Reloader 22

duckdog

I'm looking for some information as to what this powder's characteristics are. Grain size, burn rate, clean or dirty, and so on. I'm gonna work up some .243 loads with Nosler 95g BT and the Nosler book I have has it listed as the most accurate powder and real close to being the fastest. I just don't know anything about it. I checked their website first and they don't tell you much and the reload page is under construction. Thanks guys.

my burn chart I have on my desktop lists 246 powders, from the fastest to slowest burn rate, RE22 is #229, IMR 4350 is 202, H4831 is 218, IMR7828 is 231.
Its appearance is about like varget, to me anyways. Personaly I think its too slow for the 243 based cases.
The new RE 17 is sposed to really enhanse the 243/308 case family of cartridges
RR

I doubt you will find any data on Reloder 17 for awhile. Check www.6mmbr.com there is an article over there about it but I am not sure if you can even find any to buy yet.It sounds like an good new additional podwer though.

RL-22 and IMR-7828 work great in the .243 with 95-105g bullets. They are slower burning powders, but they seem to push the heavier bullets in the .243 faster then some of the more medium burning powders.

RL22 works great in my .270win and .257weatherby. Not too particular on temp changes here in michigan and it burns clean enough for me. Of course, I try to clean the .270 every 20rds or so and the .257wby is cleaned every 15rds....it's a fouling son of a gun.

One of the universal loads that many 243's like is 43.0g of IMR or H 4350 with the 95g Nosler Ballistic tip with a Winchester primer, primer seems to make a big difference.

I have shot this load in tweeked Rem 700's, Model 70's, and Ruger mark II's in 243, accuracy was less than 1/2" in all three of these guns that had been bedded, light triggers, and high powered scopes.

The same load applies to the 95g Nosler partition which is adequate for deer with complete penetration from any quartering angle.

I tried the loads with R#22 with CCI-250's, WLR, 9 1/2's, and Fed 210's and the IMR and H 4350's beat R#22 by a mile.
Your rifle may be different...part of the fun is tryiing.

Velocity was 3150 with the 4350 loads, and the bullets were seated to touch the lands.

With the Nosler 95g Combined Tech Bullets, I had to bump the load to 44.3g of 4350 to get the extreme accuracy.

Good luck!

My best load out of 4 powders tested with the 95SST in a .243 is out of RL-19. My most accurate gun in fact. .2's 3 seperate times with 5 shots. Makes you pretty confident when deer hunting to say the least.

The best 3 shot group I've ever fired was with 95 NBT's over RL22 from my 6mm Rem. It measured .097". While I'm not claiming this as typical (I'll likely never do it again), this load was a consistent .4" three-shot shooter.

RL19 was pretty accurate, too, but I got a bit more velocity with equal accuracy from the RL22. My records show my fastest velocity with this bullet & RL22 averaged 3268, but the .097" group was shot at 3117 fps, with an ES of 8.

RL22 is also my go-to powder for my elk load, which is a 160 grain Partition in .270 Win.

Mike

There was a survey a while back on which powders were used to win the most long range matches and surprisingly I think about 75% of the shooters used RL-22 for there accuracy loads.

I've found that RL-22 is about the most accurate powders in my 25-06, 270, 7 RM, 300 Win, 300 WBY, so they must be doing something right.

It is a little harder on throats then other stick powders though which is one of two downfalls of this powder, with the other being lot to lot consistency.

This is a good thread.
My 6mm Rem, which has similar case capacity to the 243, shoots RL-19 with the 95 grain Nosler Partitions and Berger 80 grain bullets very well. I never considered using RL-22, but have a pound of it and will give it a try.
Thanks,

Martyn

I shoot re22 exclusively in my 6.5 Gibbs, I run a 140 right at 3250 with 61 gr of it. accuracy is good but this rifle will shoot about anything well.
only person I ever heard mention re22 and LR benchrest was darrell cassel of the 1000 yd pa BR club, he was also shooting a ray romain smithed 6.5 gibbs.
RR

Like ackleyman's, IMR 4350 beat RL-22 by a mile in my 243. Except mine was shooting 90gr Nosler BT's with CCI BR-2 primers....
My 7mm really likes the RL-22 though....good luck.

Try IMR 4064 in your 243 . This has been the best powder by far in every 243 i have owned. Rel 22 not the best choice in a small case like the 243 .

I have great luck running 44.2 grains of Reloader 22 behind a 95 grain Hornady SST in Winchester cases with a CCI 250 primer. I'm currently getting 2950 fps with this load, but my .243 barrel is scorched and I can tell just by the long range trajectory change that it's slowed down A LOT since it was new. I didn't have a chronograph when I first developed this load, but others who shoot it have reported 3200 fps in factory barrels. I think that's a bit fast, but I don't think you'll have a problem getting 3000 fps from a 24" barrel, and the load is reported to be at least MOA by everyone I know that's tried it. It was better than 1/2 MOA in my gun until the barrel was shot out. Even with a very, very worn barrel it still stays under MOA for me.

Ok Re#22 was just ok in my 6x284 shooting 90gr bullets at 3,500. But Accurate arms Magpro was sending same bullets at 3,640. So give Magpro a try.

Quote:
This is a very interesting thread . I would have thought that reloader 22 would be a little on the slow side for a .243 .

It is about right for the heaviest bullets, certainly too slow for anything less than 100gr.

Jack

Back