Classic Calls

yotecaller,
After all the weight I have gained over the holidays, that Circe that Jay refers to could well be mine. "That old green call over there? That is the FAT BOY'S Circe."

Rich. Yotcaller. got a old circe for xMas It's different it's a three way, it's very cool. I got the call's book for xMAS. Yotecaller I got a Rhino for xmas. it's Cocabola it's by far my best sounding closed Reed call. it's got great sound. Rich I'm Puttin you know what in the Mail today. Take care. Rick

yotecaller, I sent you a picture of the Circe Fatboy.

bearmanric, thank you for the kind words, but be careful about advertising my calls on this board. That ugly old Cranky Cronk don't like it much since he change medications. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jay thanks for the pic and I agree with Bear,my African Black wood Brass Rhino is the best sounding close reed call I have.In fact it is my best sounding call period.

Hi Jay
Just for Todd's sake. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Who would be the lucky one to have the 2 fat boy's in their collection? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
When J. Johnson bought circes did he also receive any of the rarer calls in the purchase?
But my guess would be that Mrs. Cain has them in her collection. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Oh Todd... how nice it would be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bud did I ever tell you I love you like a father? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

UJ....Thanks for posting and do tell some more Circe history and where abouts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Todd

Hello Bud. Actually there are maore than a couple Fatboys. Norma does not have any collection to speak of.

Circe History? That's a tall order without any specific question. Really don't know what would be interesting to you. Probably half of the information that Al and I have was not included in the book because we thought the stuff rather trivial in nature. We needed to reduce the size of the book so we could afford to publish it.

I won't mention who has Fatboys to protect their identities. The story about the Fatboys is pretty much summed up in the book. Many of them were burned for firewood because Mossinger and Cain weren't 100% satisfied with them.

I have a clear Circe 3-way prototype that was used to develop the 3-way molds. It works, but it's melted in places because there weren't enough cooling holes and the calls had a tendency to collapse becaue the outside cooled faster then the inside.

I also stumbeled onto a chocolate brown plastic Circe that's rather unique.

Never was able to make any connection with Johnson. I think his daughter lives around here someplace. Dunno.

Actually this thread should go over into the chronicles section of PM out of the hands of Cranky Cronk.

UJ,

"Really don't know what would be interesting to you. Probably half of the information that Al and I have was not included in the book because we thought the stuff rather trivial in nature."

Now how many trivial emails have I sent you over the last couple years? Not to many I hope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif (Couple of 100?)You know me a sucker for more information. Whats the chance I can I get the extended version in CD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif If that kind of information would ever be improtant, it would be to us collectors for sure.

Todd

Thanks for the info Jay /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I've got some of the early plastics,( proto's I suspect) one of them is purple, black, white and a deep brown one.
If your e-mail is working ( wasn't working awhile ago )I'll send you a picture, I tryed to post pics. here but it didn't work for me. Can't get that picture posting thing to work for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sorry Todd... I tried to get the identity's of the fatboy owners for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Well thanks for trying Dad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Would you mind emailing me the same pictures to drool at? You know you never did tell me the story behind your Circe's and after seeing your last post I bet theres a nice one.

Todd
Tcwm@gci.net

Alaskan Yoter that old Circe the wife got me on Ebay. Is a Big Top 3-way Call. it's pretty cool. It's kinda nice having the Book I never Realized there was that many call's out there. I have one call you dont have Alaskan Yoter It's a Rare Earth African Zelia Burl. It's pretty nice. I got a Cocabola 05 Flare for xmas From Uncle Jay. wish he was my uncle. going to order a brass Rhino today. I cant Take it any more I cant stop buying call's. I blame it on you and the book. I love this predator Calling. The Rhino Has the best sond Ihave heard out of a closed Reed. Rick

Hey Rick
Your right!!! That book is the best source of info on predator calls ever published, and the picture quality and history is next to none. :eek:
If your a predator caller this book would be of great value, even if your not a collector but to just get some history of the sport /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hey Rich, or anybody else who might know, when did they stop making the wooden Circe three sound models? Or roughly when did they stop making them? I bought mine down in AZ in the late 80's and it was brand new when I got it. I dont know what kind of wood it is made of. Thanks

I bought a Circe MVP 4 (I think that was the model) 3 tone in 1978 in Albuquerque, in 1978 or 1979, and it was the same color of plastic as now.
The BIG difference was that it had marks to show what reed you would be blowing! My NEW (2000?) caller gives no idea what you're tootin' out.
SOME SURPRISES OCCUR!
Mark

Back