Reloading powders for .300 win mag

Wstrnsky

Going to start working up a load for my .300 win mag. Wondering what powders have worked well for you guys. Will be using Rem brass, CCI #250 primers, 180 gr. Bullets (Nosler Partitions and Hornady BTSP's (which everone groups best)). Mainly using for Elk and Mule Deer. Thanks !!!

You will have to see what powder your gun likes. I have had great success with IMR4350. I don't own a .300 WM any longer, but when I did, IMR4350 produced the best accuracy at the top end of the charge range. Had other powders that shot well but they were all 1.5 to 2 grains under max.

Hope this helps.

BTW, welcome to the site!!

Last edited:
RL-22 is THE powder for the 300 win mag with 180-200g bullets. Work up to 75g RL-22 w/180g bullet, you and your rifle will love the results, guarunteed!! This combo has shot under 1 MOA in about 5 different 300 WM"s I've played with, and they all shot around 3050-3100fps. Sure puts the thump on elk!!

I shot my first spike elk at 525 yards with 180g Nosler Partition out of my Ruger Stainless/synthetic 300 Win mag. 1 shot through his shoulders and he was tumbling down the canyon like the earth was yanked out from underneath him. I can still remember that day like it was yesterday, even though it was close to 10 years ago!!

I had great luck with 72.0g of R#22;fed 215; 180g Nosler BT in my Sendero which shot 1/2-3/4" after it had been bedded.

A buddy shoots 71.0g of IMR 4350 with the Sierra 180g SpBT on elk in his Brownings.

I'll throw in one more to add to the fine advice above. I've always had great luck with 180 grain bullets with 4831 in the 300 Win mags.

I have had the same results as Kyotekiller25 & my rifle does very well with the 180Acc. However, I get more velocity
and the same accuracy with R25, approx. 3,150 (26") Sendero.

I reloaded for three different 300WM's. The go to powder for me was RL22. I also liked H1000 but had so much success with RL22 I bought it in an eight pound keg to stay consistant.

RL22!

4350 under 180grn Nosler partition for .300 WM. I also load 4350 for my 250grn .338 WM in Speer Grand Slam. Shot a good many elk with both loads and I see no reason to change powders.

Thanks for all the great advise guys gonna load some up and head to the range on Wednesday.

Went to look at $ for reloading supplies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Wow like everything else, it has all gone up in price. Wife just shook her head.

Time to raid my dads supply to work up a load. Then get stocked up on what it likes to eat.

Just can't afford to throw out that much $ at once on load research with the little one here now. Thanks all will post results. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back