Recommend some hunting boots

stiff neck

I need a new pair of hunting boots. I'm looking for something that's uninsulated, yet waterproof. I'd prefer a 7" cut boot over the full length just because my feet get hot. We don't get much snow, but I do cross small creeks now and then. Most of my hunting is in pretty rough country and my sneakers just aren't cutting it since my last pair of boots fell apart.

Any suggestions?

Good suggestions so far. I'd also like something that looks decent enough to wear around town. Right now I'm looking at these pretty hard:

Cabela's Pinnacle Boots $109 (low tops are on 3-month backorder) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
fe5ff3ae.jpg

Danner Pronghorn $160 (wish this came in low top)
7e6a95c5.jpg

Look at the label, ALL MADE IN CHINA, so why buy known name brand? There is the same junk in the _mart store, just different name. Sad you can't find American made.

Look at the Meindl boots at Cabela's. Pick the model that best suits your needs. You will NOT regret the purchase! Danners aren't in the same class as the Meindl's, and I say that as a longtime Danner wearer. My Meindl's are the "Perfekt Hunters" and they are hands down the best boot I've ever had - period. No comparison...

Quote:
Quote:
Look at the label, ALL MADE IN CHINA

No, Danners are made in Portland, OR.

No, some Danners are Made in the USA. Most Danners are made overseas and have been for quite a few years now.

You have a "Made in the USA" pair. I wore USA Danners for years and thought they were the schizzle, until I bought the Meindl's.

GC is once again right on the money.
I've used the Meindls from Cabela's for more than 25 years. Not the same pair of course.
I have used and abused them. About the only thing I haven't done with them is run them through a chipper.
Last fall I hunted for 6 weeks in them. the only time they got wet inside was after I was in the river to my waist for
30 minutes. By morning they were dry. When I got home I wanted to keep on wearing them. They really are that comfortable.
They are the toughest, driest most comfortable boot I've found.

Like GC, I've also been a longtime Danner customer and the quality isn't what it used to be and the low priced Danners are basically junk. For about $30 more than the Pronghorn you can get into the Meindl Perfekt hikers and have a quality boot. After going Meindl, I doubt I'll ever go back to Danner. But every foot is different, so finding a boot that fits you the best is paramount.

USA made Danners are top notch. Don't know anything about the Meindl boots, but from those who are telling you they are good, I would have no reservations about buying a pair.

RB

I bought a pair of Hi-Tec waterproof low-cuts about 18 months ago and have been wearing them to work most days. They may be a little on the hot side for summer, but they're waterproof. You might check and see if they have a lighter pair than I got. They run about $60 new here.
I grabbed them off a clearance rack for $30, not expecting much.
I'll get another pair, they're excellent.

I picked up a pair of LaCrosse Hawk uninsulated boots from Cabelas. They're very comfortable and have some good customer reviews. They have them in the bargain cave for almost 1/2 off.

Gore tex lined for water proof, and all depends on what you want to spend and how much time you spend in them. I wear danner hikers, I walk & run in them and wear on the long distance motorcycle travel we do. I wear for work boots made to fit by Whites, lace up cowboy packers. Started wearing them in the 70s.but they are 400+ in cost but out last shelf boots 3 to 1 so it pays for me. Read this article www.huntinfool.com/article/extreme.html
Paul

I own LaCrosse, and Rockies, both are water tight and fine boots. The rockies have the ss cable ties instead of laces why didnt we think of that sooner.

Back