Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1052737 - 09/10/08 09:50 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: TA17rem]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Loc: nowheresville
I've heard they probably came from the Black Hills as well. My post above, lion seen around the same time as when the two farmer's seen one. Not to mention within a 3 mile radius. The report I heard the other day. Was from last Fall. A group was deer hunting that 40 acre timber.

A poster down the fenceline[by the creek], came face to face with the lion as it was pushed from the timber. The guy[poster] had a shotgun with slugs, but let the lion pass

This Winter, I see a fresh track going into an open section & not coming out. Cat will have heck to pay

#1052738 - 09/11/08 08:27 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
GC Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: Missouri
Would that be legal there?

#1052739 - 09/11/08 08:39 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: GC]
kirby Offline
PM senior

CO, told me they are not protected, no season on them. He also told me I wouldn't even need a hunting license to shoot one. If that cat is still roaming that area every two wks or so. Then I stand a decent chance of picking up his track after a snow, or seeing him out on the open hills/valleys.

I know the area, very well. From what I've been told. Sounds as if this cat travels the timbered feeder creeks, that don't have barbed fencelines to climb, jump or craw through/under.

I carry a County Platt book with me while hunting. In case I see a coyote on non-permissioned land.

#1052740 - 09/12/08 04:26 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
ADCcoyote Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Somewhere out west,east of the...
The majority of lions coming into Iowa are from the black hills, younger males that have been booted by much larger toms, once they leave the confines of the hills, they become pretty nomadic and don't stay in an area very often, the home range of these cats is quite large but even where I'm at, 2 hrs from the hills they can move 10+ miles in a night and make getting them tough.

A fresh berried kill might be the ticket alot of times they come back the next night to take a feed after that the majority are down the road miles from there.

I find tracks in the rough country in the winter often but these are dispersal cats and could be 20 miles in a day or two real easy. The more cover the tougher one will have even getting a glimpse of these cats. High prey base of deer in cover will have cats in cat territory, in winter when deer group up this is a calling card for these cats and they are very adept hunters for sure. Might get them to stay a short spell as long as they aren't pressured too much.

#1052741 - 09/13/08 08:50 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: ADCcoyote]
kirby Offline
PM senior

I haven't heard of anyone taking a shot @ one, nor actively hunting them. So I'd say there is little to no pressure on a cougar in this area. As for prey base. My county has a boatload of deer, no shortage there.

Two season's ago. A farmer/deer hunter. Watched a cougar push a small herd of deer out of a small timber patch in a wide open rolling hilled mile section. Seen the cougar, leap on the flanks of the last deer, then got thrown/bucked off. He couldn't believe what he was watching @ 1st.

He told me the cougar & deer were a bit over 100yrds from him. He had a 12ga with slugs. He held his fire.

#1052742 - 09/25/08 01:09 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
The SIG Way Offline
Seasoned Member

Here in NE it would be illegal as heck to shoot one---just cause there's no season doesn't mean they're not protected----better go make sure before you pull the trigger on one.

#1052743 - 09/25/08 06:48 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: The SIG Way]
kirby Offline
PM senior

A couple of them have already been shot in Iowa. No reason, IMO for the local CO, to lie to me, as to the legal issue.

#1052744 - 10/02/08 10:38 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Estherville,IA
No protection in IA, you can shoot one here.

#1052745 - 10/04/08 08:51 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: Tactical .20]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Spoke with about a dozen of my farmer's last few days, making sure my hunting permission is still granted. One of them said, he & his wife seen a cougar come up out of a ditch & down the other side following a timbered creek 3 yrs ago, early am. The area he spoke of it roughly 4 miles SouEast of where one was seen last Fall.

On another note, he said he grew up in Hardin County[he's 84yrs old]. When as a young guy he & his neighbors trapped for food & pelts back then. Said, an occasional wolf & pr's of wolves were seen & trapped along the Iowa River bottom. He never caught one, but his neighbors caught several.

I told him, I've seen 3 wolves in central Iowa the last 44yrs. Two of the three, were while out hunting coyote. A rarity for sure.

#1052746 - 10/11/08 12:56 AM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Wow, I would like to see a wolf, too. I may see one in WY, they are spreading out and killing big game, better go elk hunting before too long, or they maybe hard to find, if the wolf isn't huntable, soon.

#1052747 - 10/20/08 10:11 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: Tactical .20]
kirby Offline
PM senior

I never counted[as a wolf sighting] the large canine. I seen in Winter early pm on my way to Ackley Iowa. Around 15yrs ago or so. Canine was around 700yrds out running the outer edge of a timbered creek bottom. Looked like a wolf from it's size. But couldn'y verify for sure. Canine was stretched out running hard.

Friend & I were calling coyotes in the pm over in Tama County, Iowa a couple yrs ago. No coyotes called. Right before we left a timbered two mile section. We both long howled on our calls. A couple dogs howled, a couple coyotes howled. Then a wolf howled. Made the hair stand up on my neck.
Wolf let out one long wavering howl, all the other canines quickly went quiet.

Farmer seen a wolf in this section last Fall. He said it was very large.

Edited by kirby (10/21/08 06:12 PM)

#1052748 - 10/21/08 08:38 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Wow, one is living near you? I wonder if it will find a mate, if it stays? Wouldn't that be a sight to come up on one in your trap! Pictures would be great that close.

#1052749 - 10/21/08 10:16 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: Tactical .20]
kirby Offline
PM senior

If your talking about wolve's, then no. I believe wolve's rarely pass through central Iowa. As they have been seen, but not continously seen in a local area.

As for cougars. Yeah one has been seen over the last 5yrs. So I'd say yes, one is living in the area. The last report I heard, was straight South of me around 5 miles or so. This cougar, no doubt has a very large travel route.

A friend of mine, a farmer & retired fellow co-worker. Seen two cougars in one day out deer hunting on Winter snow 2yrs ago. Some laughed at him. I believe him, he doesn't BS.

I take a camera with me everytime I'm out hunting coyote. So I expect to see a track this Winter. If nothing else.

Edited by kirby (10/21/08 10:24 PM)

#1052750 - 10/22/08 08:10 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: kirby]
GC Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: Missouri
kirby,
I'm gonna give you a new nickname - Jungle Jim Kirby. You got all those large wild critters running around there in central Iowa, it would seem to fit. How does that go, elephants, lions, tigers, and bears, oh my!

#1052751 - 10/22/08 08:26 PM Re: cougar in central Iowa [Re: GC]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Yeah I know what some people are thinking. Coydogs, cougars & wolves. You've got to be crapping me! LOL!

No big whoop, as I've seen two of the three. Perhaps this Winter snowfly I'll get a view of the 3rd.

Reason being, IMO...Why I've seen the things I have. Is I've hunted many yrs & hunt alot. From post harvest, until late Spring[planting time]. Generally 16-18 days a month. Not to mention, the open terrain & I'm well versed in spotting critters way out there.

I like "Yungle Yim" better

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Yellowhammer 

Forum Stats
48214 Members
83 Forums
287478 Topics
2717819 Posts

Max Online: 3771 @ 02/03/14 09:55 PM
Today's Birthdays
czhunter, Dixiedog, Dogpopper, Fox Sniper, JohnP, mblanton, Navy_Gunner, old gimp, scouteyes, Terry W, W.J. BAKER

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.