How Low Can You Go?

claimbuster

In talking to a Wyoming rancher today he mentioned that a while back a guy showed up at the ranch and wanted to shoot PDs and would like to come back with some of his friends. So that they did. As the rancher was talking to one of the "friends", it turned out that the spokesman was an outfitter and was charging the "friends" $300/day to shoot dogs and failed to disclose that to the rancher. The rancher ended the relationship very quickly and threw them all off his land.

Wonder if the "friends" got their $300 back?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Seen it done before.

I think they have standards as an outfitter, & the guy should probably be turned in to the G&F guys that regulate outfitters.

When one does that, it casts a shadow on all outfiiters & puts even the good ones in the scope of suspision when people book hunts.

They are out there. Check references before you book.

It casts even a darker shadow for those just out looking for a place to shoot, in this particular ranchers mind everyone is suspect.

If I paid that much to shoot PD's and had something like that happen, I would be waiting for that "outfitter" at the main gate, we would have a bit more than words too.

This kind of thing happens all the time in WY. Ranchers in WY have got in bed with outfitters now they are getting the payback from them.

Also outfitters charging people to hunt on public land saying that they have the lease. Even ranchers charging to hunt on "their" grazing land when actually it is BLM or Forestry land that they only have grazing rights to.

The only way any of this will change is a simple federal law that states if you have grazing rights you must provide public access to it. And public land should be posted as such. You would be surprised at the number of acres that are locked from our use because we can not cross private land to access it.

When a rancher says he has 50,000 acres the chances are that includes 40,000 acres of OUR land. If you don't believe that read in detail some ads for ranches for sale in WY, the grazing rights are sold with the ranch.

Quote:
This kind of thing happens all the time in WY. Ranchers in WY have got in bed with outfitters now they are getting the payback from them.

Also outfitters charging people to hunt on public land saying that they have the lease. Even ranchers charging to hunt on "their" grazing land when actually it is BLM or Forestry land that they only have grazing rights to.

The only way any of this will change is a simple federal law that states if you have grazing rights you must provide public access to it. And public land should be posted as such. You would be surprised at the number of acres that are locked from our use because we can not cross private land to access it.

When a rancher says he has 50,000 acres the chances are that includes 40,000 acres of OUR land. If you don't believe that read in detail some ads for ranches for sale in WY, the grazing rights are sold with the ranch.

Sam,

You & I have been down this road before with you ending up flaming ranchers.

I try to make allowances for ignorance, which in your case seems to be the norm when addressing ranchers... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

So you are telling me that if there's a state park behind the 5 acres YOU own, then I can can come drive through YOUR land to get to it?

I also don't know of "Ranchers in bed with outfitters"....What is that?

As a rancher, with BLM land that was DEEDED by the govt., when the land was homesteaded, I fail to see how the rancher is encroaching on YOUR rights whatsoever.

Indeed, the ranches listed for sale come with homesteaded land, and the BLM permit by deed. It pertains to how many acres can be used for running cattle.
The price of the land is determined by how many cattle the ranch can run. Not by how many deeded acres a person has.

I might also remind you that the rancher that you so eagerly flame maintains the land, keeps waterings up for the wildlife, fixes roads, and in general watches over the land while you are in your bed all cozy at night wherever you live, and by doing this he assures that you will have wildlife to hunt the next time you crawl out of the city.

If you are having trouble gaining access to land that ranchers control, why don't you try to see the rancher's side of things?

Sometimes you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

By the way, one of the things that Predator Masters tries to do is to promote goodwill and help ranchers. It is the best way that we gain access to hunting private lands.

We help them....they let us hunt. A lot of the times free, in most cases.

If I were you, I would stand back & take a long look around you before you start to make assumptions about ranchers, their way of life, & the support they have from the membership here at PM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I, as a rancher take offense to your remarks, just as the hunters that work long years to establish & maintain good relations with ranchers take offense.

If you don't like the system, why don't you run down to your bank & get the money to buy your own ranch?
Then, perhaps you will see both sides of the coin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

If you think you are going to get lots of support from members here in your flamming of ranchers, then you are indeed on the wrong road.

Barry

You know Barry, it's like most everything in life. When one follows the "Golden Rule" its amazing how people react. When people are treated with respect, their property is treated with respect, etc, etc....you know the story. I always feel a rancher doesn't owe me anything. However, I strive to make sure he/she wants to see me come back again. You know, it's really not that hard to do.

That is true.

I have seen the respect, as well as those that don't.
It does get turned around. We can each benefit from the few basic things that DO open locked gates for us, or gain that permission to enter public land through private ranches.

All too often the negative pictures that some hunters leave in a rancher's mind are the ones we are all judged by.

I have a unique view from both sides from where I sit.

Quote:

You got that right!! The problem in this world is all the ranchers and farmers that are "rippin' us off".

We gots rights!! We should write our congressman...

We should be able to hunt every where we want and to leave our trash on their land, and their gates NOT like we found them.

When they give us permission to hunt their land, we should be able to bring all our "friends" back a week later, and all of "their friends" back the week after that... and charge then $300 a piece.

I mean it's none of the ranchers business if we pick up a few bucks to cover the cost of gas.

Right!!

Sam... you do NOT have the right to cross someone land to get to where you want to go... without permission.

Get a map and use other access roads.

And people wonder why more and more land is closed...

Actually, public DOES have the right to access public land by going across PRIVATE land, if that is the only permissable access.

Quote:
Actually, public DOES have the right to access public land by going across PRIVATE land, if that is the only permissable access.

Maybe where you are, but around here, all public land has access roads. And even if it's way outta your way, you cannot cross private land to get to the public land, without permission.

Quote:

Not around here either.

Rockinbbar, I don't think I have ever seen the situation explained any better. I, also am a rancher and sportsman and it disturbs me to see the attitude displayed by some. In our area we don't have that much public land but we do have people who drive the back roads and call it hunting, which is not legal because you cannot shoot from the road or rite of way. But again I applaud your defense of our way of life.

I am only going to make one post on this subject. Maybe i was raised diffrent, but when I was little severl things about hunting and fishing were ground into my brain. One of the things that my father and grandfather made sure I understood was you always respect the persons property that your on, leave it nicer than it was when you got there (pick up trash or move branches out of the road exct), close the gate so the cows don't get out, and don't go on someones land that you dont have permission to be on. Course thats just how my dad and grandfather saw fit to raise me, and how i see fit to raise my son. Apparently its not the rule.

here in ny there is access road to most public land the ones with out you will prolly have to canoe up a creek or across a lake to access it you cant cross private land with out permission

This story is on a ranch that I was shooting just before the one that prompted this thread.

The rancher gave me instructions on where to go to find PD's in various parts of his land. In the afternoon I went to the east and went through two open gates heading for, what I thought, was to be a closed third gate. But it was open. When I finished shooting and was heading back I was in a quandary about closing the third gate or leaving it open. I followed the old adage and left it as I had found it.

When I got back to the ranch house I told him about the third gate and said that I would be happy to run back out and close it, if it was to be closed. As it turned out, I had misunderstood earlier and the third gate was to be open, it was the fourth gate that was closed.

Needeless to say, he appreciated my concern and offer to close the gate.

But then, this isn't rocket science, is it? Just remember, "Do onto others....".

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Back