1st Kansas Coyote of the fall season (even though it's still summer)

kshuntercb

Ok, I just got my first coyote of the fall season. I know it's early but I had a really slow coyote hunting winter and spring and had not bagged one in a quite a while. Now for the story. I set up on our land that was just baled that day so I figured at least the field mice would stirred up and interesting to the coyotes. It's still hot in Kansas too, especially with full camo, head net and gloves; I think it was in the low 80’s. About 7:00pm I set my FX3 caller on a down slope hoping to pull something out of the timber to the north. I had a slight breeze to the east that I had to contend with. This very stand had produced several coyotes before over the last couple of years, it has lots of trees and cover. I started out with Lightening Jack at a low level. A few minutes....no takers. A little more volume and then yes!! I notice a coyote just across the fence line to the north in a little clearing looking all around to locate his dinner. He quickly ducked back in to the tall grass and then didn’t look too interested. I thought he was gone. But guess what? He came back out of the trees exactly downwind of the caller. He was stopping, looking around, over and over on his way to the caller. Little did he know I was sitting on top of the hill next to a fresh round bale with my Ruger .22-250. As he went behind some of the bales, I had several chances to reposition myself for a better look and the shot. When he got about 20 yards from the caller, I let him have it. I heard the rifle crack and the sound of a solid hit. A couple of spins and he was down. I was using a 55gr v-max reload and it really performed well. A .22 Pin hole going in and no exit, great shot for fur, but this coyote didn’t have much. He was pretty mangy, might have done this Kansas yote a favor. This hunt really enforced for me always watching downwind for their approach, even in the slightest breeze, it really paid off in this case. Have a great season.

DSC00649-1.jpg

DSC00653-1.jpg

Way to go. The weather is making me want to get out also. Have never seen an August like this in the 50 some odd years I've lived here.

Way to go, kshuntercb. Wish the grass was short enough down here to see a coyote coming.

Quote:
callemclose: I'm wanting to go but I am A chigger magnet.

Get a can of permetherin and spray your clothing. One treatment lasts 4-5 weeks and will keep chiggers and ticks at bay.

IMG_2563.jpg

Regards,
hm

Quote:
Nice job ! Get any chiggers ? I'm wanting to go but I am A chigger magnet.

No chiggers. As you know we have had a pretty decent summer (not blazing hot) here in Kansas. Still, I cant wait for fall and those cool frosty mornings, nothing like them. Thanks for the comments guys.

There is just something about a freshly baled hay field. They just seem to be there. Those round bales make great places to sit in the shade and rest your back against em while you're calling. Good solid rest, breaks up your outline and like you did, use em to change poistion as he passes behind em.

The last coyote I killed in Missouri was while I was sitting against a round bale in a freshly hayed field down in a river bottom. I miss those places.

Good job, thanks for sharing!

Congrats!!
It's still way too early for me to get out. It's not the heat or bugs...it's the thought of coming across snakes that keep me in. Don't olan on starting until Oct. this year.

Back