dollars back! LOL!

#1052768 - 11/30/08 08:08 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
smokem Offline
Seasoned Member

Kirby, have you ever been on a mountain lion hunt?The point being most sightings are not mountain lions,are not supported by any real evidence, even though someone says someone has pictures those pictures usually are never presented or are inconclusive.People tend to see what they think they want to see and right now all seem to want to see a mountain lion.Most in Iowa don't know the difference between a mountain lion and a bobcat and there are a lot more bobcats than lions. But oh well I guess all the suspense and speculation is half the fun. I have noticed here the the guys who think they have seen a lion usually have seen one more that once and usually have seen things no one else claims.. Just lucky I guess LOLLL

#1052769 - 11/30/08 08:23 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: smokem]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Why would I go on a "lion hunt". When said, professionals can't even find one? Hmmmm.

Actually smoken. I believe I seen the Mormon Ridge lion a few yrs back. But my view with my binocs & spotter scope was short lived. As this animal, got up & turned into a standing corn field.

At first quick view, I thought it was a very large Bobcat[it was sitting on a high crop hill, 1/2 mile away @ the time]. But when it raised up & turned into the corn. I seen a very long thick tail. I only told a few people of my sighting. You are perhaps, the 3rd or 4th.

Reason I don't yack that around. Is most don't/wouldn't believe it anywho. No big whoop to me. I could care less, who believes they exist in Iowa or not.

However, I do agree, with you a tad. About people who see animals that look like a lion. Understandable.

Fact is a lion has been repeatidly seen in my County for over 6yrs now.

Will "I" see a lion out hunting? Who knows, but if I do. Et this lion is on permissioned land. I will kill it. If/when I do, you'll get 1st dibs on it's colon.

#1052770 - 12/01/08 05:56 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
smokem Offline
Seasoned Member

Mountain lions in Iowa are documented by car strikes,so they do exist ,no questions.Lion hunters government or not do find and get mountain lions. Still the point is they are so secretive and elusive that the chances of just seeing one are extremely remote unless you are actually trying to hunt. That is why I question so many sightings. University of Minnesota did a study on song bird depredation and found even domestic cats were so secretive that for each one you see out in the wild ,there are twenty more that saw you.You ever noticeed when calling coyotes and a bobcat comes in that you will spot him a ways into the call sequence oor after and he is just sitting and looking your way. You wonder how long has he been there and how did he get that close without me seeing him.
Hunting lions invovles lots of scouting and trying to find covered kills that are returned to and then putting lion dogs on them, baying them and then shooting them.Most likely your will not even see the lion until the dogs put it at bay in a tree or rocks and you catch up with the dogs.

I met a government hunter in Wyoming who interestingly was from near Cumberland Iowa originally.. He had begun to try to call mountain lions. His observation was that when calling he had called them across a bare field and not seen them until he saw the tail wagging slowly inside of 50 yards.
You can keep the colon,you seem to be fascinated by them. PS your use of the latin language in your post is interesting.I studied Latin in HS, didn't know any other schools offered it.

#1052771 - 12/01/08 06:51 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: smokem]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Interesting. I've read some, on lions. Similar to what you've stated. I'm also familiar with hounds. As I use to have & hunted with hounds. What is not etched in stone though. Is a hunter doesn't have to be a "professional" to see one, nor kill one. A myth, to say the least...smile.

I'm familiar with feral cats as well. Often hidden yes, not secretive.
-----------
Abit of local history;

I met & conversed with a lady who owned & lived on Mormon Ridge. She & her two daughters, were having a picnic on their family camp ground site. Which lay behind their farmsted. On Mormon Ridge.

A lion came up from the river bottom & commenced to low crawl across their mowed[ie; very short grass] camp ground pasture. Towards one of her daughters.

The mother seen this, et yelled for her girls to run to the parked van. Meanwhile, the mother climbed atop of a picnic table & yelled/waived her arms @ the crouched lion. Soon the lion raised up, turned & slinked over the bluff down towards the river bottom.

The mother, told me the lion was less than 100 ft from her out in the open, while she yelled. Twas, not a golden lab.

For many yrs, I've hunted hard. 16-18 days a month, from mid October-Spring planting time[early April]. I know my country very well. Have hunted it, since 1964. I'm quite familiar with tracking & animal tracks.

My hunt area consists of 1-square mile sections. Mostly ALL OPEN rolling cropland, with little cover area's. My eyes are abit old, but regardless. I can pick out a partially buried coyote from near the 1/2 mile.

I've spoken with other experienced hunter's/farmer's included. Et they shared, their lion sightings/locations with me. One lion has a history, of following a certain timbered creek. Around every two wks. That lion, is the one I will kill, if seen. As the country is pretty open.

I don't know whether, there is two or three lions in my area. I believe there are two, for sure. That roam the river bottom & timbered feeder creeks. That origionate from within open farm cropland.

Yeah, odd's. I figure them pretty good for me. About every two wks.

Most medical terminology is Latin, otherwise mostly Greek. I was a medic for 17yrs. No big whoop.

#1052772 - 12/01/08 06:07 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Timber patch, a lion was pushed out from by deer hunter's. The two ponds above, are North of this timber on another mile section. A long winding grassy creek. Ties them altogether.
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/moreammo/Nov3108003.jpg?t=1228172655

#1052773 - 12/15/08 07:43 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Obtained some river bottom & bluff ground yesterday. Area which this lion has been roaming. Spoke with the landowner. She said, it stalked her dog up on the back porch. On their river bluff acrege, this last Summer. Her husband & her scared it off, back towards the river. More fresh snow a coming, good.

Edited by kirby (12/15/08 07:43 PM)

#1052774 - 12/16/08 10:55 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
nightwatchman Offline
Die Hard Member II

http://www.iowaoutdoors.org/article.php/20041020063101732

kirby, this article posted about the mountain lion killed in 04 in chariton is the one that my friends brother and father killed with there dogs. granted i dont have PROOF in pictures to post for the NON believers but their word is good for me. if you would like.. look them up if your close, their door is always open to people. the father is a retired minister and a good man...
i live next door to one of the brothers and we frequently hunt together. he goes out every year for christmas and we are planning a hunting trip out there the first of the year.. if your still hunting hard then i might look you up for some coyote hunting..

#1052775 - 12/16/08 01:43 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: nightwatchman]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Yeah, I read that before. I heard this recent last bow season. A hunter was set in a blind @ the end of a timber strip. Cougar come his way. He got real close within bow range. But the shooter, wouldn't draw on him, as he was scared, the wounded lion might turn on him. This was just SouWest of montour, Iowa abit. There's more than one, IMO. An ex-co-worker seen two different ones about 10 miles apart 2 season's ago. While out deer hunting.

If indeed the one in my area is still around. I expect, if nothing else. Is to find a track[if we would quit getting stinkin ice storms]. Et glazing over the snow. Your welcome to hunt with me anytime, if I'm free. Which is most often, LOL!

If I ever DO get one, everyone is gonna get sick of seeing all the pics, repeatidly...year after year. Forever

Edited by kirby (12/16/08 01:47 PM)

#1052776 - 12/16/08 02:07 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
nightwatchman Offline
Die Hard Member II

good luck... im sure there in there....

if we do make it out there 1st of the year i will send you a pm...

#1052777 - 02/26/09 09:31 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: nightwatchman]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Seen a pr of cougar tracks[walking abreast] shortly after Christmas, 1.5 miles North of the Iowa River. The tracks were 1/4 mile in a section, where I killed a coyote. One of the lions, occasionly left a tail swipe on the drifted wet snow.

We've had numerous snows since then. Not a track anywhere. The deer have also mostly headed back to the river timber. As the hunting season's have been closed for some time. I suspect the lions have gone there as well.

I plan to keep looking until the crops start to come up.

#1052778 - 02/26/09 10:08 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
PrairieMuffin Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc:
It's always the luck to not get proof when they are seen it's a quick ordeal.

Edited by PrairieMuffin (02/26/09 12:54 PM)

#1052779 - 02/26/09 11:37 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: PrairieMuffin]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Two days ago, I spoke with a co-worker who lives on the edge of town [City of Marshalltown, Iowa] is the town. Co-worker had his dog out the other evening. He heard, continueous loud screams coming from a nearby timber on the edge of town, late pm.

He said, he never heard such loud deep chested screams. Nor the sound of those screams. The screams made his dog freeze & bristle-up & the hair on my co-worker's arms stood up. He's heard domestic cat screams before. No housecat, no doubt.

Over the last 5-6yrs, numerous cougar sightings in this county[Marshall County, Iowa].

#1052780 - 02/27/09 02:56 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
ADCcoyote Offline
Die Hard Member

Mt Lions are not very vocal at all, they make very few sounds some females will do a low grunting type to bring back kittens but they are not a very vocal critter compaired to many others. I know someone who has studied them for 6+ years and in that time has heard them voclaize 3 times. I'm sure if you come up on one with kittens the female would make something of a noise but unless provoked the voclas are very few and far between.
I think many hear bobcats and the sort much more than a true lion vocal. Even though many are called in with "lion in heat" and also young tom sounds.
It would be even more rare to find a pair of lions that are staying in a given area for any length of time in more populated areas. If one was to find cougar kittens then one could presume you have a female that has set up a home range but when you are finding cats above 10 months- 2 years and singles far more common than pairs, then most of these are transiant lions. Even the pairs would more than likly be litter mates and of the same age class.
Most lion dispersal is in a North to NW direction, sure you have a few odd balls like the OK cat and the downtown chicago cat but alot go into ND,MT and Canada.

#1052781 - 03/01/09 08:49 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: ADCcoyote]
kirby Offline
PM senior

ADC,

Obviously I can't say what my co-worker heard. I only remarked of what he told me. I've heard female domestic cats in heat, so has he.
As for mountain lion's "screaming". I may be wrong, but I suspect a female lion, can/will make a loud squall/scream if in heat. Or at bay.

Many yrs ago[circa; 1971], my Dad had a male coyote trailhound. He would sometimes take down behind the city park, for a run/excercise.

The city park butts up against the Iowa river[plenty of timber], North end of Marshalltown, Iowa. One evening Dad, said his hound happened to take a track. Eventually treeing a "cat". It was pretty dark by that time, Dad got ahold of the hound's collar. As the hound wouldn't leave that tree upon command.

Dad said, "this cat screamed like a mountain lion". Dad couldn't see for sure what kind of cat it was in the darkeness. Needless to say, he left asap, not being armed & no flashlight.

#1052782 - 03/04/09 05:33 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
ADCcoyote Offline
Die Hard Member

Kirby then my question would be how did your dad know what a mt lion sounded like back in the day? Also was this summer and full of foilage or not and how tall was the tree in question? Was it a dark cloudy night or a full moon night?

Just saying many,many reports of lions are just that reports with no facts to back them up.We have had people swear on it and find out it was many other things but not a mt lion. People want tosee what isn't there alot of times, but if more people would educate themselves then the reporting would be much better and have more foundation to them.

Can you have mt lions in other places yes, are they setting up home and raising young in these more populated areas? So far reasearch doesn't prove that to be a fact. They adapt but they also have very large home ranges the "males" in smaller farm country if they where setting up a home range people would see them for sure. Even in areas that are more remote where you have a decent lion population people see them very often.

#1052783 - 03/04/09 06:37 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: ADCcoyote]
kirby Offline
PM senior

There are/was old movies on T.V, showing cougars "screaming" This was many yrs ago, as an example. My Dad is no longer alive, to ask. But he said it was a large cat. He thought sounded like a cougar.

I suppose it could've been a bobcat?, but I doubt it. As there are none around central Marshall County Iowa. Some Bobcat, over in neighboring[Tama County] to the East. Much better habitiat & more prey from what I've seen over there.

I've personally spoken with a handfull of Marshall County people who have seen a lion, relatively close. No mistake to them what it was. Why, so many sightings over the last 5-6yrs. I really have no clue.

There was many yrs ago, a guy who lived in the same small town. Where my Dad lived[East end of Marshall County]. That guy had two cougars & two grey wolves, in a hog panel enclosure. The guy moved & the pens were tore down. Where did those animals go? I suspect he turned them all loose.

#1052784 - 03/04/09 06:56 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
kirby Offline
PM senior

SouWest Marshall County...
Four yrs ago, I met a farmer who had coyotes killing his sheep. I done what I could for him. He told me to ask the widow lady[farmer] down the road to hunt as well. I did, we became friends.

Two yrs ago, she seen a large cat cross the gravel road down from her house[late pm]. One night she heard a large cat scream down in a brushy draw behind her house. She said, her dogs wouldn't go outside. Her dogs continued this behavior off/on over the next yr.

Not last Fall, but the Fall before last. This lady & her boy friend where driving around sight seeing[daytime] & looking at her farm property. They both seen a long tan colored animal laying about a 1/4 mile off the gravel on her CRP land. They pulled onto the land & drove nearer.

It was a cougar sunning itself. They stopped about 50' away from the lion in disbelief. The lion casually got up & walked towards some timber.

Two yrs ago, I met a lady through my wife. Whom wanted some remodeling done. I done the work & we visited. I told her I hunted coyotes. She use to be married & had an acrege NorWest of Albion Iowa a couple miles[near the Iowa River bluffs].

They had a campground[w/electrical hook-ups] on some pasture land behind their house. That they rented to campers for a fee. One day the mother took her two daughters out back to have a pick-nic.

As they were unpacking. A cougar was soon seen low crawling towards them[on the mowed grass] from the top side of the timbered river bluff.
The mother told her daughters to run to the van, they did.
The lion kept creeping closer to the Mother. She stood upon a pick-nic table yelling & waving her arms. The cougar stopped & then turned back towards the river. Lady said it got very close to her. They quit going back on their property, near the river.

#1052785 - 03/05/09 01:30 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
masshunter Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: western mass
I'm about 1/2 thru a real good book called "Beast of Never, Cat of God" about mt lions in the mid-west, mostly Mich. Real interesting stuff, both pro & con. Also talks about Iowa, Minn, Illinois,N&S Dakota ect. What about that cat shot in Chicago last spring? Any more come out, was it an escaped pet, or wild, did they do any DNA testing to find where it came from? I guess the Black Hills population would be the obvious source of the Iowa cat.

#1052786 - 03/13/09 06:47 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
moladihunter Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Northern Missouri
A gentleman my husband worked with lives in South Central Iowa. His wife got pictures of a pair of cougars just outside their house.
And here in our neighborhood in North Central Missouri and mind you we live within an earshot of Iowa, they have been one has been spotted by more than one person. My neighbor seen one across the road from their house watching their cattle. My mother inlaw had one cross the road in front of her vehicle just four miles down the road from our house.And there as been other sightings.
The thing people need to remember is that a cougar has territory of 100 miles. My husbands uncle casted the print from one on his place just 10 miles from where we live.
And on the black bears in Northern Missouri. Several have been seen in the Pattonsburg area. A coworker found sign on her place down there.

#1052787 - 04/04/09 07:55 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: moladihunter]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Interesting, moladihunter.

A rather disapointing Winter. Not that I didn't put in a boatload of time, looking for a fresh track or a sighting. I expected to come across a fresh track & find one in a mile section. But no cigar.

Good news is, I found a pr of older tracks early this last Winter. I expect they are still alive & hanging along the timbered Iowa River bluffs. As I haven't heard of any being killed or hit by a vehicle all yr.

Were supposed to get a little snow tonight. One more fleeting chance I wreckon.

#1052788 - 06/08/09 09:05 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Spoke with a retired Fire Capt the other day. He spoke with a local farmer last yr. Whom seen a cougar trying to pull down a deer, along a timbered creek bottom one day. The retired Fire Capt's wife, seen a cougar on their front porch two yrs ago[they live along the Iowa River, on a high bluff acrege]. This is all in the same focal area[within two miles]. Of where I seen a pr of cougar tracks last Winter. Walking Northbound on a field draw, heading towards a large timber patch.

From what I have deducted is, these cougar[s] are following the deer up from the river bottom area. During deer season. The deer head Northbound to open hilly adjoining mile crop sections, that have timber strips & or timber patch's.

I hunted the surrounding sections hard last Winter. I only seen the 1-pr of cougar tracks. As when deer season closed. The deer went back to the river bottom area. So I suspect the cougar[s] followed suit.

Edited by kirby (06/08/09 09:06 AM)

#1052789 - 06/13/09 01:00 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
deerassassin Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Fairfield, Iowa
$10 says that the DNR will deny that there was or ever will be any cougars in iowa. If you ask about wolves they deny that too. My stepsisters cousin works for the DNR and he said that they turned 12 neutard or spade wolves lose north east of washington. I don't know about cougars being turned lose by the DNR all i've heard is roomers. A very likely idea is that the dominate males push the young males outta there area so they come east. Black bear, lions, bobcat, and hogs i think iowa might need some elk too got alomst everything else.
Moladihunter how far you live from bloomfield?

#1052790 - 06/13/09 11:32 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: deerassassin]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Why would they[IDNR] turn loose neutered wolves? Sounds odd to me. As for the cougars in Iowa. I've read where the IDNR, has admitted to some being in the state. Personally, I don't buy into that they [IDNR] has released any cougars in Iowa. I agree with some, they traveled here on their own. From neighboring states.

As for the wolves in Iowa. I have no doubts they've done the same. Traveled from neighboring states. Perhaps a few were released into the wild by their owners & or breeders.

Awhile back, I conversed with an old guy who watched his neighbors & relatives trap wolves many yrs ago in central Iowa[up along the Iowa River by Eldora, Iowa]. I also spoke with an old farmer two seasons ago. He was in his late 80's if I recall. He told me, he seen lone wolves & some pr's pass through the neighboring farm ground. Which is in my coyote hunt area.

A couple of seasons ago Winter snowfly, I remarked on another site. Early one am after a fresh snow. I went out looking for coyote. Came across a very fresh track crossing a gravel roadway. I got out to inspect. Very large prints, I knew this canine was not far away into the two mile section. I rounded the end of the section & around 1/2 mile into the section. I seen a very large canine working it's way Westbound. Canine looked my way as well. Watched him cross through a spread in a 1/2 mile fence wire.

It was a tad foggy out. But I could tell his size as compared to the fenceline it crossed through. Not a coyote, but I couldn't absolutely say it was a wolf either. Even after zooming him with my 60x spotter. If I had to pick[coyote vs wolf], I'd say wolf based on it's size. Never seen him again.

#1052791 - 06/13/09 12:33 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
deerassassin Offline
Seasoned Member

They turned loose the wolves because of the deer population. I did not speak to the man who siad it that was what i was told. What would you do if you saw that wolf with your dogs in the truck? Do you think they could kill a lone wolf?

#1052792 - 06/13/09 02:03 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: deerassassin]
kirby Offline
PM senior

I haven't owned any hounds in quite afew yrs. Many yrs ago, we did have two hounds that caught & fought a lone nomad wolf. Both hounds, got whipped good. Both hounds had many bite puncture & slash wounds. About the head/muzzle, neck & chest area, from face to face fighting with that lone wolf. Regardless, they both held their own for a short while. Wolf got away.

BTW, I've also read of other's opinions about the IDNR, releasing cougars & other animals. I just don't buy it is all. Main reason, I don't is, they could make money by opening early & extending deer season. Beyond it's regular dates/times. To help control deer pop.

Another thought is, why would they take the risk/liability of releasing an animal[cougar]. That could stalk & kill a human? For the sole reason/hope to regulate the increase in deer pop. That would be quite foolish.

#1052793 - 06/13/09 10:30 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
deerassassin Offline
Seasoned Member

We never used to have a bobcat seacon until last year. I know that we have always had them but why did they suddenly open a season. What type of hounds?

#1052794 - 06/13/09 11:05 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: deerassassin]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Both hounds were large males of their breed. One a Black-N-Tan, the other a Walker. They were excellent dogs with alot of grit & stamina.

#1052795 - 06/18/09 01:55 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
Gomer746 Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Blue Jay, CA
States, especially lately in the midwest deny cougar populations because if they are knowingly present, then the DNR is obligated to have a management plan and to do population surveys. Denying the presence of the animals is a way to save money from these costly programs.

#1052796 - 06/18/09 02:31 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: Gomer746]
GC Offline
PM Junkie

Quote:

States, especially lately in the midwest deny cougar populations because if they are knowingly present, then the DNR is obligated to have a management plan and to do population surveys. Denying the presence of the animals is a way to save money from these costly programs.

Not true in all states... Missouri listed mountain lions as an undesirable species that would be unable to coexist in modern times in our state. Mountain lions are protected in Missouri, however, there is zero management effort being made to sustain the species here. If lions make it in Missouri, it will be on their own because the state will do nothing to regulate (other than list them as a protected species) or adopt a management plan because of the fact we do have them here. This effectively solves the problem you mention.

#1052797 - 06/18/09 05:30 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: GC]
deerassassin Offline
Seasoned Member

What happens when there a large enough number to hunt? Someone should try toi hunt wolves with staghounds a.k.a. VARGY lol just kidding.

#1052798 - 06/21/09 09:25 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: GC]
Rich Cronk Offline
Retired Moderator

A few years ago I made a phone call to the DesMoines office of the Iowa DNR. I was told that couar are not protected in Iowa. GameWardens in Pott. and Harrison counties are aware of cougars passing through this area. They asked me to call them if I should get one, so they can come out and take photographs. I have seen cougar tracks here, but no luck in calling one yet. Cougars travel a very long ways in a day, so the chance of one being close enough to hear my calls are very slim. I don't believe that cougars will take up residence around here because of lack of cover and constent human activity.

--------
FoxPro Field Staff

#1052799 - 07/02/09 09:16 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: Rich Cronk]
deerassassin Offline
Seasoned Member

Thats the cool part Dickey transport owns some land over by ollie iowa and a guy my dad works with saw some cougar tracks there is not supposed to be anyone out there but even if there is there aren't that many. It is on the river bottom right next to the skunk river lots of deer and turkey hopefully i will get a shot if i don't pee my pants.

#1335819 - 07/27/09 10:29 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
doodle Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Malta Bend, Missouri
My trapping partner found a lion track on the missouri river last fall up near Waverly Mo. We called the conservation agent and he instructed us to put a bucket over the track so he could check it out. In the end he told us that it very likely could have been a lion but just a couple of tracks was not enough to do anything about. He did tell us to give him a call if we found anything else. Unfortunatly we didn't.

#1438663 - 12/09/09 09:38 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: doodle]
Southernindyhunter Offline

Loc: Deputy, In.
On return from a hunting trip to Montana 1n '97 We saw a dead Mountain Lion on the interstate east of Iowa City. Just a quick look at about 80 mph but it was definitely was a Mountain Lion, the tail seemed as long as the body.

#1438937 - 12/10/09 01:02 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: Southernindyhunter]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Deerassassin, they started the season because a lot of coon trappers were killing bobcats in their conibears and snares. Thus they realized with this info that they had enough in the southern and s.western counties to open a limited season. I'm hoping to kill a cougar with mt T.20.

#1440570 - 12/11/09 07:15 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: Tactical .20]
hillman Offline
Predator Master

Loc: iowa
All, A lion was hit by a car in 2007 just north of Muscatine, Iowa where I live. You can check the story from the Muscatine Journal Newspaper. Last year an EMT from Lousia county just south of the Muscatine county border(grandview) took a shot at one in his back yard. And this year a friend of mine near Winfield Iowa (30 miles south) watched one in his hayfield. We have cover, food (turkey and deer), and space. Wolves, [beeep]. Wild dogs, YES, Lions, YES, Bobcats, They never did go away. Russ

#1440579 - 12/11/09 07:22 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: hillman]
Yotecallr Online
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Central Iowa
I'm hoping to call one in, soon.

---------------------------

#1440866 - 12/11/09 10:35 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: Yotecallr]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Drove slowly by the 1000 acre timber today. Where there have been a couple lion sightings the last 2yrs. Couldn't find a lion track amongst all of the deer tracks. The next mile I was checking tracks crossing North from the timber into the open rolling hills. Seen a pr of large canine tracks, that came from the timber into the rolling hills. Looked like wolf tracks to me.

#1483784 - 01/14/10 08:27 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
rocktire Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: North Central Missouri
GC the guy that killed the wolf with the radio collar on it is an aquaintance of mine. It was in northern MO around Trenton and it was a wierd deal. They tried to nail him with poaching. Saying he drove to wisconsin shot it and then drove back here and told everyone that it was chasing his sheep. Why on earth would anyone do that. He has several pics of it. I have heard of several Lion sightings but I don't believe most of them. I spend a lot of time in the woods and have yet to see any signs. During deer season there are record numbers of people and gut piles and dead deer in the woods and not one confirmed sighting? I believe there are some here but I think people let there minds play tricks on them.

You can live as if nothing is a miracle, or you can live as if everything is a miracle, your choice!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Yellowhammer 

Forum Stats
47746 Members
83 Forums
284286 Topics
2688137 Posts

Max Online: 3771 @ 02/03/14 09:55 PM
Today's Birthdays
ElmerFudd85, FURCHASER12, greenyswatter, hector615, Howell Reeves, jbsniper, JTFrick, Kenneth J. Shear, KingKaller, Kino M, kirkmalmo, Matt/Howa 22-250, mofireman, newfiebackflip933, pfvarmint, ram_2500CTD, Scott B., The Bricklayer, TURK22

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.