the best howler

corey sr.

i know this is gonna hurt, but who makes the "best" howler? i am still learning the howling game and would like everyone's opinion on the best sounding howler on the market.
i discovered years ago on turkey calls, it's hard to master a call when you practice with a piece of junk.

corey sr.,
The best factory made howler in my opinion is the Crit'r call "Magnum". You can call many coyotes with one of those buggers without breaking your budget. Best of the Best? The Cronk cow horn howler is the one. As far as I know, it is the only one that comes with a 100 percent satisfaction guarentee. Don't like your new Cronk Howler? Send it back and I will either fix it, replace it free or give you a full refund of your money.

corey sr.
I'd say go with a Cronk regardless of pricing. They are custom made, one of a kind. More importantly, Rich plays a very active role in this B-Board. He returns emails/phone calls right away, he shares his knowledge and techniques. Priceless. He knows a woodsman wants more than a plastic unit in a bubble-pack and he delivers.

There is nothing like that box showing up at the door with your name on it, uh, actually yes there is, the coyote showing up at 100yds and closing in fast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I happen to own four howlers. Number four doesn't even look like a howler ! It's more than that really, one of the most versatile calls I ever owned. Rich Cronk made it ! Jimmie

Off the shelf howlers.
Loudest crit'r call magnum, and sounds pretty good.
Best sounding with pretty good volume and very easy to make the correct sounds with. Great yaps barks and kiyi's is the E.L.K. Industries Power Howler.
For someone who is just getting into howling and is not used to using the open reeds the Power Howler will be easier to get a consistent sound with than the open reed howlers.

Off the rack open reed, Critt'r Call magnum. In the right hands, they're magnificent. Ease of use and effectiveness, I also go with the Power Howler from ELK, Inc., or any howler that uses it as a foundation, like the Higgins. And BTW, buckle up. Here we go again. :eek:

I find the best howler can be made for a few dollars take a diaphragm call and a peace of tube similar to the ones on and elk bugle which you can buy at the plumbing department at Home Depot. sometimes after hunting season you can buy diaphragm calls at Wal-Mart on special for a dollar a piece they work really well and with some practice you can make calls that work as good as anyone's, of course they don't look as pretty but they work.

Throwing a few out there

TR from Colorado Makes a great cow horn howler.

Everybody raves about the Cronk howler.

I beleive there are a bunch of great howlers out there. I ordered a TR howler for a gift to a friend and liked it so much i ordered anohter one
for myself.

Not disputing the ones listed, because I like them all. I just wanted to throw a few more names and options your way.

Silver Dog Howlers (Steve Nordstrom)
Herb's (Herb & Chris Brusman)
Higgin's Howler (Rich Higgins)

I even think S.T.O. who advertises on this board is making howlers, and to boot you have a bunch average joes turning out some fine horns here on PM. Keep up the good work fellas.

Todd

Back