bushmaster AR-15 help

deerhunterjj

Hello dont want to sound stupid here but here it gose. I own several bolt and semi guns now. Never did really like the bushmaster look of guns. But i thought i would get one while you still can. With all the anti's running around who knows what next week will bring. so with that said i need some help from bushmaster owners on what to buy. dont no squat about them i want a tack driver. No spray and pray gun iv been looking at them on gunbroker last few days and looks like i will be spending around 1000.00 to 1100.00 on one any information will be a great help. thanks for your time on the replys. Happy critter hunting Its getting close.

Here is the best tip I can give you.

There are a couple of gunsmiths here on the PM's that will gladly build you a tack driving fool of an AR for about the same or a little more than you will spend on a production gun.

You need to contact Mike Milli aka Dtech, or Dan Carey of Carey's Custom Guns. These two are very, very good at what they do and you will certainly not be dissatisfied with either one. You should be able to find either or both in the advertisers section.

I have a BUSHMASTER PATROLEMENS CARBINE with a 16 inch barrel with a EOTECH 512 onit for yote hunting.Iam no expert but I know if you would want a tack driver you need to be looking at a 223 in a bolt action and not a AR!

Quote:
I have a BUSHMASTER PATROLEMENS CARBINE with a 16 inch barrel with a EOTECH 512 onit for yote hunting.Iam no expert but I know if you would want a tack driver you need to be looking at a 223 in a bolt action and not a AR!

most ar now can be as accurate as a bolt gun if not better!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:

I totally disagree with you. I can only assume that yours isn't all that accurate.

I personally have the Bushmaster Varmint Special. Average groups are between .5 to .7 with factory loads. I get less than .5 with handloads.

I also have a 16" High Standard Carbine. It is a nice gun, but it isn't a Bushmaster either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have a bushmaster varminter and I just love it. It is a great shooter. I guess this is something you will have to decide on. Only you know what you want. Go to a gun shop and check them out and them make a decession.

I too have the Bushmaster Varminter and love it. There are
many other options out there also, so the best thing you
can do is be realistic in your budget, uses and expectations
and go from there. I personally built my own lower and just
ordered the complete upper. I was surprised how easy it was.
Keep in mind as your tastes change you will probably either
acquire another one or transform what you have. Good luck
and have fun. Dave

Boy is LBLDog trying to start a fued or what? After three short outings with my RR pred. I've totally changed my mind about the accuracy of an AR. Mine shoots better than any bolt gun in the same caliber I've had with the exception of my Cooper. The Cooper mite edge it out abit, but it will keep them in a 3/4 inch bull at 100 yds. with no problem almost all day long. Note: I said almost all day long. I, being a died in the wool bolt gun guy, I am thoroughly empressed with my, bone stock, out of the box, black rifle. Think I have a new truck buddy.

Great debate and all good answers i think everyone for there time. i have 2 hrs to decide what i want. im looking at a bushmaster varminter and a bushmaster predator. Im planning on useing it when im out calling by my self and in the truck while running my trap lines. I also have a remington 700 vssf ll in 22-250 that i use when calling with someone. Im kinda of leaning toward the predator with the little shorter barl the the varminter. both guns are on gunbroker. both have less then 50 rds ran threw them. both look like new. i have read tons of information on them and all seems to be really good. antone have thoughts between the two im looking at. we have shoots here in ks sometimes out past 300yrds. wich i dont think both rifles will have a problem. just never had any exp with the ar style guns.

Quote:
we have shoots here in ks sometimes out past 300yrds.

While I will piss alot of people off with this. I hunt exclusivley with my Bushmaster. I shoot many rounds out if it and as often as I can. Needless to say, I know what the gun will do.

You mentioned 300yd shots. I live on a 35 acre plot and hunt literally out my back door every year. I have about 600yds from end to end of my field. This last year my Daughter and I hunted for coyotes one afternoon. I happened to have my AR and this deer came out at 310yds. It was laid down on the spot at 325 yds with the Bushy. She was running a camera, I was the shooter. Regardless though this is her deer since she was with me.

This is the 3rd deer that has been taken with the same gun, and the same approximate distance. Each time, there is no pass through and absolutely nothing but mush in the ribcage. I hang the deer up on my pole to clean and the heart and lungs literally pour out. Again, 55gr nosler silvertips

Yes it will do it.

DSC02724-1.jpg

Last edited:
If you're going to be packing it, you would appreciate that shorter barrel. I have a 20" fluted bull barrel, and it's at the upper limit of what I'd want to pack around.
At 300 yds. a good 20 inch barrel is still effective.
For a dedicated bench/PD rifle, the longer barrel has a (slight) advantage.
I'd go with the Predator, that's a very nice rifle if carying it is a factor.

Quote:

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif That's some funny stuff right there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I pick off starlings at 300 yards sittig on fence posts with my DPMS 24" Superbull 223.

Good to hear falfire. Well heres a late night AR update. Like someone said earler i just cant wait on a gun to get built. so i put a bid on a bushmaster predator with a redfield 4x12x44 scope on top. the gun is like new had maybe 30rds put threw it he said just enought to sight it in. still has the packing oil on the stock may of bid to much but i bid 999.00 for the package deal. auction ends in 1.5 hours looks like im going to end up with it. i wish i knew how to post pictures a would post a pic when it comes in along with my 22-250. thanks guys for all the help on my descision makeing. everything helps. sure hope i like it this is my very first AR. Havent even shoot one before. happy yote hunting everyone. My spelling sucks im a hunter not a school teacher. I perfered being in the field instead of the class room.

My Varminter groups sub moa with 5 shots at 100 yds. everyday. A couple of my buddies were impressed enough to by the same gun, one of them being A super tightwad...yeah you know ! we all have A buddy like that !

I think you're going to be pretty happy with the Predator. Your neck and arms are going to thank you, too, because lugging a 24" heavy barrel gets old real quick (about the time you're out of sight of the truck).
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

hello evil lurker i would say your right i have a fused disc in my back. had the surgery in feburay of this year hard as heck to even walk know after the surgery doc really fixed me up. Im worse now then i ever was before the surgery. But that is not going to keep me out of the field. if i have to i will craw to the hunting spots. (all most there) Well everyone i got it bought sent my payment off today so im going to give the ar world a try. From what everyone has said and what i have read they seem to be really good shooting guns. and very accurate to boot. thanks everyone.

Back