Bolt hard to lift after firing...

Str8 Shooter

I just started shooting my new Remington model 7 (.17 Fireball) and noticed that the bolt is hard to lift with both factory and reloads. Anyone know what causes this and/or a remedy?

higher pressure loads cause it, are there ejector marks on the case head too? if so the pressure of your loads is too high for sure, back the powder down imo. do u like that 17 fireball? i shot one and it was pretty cool, no recoil was awesome, it was a 700 sps varmint, nastily heavy trigger pull though.

Quote:
I just started shooting my new Remington model 7 (.17 Fireball) and noticed that the bolt is hard to lift with both factory and reloads. Anyone know what causes this and/or a remedy?

You really need to give more information.

Marks on the case? What do the primers look like - not just cratering (rems can have cratering without pressure), and ejector marks. Do the fired cases chamber back in the rifle without problems - sometimes or always? Is the bolt even a little hard to close on a new case?

Inquiring minds want to know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Primers are a bit cratered, no ejector marks... one long scratch along the side of most cases. The reloads chambered but the bolt was hard to close on most. New cases chambered and the bolt was hard to close on 40% of the new cases.

That sucks to run into this stuff with a new rifle. Where is is happening with both factory and hand loads it is a little puzzling and leads me to believe the rifle is the problem. Or a length issue.

Savageone, I like the gun... it shoots pretty well, around an inch for 5 @ 100yds. I just ran into this problem, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. I may need to bump the shoulder back a bit, my sizer die might have moved.

That was my thoughts also. BUT what about the factory ammo issue. I have never had factory ammo that was not sized right, that is what has left me puzzled.

I have heard other having rough chambers in there new 700 sps's and they had a hard time closing bolts on new cases and the cases would come out scratched without firing. Maybe contact remington.

Since the bolt is hard with the FACTORY ammo, I'd lean towards a chamber that is on the tight side. Some sort of chamber problem. Have you tried several different makes of factory ammo?

Before you spend any more time handloading for it, have it checked out. Could be a rough chamber, chamber not done right. When playing with 50,000 psi it is best to be safe.

With problems with factory ammo, the gun is suspect.

Aaron

I had a smimlar problem after removing the JLock and installing an after market firing pin assembly. Try disassembling the bolt and cleaning it and make sure on reassembly that you grease the threads on the firing pin assembly.

Quote:
I have heard other having rough chambers in there new 700 sps's and they had a hard time closing bolts on new cases and the cases would come out scratched without firing. Maybe contact remington.

I also remember reading on here where a guy had this exact same problem with the .17 Furball. It might take an extensive search but it would be worth checking out. You also might check to see if the magazine is scratching the cases. Not actually the magazine, but the process of chambering a fresh round. I've got a Remington 700 that does this from time to time. Next time you're shooting, just load them one at a time and see if they still get scratched. That's got to be real frustrating to buy a new rifle, probably debated what brand to buy, then something be wrong with it. I feel for ya.

Parish, I just checked that out and it is pretty stiff after dry firing... I compared it to the 2 Savages that I own and I would say that it's substantially stiffer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I was wondering if it could be something with the firing pin cocking mechanism?

I have a model seven in 17 Fireball, the problem I had was the cases were too long. Measure the case on the factory loads and you will find they are right at trim length. The only data I have found so far is the Hodgden data which gives the trim length at 1.40, the 221 fireball is trim to 1.390 so I question which would be the proper length. Once fired brass measured 1.415 so either it stretchs badly or the cases were too long to start with. check your reloads to see if the mouth of the case is bright as in jamming into the throat of the chamber.

Last edited:
If you are getting heavy bolt lift on factory loads, I would send it back to them. There is a rat in the wood pile somewhere!

Good luck!

Quote:
Parish, I just checked that out and it is pretty stiff after dry firing... I compared it to the 2 Savages that I own and I would say that it's substantially stiffer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I was wondering if it could be something with the firing pin cocking mechanism?

Could be. Make sure there is grease, not oil, on the cocking cam. It might need polishing also?

Jack

Back