Long Throat, Reloads won't fit in magazine

scsims

I just loaded up some loads for my Rem 700 .308 for the first time and if I load to get the seating depth close to the lands then they won't fit in the magazine.

Is this normal for the 308? As I have 2 other Rem 700s one in .243 and .270 and haven't had this issue.

My .338 shoots 225 Accubonds best .080" from the rifling. Sometimes you just never know.

You can always conduct your tests as a single shot, and if the accuracy improvement with very little jump is significant make a trip to the gunsmith.....

Often magazine depth determines seating depth. Unless you want a single shot seat your bullets to fit the mag. You'd be surprised at how often a chamber is cut for the longest bullet available in a specific caliber and your unable to get bullets seated out near the lands.

If this is a hunting rifle and not a bench rest rifle CatShooter is giving you good advice.

Basice rule of thumb is seat bullets one caliber deep as a starting point. Most reloading books will give you an OAL cartridge length.

The magazine length dictates seating depth, unless you want to shoot the rifles as a single shot rifle.
I have two sporter rifles that I do shoot single shot, but that's my choice.
I get very good accuracy from my other rifles where I don't worry about getting bullets up close to the lands.
But, your point is well made. Why do rifle manufacturers cut chambers such that the leade is so long that you can't get close to the lands and have the loaded cartridges feed through the magazine? Even with long bullets, you have to seat them deep in the case to fit the magazine. So, the long bullet answer doesn't pass the sanity test.

Martyn

Quote:
for some reason, various 308's have extremely long throats.

It's because of the 200gr Round nosed bullet loads - the 200gr round nosed bullet has a very long body and very short ogive, so it need a loooooong throat...

... at the expense of all the other loads.

Try seating your bullets deeper in the case than normal.

I did this on my 243 with 55gr. bullets and accuracy was great. Just watch for pressure signs.

I don't know how the 308 will work but this may help.

hunter966

Just my opinion, but most 308s that I've had don't really mind a long jump. My Remmy Tac. has a throat so long that a 168 Berger VLD almost falls out of the case if I try to touch the lands. I seat mine a 2.800 and they shoot just fine. If I do my part, which I usually don't, my groups are 1/2 inch and sometimes better. But not all day long.

Pysco-dog

Back