Two antler calls I made

Skinner2

These are two call I made following the directions from Mr. Cronk. They sound great.
I used spare reeds from a Tally ho, but hope to replace soon with mylar. These were fun to make and not that difficult to do.

Now I need more antler. I don't want to use mine...HMMMmmm. Wonder if my dad would get mad it I cut his racks down to the mounts. I bet I could get as many as a dozen calls from some.

Skinner 2
f9e0799c.jpg

I can think of no better use for antlers. They make terrible soup and attract dust. But if you just have to keep the things hanging around gathering you can go to Gator Mall and get antler pieces at fairly reasonable price. Since coyotes, Bobcats, foxes and badgers don't have antlers I've been considering buying some to make calls out of myself.

A. Yoter they sound great and have alot of volume. I have some lexan reed material to try on them and will also try mylar. I may have open hte air tunnel up a little too much. I plan on playing with this also. They can be used as they are right now. I trid one Saturday morning for awhile and could hear the sound echoing around.

Mike yep looking for more antler myself, just don't want to use my dust collectors.

Skinner 2

Skinner,

Nice looking calls. One thing I noticed, is that you have the calls in a 'turned up' fashion. When calling, they would be pointing up, thus forcing your hand against your nose. Try flipping the antler over, when drawing out your bridge. It will put the rest of the call straight when calling.

Good luck on finding more antler. I've been buying antler tips from knife makers. They are quite proud of them and ask a pretty penny for them.

Great job...Tony

TTEbbe,
I made the calls that way on purpose. I looked at others and thought they were upside down. My thought was this way the sound is being broadcast out front instead of down. I can hold my head in a normal fashion and not look up to call.
Perhaps I'm doing something wrong as to holding the call but nothing gets in the way, it stays straight out in front, pretty much like my closed reed calls. I have not had the chance to try or see others made in this fashiion. Perhaps my next I will make this way to see the difference.

Thanks for the input, I don't mean to sound negitative in case it comes out that way.

Skinner 2

Skinner 2

Skinner2,
I for one would rather have my call bend slightly upward just like you have them. I don't really see how your hand could get in your way. They look great! Keep up the good work.

Where do you get the mylar from, and the bands? they almost look like a band you would use on sheep when banding them. If a guy were to make a call from like a piece of wood on a lathe where would you find the little steel piece with the reed in it to go inside? Please help.

J. Mills
Mylar came from a place that does laminating. Got it in .014 thickness or 14 mils. That bands you are talking about are sheep bands but I did not use them on this call. I used a piece of teflon cut to a tight fit. Most of this stuff can also be bought from www.allpredatorcalls.com

Hope this helps

Skinner 2

J. Mills,
Any farm supply store should have the sheep bands. If you go to a sear engine like google and type in poyester film, you will find some sites that sell it. Mylar is trade name of Dupont's polyester film. You will want some .010 and some .014 thickness. You can also get a packet of various reed materials from www.allpredatorcalls.com

Back