Snowshoe Hare in Distress call

mainekiller

We only have snowshoe hares in the area I hunt and I was wondering if there is a call made that is specific to the snowshoe hare. I have had luck with almost all hand calls I have tried and non are specific to the snowshoe. I have heard that a jackrabbit cry is similar to a snowshoe. I have heard many snowshoes cry when we run our beagle but never a jackrabbit.

There is a call maker in Idaho that makes my snowshoe hare calls for me. Drop me a email, and the next time you are around Caribou, I will meet you at Tim Hourtin's for a cup of coffee and you can hear what they sound like. Tom

There is some Guy up there in Maine that sells them online but I forgot his name.If you look hard enough online you should be able to find his website.He is a hunting guide up there in Maine.Hope this helps ya.

MK,I just acquired a Scotch#1543 from an old buddy who dug it up from the basement,blew the dust off an give it to me,and I gotta say its my new favorite.Sounds like my old favorite that I lost 2 yrs ago,a wooden no-name that I can't replace.I snared alot a bunnies when I was a kid,and this thing sounds like the real-deal to me.Did 2 stands with it Sat. and had a coyote come on the tear to the 2nd stand.*#$%!sumbitch got away though! Grinr /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sceery makes a great one. However, there isn't much difference between that and the jack in distress. Really any rabbit in distress will work, all rabbits have different vocals like we do...just my two cents. Try an open reed call too, you can pretty much make what ever sound you want with them!

Just ordered a Thompson PC-1 from his website. I love his PC-2 and the raspy PC-1 should be perfect. The thing I like the most about the PC-2 is it doesn't freeze-up on me and I can't say that abouty any other call on my lanyard. Thanks for the tip Savage99

I'm not trying to jump on you with the following, I'm simply trying to write the truth:

This reminds me of those folks that want a javelina call and absolutely have to have one. This is even after one of the leading call manufacturers came right out and said that his Javelina call is nothing but a cottontail call with a javelina sticker on it. I've heard more than my share of both Snowshoes and jackrabbits screaming. They are both hares and both sound alike. I know, I know you've seen/heard that manufacturers make a Snow Shoehare call, but they also make a javelina call. If you absolutely need a call that says snowshoe hare then someone will slap a snowshoe hare sticker on their jackrabbit call and sell it to you. But if you want a raspy call that sounds like a Snowshoe and all you can find are Jackrabbit calls then grabb the Jackrabbit call, you'll do just fine with it.

I like the honesty of those call manufacturere that don't actually name their calls jack rabbit or cottontail. Their calls are named something like raspy or hign pitched. I have gone around and around between the higher pitched call and the raspy calls, right now I'm working with my critter calls again. The truth is that they ALL call predators because they sound like an animal in distress, simple as that. A jackrabbit call will call predators in the North Eastern USE, Africa, Austrailia and Europe just the same as it will in the American southwest.

Back