September coyote hunting

Rustydust

Hey All

I live in Idaho and recently heard that September is a good month for coyote hunting. I always thought the dead of winter was best but I am certainly no expert. My buddy wants to go see if we can call us one in in a week or two and I'm all for it if there will be any out there that will come to the call.

Anyway, watchall think? Go now or wait another month or two or...?

September is a good month to call. I usually start calling mid-September but started a little early this year. September-November are the most productive for me.

Depends on what your in to. If you just want to kill coyotes then I agree, September is without a doubt one of the best months to get after them and pile up some numbers.

wait just a little longer and you can make a buck or three

I used to (when I lived in Utah) start calling in September
as to get the fall chickens so to speak. the pups are dumb and easily called but the hides aren't worth beans that time of the yr

sold my first coyote hide last yr and I am hooked on harvesting the hides for $$$ figured If I am spending money to hunt might as well recoop some of it

My "mentor" buys reloading supplies and more guns with his take every yr last yr he sold 35 coyotes and 5 bobcats for a total take of just under $4k

that will buy a lot of boolits and a couple really nice guns

Good luck and have fun I cant wait to get out this yr

Quote:

My "mentor" buys reloading supplies and more guns with his take every yr last yr he sold 35 coyotes and 5 bobcats for a total take of just under $4k

$100 average! I want some of that action!!

CB

Quote:
Quote:

$100 average! I want some of that action!!

CB

bobcats are going for $4-$500 around here, it could be as high as $600 this yr

coyotes $35-55 depending on size and color it gets real cold here (-20's & -30's) so the fur is premium

September, would be a good month for family groups. I'd get out early am. End of November to early December, you'll most likey see singles or older mated pairs. Like here is Iowa.

Rusty--I'm from Western WA and back before I moved out to MD I used to get a lot of action in September over in Central and Eastern WA, BUT the furs aren't great yet. That is the trade off.

In my experience I'd get a lot of dumb pups, newly out on their own, and they'd tend to be pretty gullible.

Fun shooting action, though, FWIW.

CB, most of that money probably came from those five bobcats, western bobcats are worth big bucks. A good prime western coyote goes for about $35, those numbers go up and down but that's a good average for prime western coyotes. You probably won't be getting that kind of money for Iowa bobcats and coyotes.
Rustydust, Aug and Sept has always been prime time for hunting coyotes, at least out west. Oct, Nov and Dec can also be very good. Come Jan and Feb things start slowing down. WHY.....because most of the coyotes have been trapped, snared, poisoned, ran over or shot by predator callers and Government hunters. Besides all that, the coyotes are thinking about having pups to replace all the ones that died.......Good hunting

OK guys! Thanks for the info!

A buddy and I are going on Friday morning to try and call us up a couple of yotes. I have not been to where we are going but my bud has. The only problem that we may have is in the area of Idaho that we will be hunting there are known to be wolves in the area. My concern is if we are thinking that we are shooting a coyote and it turns out the the bullet recipient is indeed a wolf what are we (after the high fives, natch) to do? Oh, worry worry worry!

Back