Red Fox decoy foy coyote?

That wouldn't work now would it?

085.jpg

I found this roadkill fox and got my taxidermist to do it up roughly, for $90. Worked, just a pain to carry around. Ryan

Silverfox made one out of chicken-wire and paper mache'(sp?). It looks good, looks light and looks like it would be easy to carry. I make silhouettes out of Coro-Plast for myself.

NewStyle.jpg

I would like a 3D one. I too have used the cut out style, but sometimes calling in the woods they can approach at odd angles making the 2D style useless.

Yes they can work ! But who wants to carry all that stuff into a stand and spend 5 minutes setting up when you can get by without a decoy. Gun&bullets, caller, seat cushion, shooting sticks, glasses. lets go hunting...

TA17rem - I wasn't being serious. Of course they can work. I've got a picture showing it. I agree with you, I'm already taking more stuff than I'd like already!

I'm not disagreeing with anyone, there are some products out there that may help, like decoys, misting, electric calls and so on..
Most of the products on the market today are more of a want than a need.. If a caller weither new or old wants tobe more successfull on calling coyotes or other pred. they need to spend as much time outdoors as possable studying the animal they are after and learning the terrain.
If you do a good job of selecting and setting up youre stands and make everything as perfect as possable then you will kill more coyotes.. Not all coyotes canbe called so don't give up if you have a badd day

I've been very lucky when it comes to calling coyotes and learning. I live in an area with a fair number of coyotes and where i live we hunt them most of the time and we learn from the ones we kill and don't kill..
I'm also lucky enough to have another place where i can call them in and i can see for a mile or better on most stands. In this area i learn how a coyote responds to certain sounds and if the coyote locks up i can go to another sound untill i get it to move again..
I have used a coyote decoy on a few stands and it did what i wanted it to do, get the coyotes attension and give it something to see makeing all the howls and what not.
Do i need it for every stand No!

What do i need to be successfull at calling coyotes?
A good call i feel comfortable with and can work well, it don't have to be a 50.00 call.

If you are not comfortable with a hand call then the next choice wouldbe an electric call and the best that money can by such as a foxpro, WT, or Minaska big country..
When useing one don't go over board with the calling and assortment of sounds. If the coyote dose'nt respond just pack up and come back a different day and try something different. Make youre next stand in a different location and try again.

A good reliable bolt action with a cartridge that shoots flat and dose'nt destroy the hides. For example a 17 rem or 17 pred., 223 imp, 22-250 imp. ,220 swift. These would be my choices plus a good bullet to go with them..

Camo is it needed? No! Just make sure you have a good backing behind you.. I like to dress the part so i do use camo and use colors that blend in with the area i'm hunting at the time.
Make good stand selections and pay attension to the wind and get out as much as possable and you will kill coyotes and take the money you saved and use for gas and a good electric caller and rifle... Hunt hard have a good and safe season... T/[beeep]

Back