Scope for day AND night hunting?

SeekingTradDeer

What kind of scope would you guys recommend for a .17 Rem. fireball for hunting varmints by day and fox/coyote by night? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I just put a Leupold VX-III 4.5x14x50 Heavy Duplex on my Remington Model Seven Predator 17 Fireball. I've killed four ground hogs with it out to 200 yards, all were head shots, cause that was all that was offered. So what I am saying is the 14X is sufficient to get r done on groundhogs.

I have that same model scope on four other rifles that I use at night for fox. The 4.5X is sufficiently low enough to give me a large enough field of view. The 50mm obejctive is great for low light.

FireballPredator.jpg

Same model scope on a Browning Micro Hunter 22 Hornet for fox at night. Awesome
Fatfox-1.jpg

If all my guns had to go away but one, it would be that Hornet in the bottom picture above. It is simply a point an click rifle, running/standing, it don't matter.

I like your signature line there SeekingTradDeer.

Thanks Pruson.

I took out a scope last night with a light and the crosshairs disappeared. I think the heavy crosshairs just might be the ticket. What do you think about the Leupold VX II 3-9-40 with the heavy duplex? I can get one for under $300. I am afraid of the 50 mm cause the price tag but mostly the higher mount on the rifle. I can sell some stuff to get the money if needed.

Here is the type I like for night hunting Burris LRS (Lighted Reticle Sight) with the Dot vice the plex.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-lrs-lighted-reticle-3-9x40-fullfiled-ii-scope.html

They can be had in a number of powers and prices.

The one I use is made by Mueller and they run a couple of hundred less than the Burris.

http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/lists/illuminated-scopes.html

The dot on both are MOA so they cover 1 inch at 100 2 at 200 etc. Not to knock Prusons choice cause I have respected all his posts.

You gotta see how well these types of scopes work to believe them.

Wow...those Mueller scopes are priced right. How are they for daylight hunting? Which has the thickest recticle lines around the dot...Mueller or Burris? Thanks for the link. :)

Quote:
Do the lighted recticles come in colors other than red? Do you use a red light in conjunction with these?

They only have "red" dots. Yes even when using a red light they are easy to see in the dark.

Quote:
Wow...those Mueller scopes are priced right. How are they for daylight hunting? Which has the thickest recticle lines around the dot...Mueller or Burris? Thanks for the link. :)

They are fine with daylight hunting. The Burris has the thinnest reticule. During the day they both just look like target dots with cross hairs.

I talked to a Leupold Rep at Leupold's office several years ago; and was told to just buy the 40mm objective. 'Cause most people can't tell the difference between 40mm and 50mm objective at dawn/dust/night. I have a 4.5x14-40 leupy (7mm mag) and a 4.5x14-50 Alaskan Guide Series from Cabella's(Bushy Varmint Special). I can't tell the difference day or night. I'm happy with both.
I have a CHEAP ($50.00) NC Star 3x9-32 illuminated with a heavy reticle on my bushy carbine; and it does just fine; day or night, rain or shine. Maybe I got lucky and got a good one. Or, my eyes are getting old and I can't tell the difference any longer.

Quote:
Thanks Pruson.
What do you think about the Leupold VX II 3-9-40 with the heavy duplex? I can get one for under $300. I am afraid of the 50 mm cause the price tag but mostly the higher mount on the rifle. I can sell some stuff to get the money if needed.

Do it!!!, the Leupold Heavy Duplex is the cat's meow for night hunting yet still sufficient for groundhogs at extended ranges. The 3x9x40 would be fine, I am sure. It's top end could be alittle more power when doing groundhogs, but thats okay. Just make sure it is the Heavy Duplex not the Wide Duplex, big difference, the Wide Duplex is actually a wide gate between the thicker and thinner lines. You want Heavy Duplex. Wide is not a good choice for night hunting, IMO.

I previously owned a Mueller Sport Dot, the reticle was good, but I could not keep it focused and the red dot was at times to much light in the overall scenario at night time. I use a red filter on my Lightforce, so to me black stands out better on the critter. Everyone has their own opinions. I sold mine for a song to move it.

You only whine once when you buy a Leupold, never more. I am still whining over some of those good deals that I've bought in Optics. 'Also on my Browning A Bolt and my Remington Model Seven, both mine wear 50mm objectives with Medium Rings, barrel contour is everything. But the guy is probably right, it is hard to tell the difference in light transmission in "Leupolds"

I just saw your post over on CoyoteGods. That rifle simply deserves the best. Remember, I said you will only whine once. It'll fit with medium rings, betcha.

Nice choice, I am getting old and prefer the lighter ones like the Model Seven and Browning's Micro Hunter. But the longer barrel you got will soup it up a little faster than mine will push it. ENJOY

Yes, gonna try it on my AR and see how it does. I don't expect shots over 100yrds. If it doesn't work out I can always put it on my shotgun though. I'll let ya know how it does.

peace.
unloaded

I decided on the following scope with the German recticle. I got a used blemished one for a great deal and have three knives I'm going to sell that should cover the cost. If I don't like it I am pretty sure I can sell it and get back the money I paid for it or close to it.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shoot...-illum-reticle/

I have found a lot of guys in PA like the Mueller for night hunting. There is one for sale on this forum by Str8Shooter at a good price and only a year old that I was going to buy that one until I stumbled on this one.

Great calling scope. Please let me know how well it works on groundhogs at 250 yards and beyond. Hope you got a good price on it. Wonder why that Mueller was for sale? Just curious, cause mine always had focus problems.

Nice looking unit. I just couldn't put a 600.00 dollar scope on a night time carry gun.

As I went through your link it really looked good though.

Pruson did you call Mueller? Did they send you a new one that was out of focus also? Or are you basing all Mueller products on just one?

Just wondering.

I had a friend who really wanted it cause of the whistles and bell(red dot). I didn't bother with shipping and waiting on a new one. Sold him my problem, what are friends for. So yes, I guess I am basing all Muellers on one incident. Course I do that with about everything, normally only get bite once. I bought a Chevrolet once in 1974 right off the show room floor, it made it to 34K miles. I've never bought another.

Until otherwise determined they fall right in that Simmons, Tasco, BSA catergory. Since I won't buy another one, they'll stay in that catergory.

Good Hunting

Pruson...Str8Shooter is a regular at this site and while I don't know him personally, a review of his posts tell me that he is a good guy. I do not suspect him of trying to sell anyone his problems. He was selling the scope which is a year old to do a .204 project.

I am putting Leupold QR mounts on the gun and will use a VX II 4-12-40 in the summer for the varmints and the red dot for the winter predator hunting. I did not see any good in buying a 50 mm scope for night hunting when that larger objective is only helpful at high powers and I use low power at night. Plus the Leupold guys said I would need the high mounts for this scope on my gun. I'm glad it is working for you.

WOW!!! I didn't say anything against Str8Shooter's character at all. I wasn't accusing him of unloading it. I've sold things that had problems, I always let whoever know what it is that I don't like about the item. The guy that bought my Mueller for a song even hunted with it on my rifle for two months. I just said I wonder why he is selling it, curious, cause mine had focus problems. Go back and read my comments, dang man.

Becareful about trying to start a fire fight. I don't want one. But I am a firm believer in "SUPERIOR FIREPOWER". Easy!

Back