Question on building an Open reed call

Erick,
several people make em. You can do a search and check out some of KrustKlimbers handcarved open reeds. Alot of guys on here make howlers from cowhorn and carve the open reed portion of the howler from the solid part of the horn. Antler also.
In short, you can make a open reed out of any material. Some people like wood and some like plastic etc.

Hmmm...maybe Ill make one out of coyote legbone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Yes, open reed calls can be made from wood. I have made several. They sound really good. I use oak and poplar dowel rods in 1" and 3/4" diameters. Very simple to make. I'll try to get some pictures on here eventually.

Todd

I've never been on here before so I hope I do it right.
I have a question about makeing open reed calls.
Is there a secret to getting any sound ? I have tried several times. Sometimes they sound almost ok. other times I don't get any sounds at all. I cant figure out what I am doing wrong. I have completed one call that sounds pretty good, but
what i did different I havn't a clue. My next call sounded like a weak howler.
Can anyone help ?

.....Chuck

what are you making the call from? how long is the reed? how wide is the reed? how long is the mouthpiece? the sound chamber? how wide and deep is the groove in the mouthpiece? All of these are important variables. You'll get the hang of it eventually though. When i figure out how to put pictures on here, I will be able to emphasize key areas of the call.

Todd

Back