Primos Dead Deer Choke

jwg223

THe only place I have seen one or found any info is at Bass Pro. I bought one b/c I liked the look of it and I tried to research it online and found...NOTHING. Has anyone used this choke before? I am installing it on my Benelli M4 hoping for some tight OO Buck patterns. If not, I will use the Benelli supplied MOD choke and see how it does. Any advice? (The choke is a .685 constriction btw).

My two Benelli M1's both do extremely well with the factory Improved Modified choke with 00 Buck. Also, the Kick's Buck Kicker chokes are super fine with various buckshot loads through the Benelli.

All I have is the MOD choke (Benelli M4). What kind of pattern should I shoot with OO at 25 yards using this? (I mean what will be the maximum spread I should expect from a load the gun likes between the two farthest pellets)?

I know each weapon is different, I am just looking for a guideline of the pattern span from my stock MOD choke.

At 25 yards my Modified choke from my Benelli M1S90 Tactical 18 1/2" barrel shot a 9 pellet load of its preferred load (Federal Premium Flite Control 00 Buck PFC154 00) into a circular 14" pattern. The Improved Modified will tighten that to 10" circle. The factory Full will open the pattern right back up to the same as the Modified.

I would think it would be a hair tighter with flight control. My M4 with the factory MOD is putting all 12 into about a 18x18" pattern at 25 yards with the WInchester XX buffered/plated OO. I thought flight control was supposed to be scary tight patterning.

25 yard patterns gives a guy unrealistic expectations in my experience.

Move your pattern to 40 yards, patterns open up very fast on shotguns.

At 40 yards almost all of the 12 pellets (10+) were staying on the poster-board I bought (not sure the size, just normal art/craft poster-board at walmart). 2 out of the 12 pellets were without fail within a 6" circle of POA.

Quote:
if you want to tighten it up use a pattern master choke.

I have heard both good and bad about them. Don't they have a $$ back guarantee though?

A 10" pattern at 25 yards is scary tight for 00 Buck. Ackleyman is absolutely right, if you want see something bad happen to a shotgun pattern, move your pattern target back another ten yards and watch the pattern go to heck. The difference ten yards can make with a shotgun is a real wake up call for those who take the time to pattern and not simply rely on the "blue sky" claims of 70+ yard performance. Regarding buckshot choke tubes, I'll say again, the Kick's BuckKicker is a super choke. I don't use it on that Benelli M1 Tactical Model because I may need to shoot a slug through that particular gun for duty use and the BuckKicker is too tight for that. Now, remember if you want to shoot any of the Flite Control wads through your gun a choke that doesn't strip the wad is essential for best performance with that particular wad type. Both the BuckKicker and the PatternMaster are wadstripping chokes and may not be the best choice for that ammo.

Quote:
A 10" pattern at 25 yards is scary tight for 00 Buck. Ackleyman is absolutely right, if you want see something bad happen to a shotgun pattern, move your pattern target back another ten yards and watch the pattern go to heck. The difference ten yards can make with a shotgun is a real wake up call for those who take the time to pattern and not simply rely on the "blue sky" claims of 70+ yard performance. Regarding buckshot choke tubes, I'll say again, the Kick's BuckKicker is a super choke. I don't use it on that Benelli M1 Tactical Model because I may need to shoot a slug through that particular gun for duty use and the BuckKicker is too tight for that. Now, remember if you want to shoot any of the Flite Control wads through your gun a choke that doesn't strip the wad is essential for best performance with that particular wad type. Both the BuckKicker and the PatternMaster are wadstripping chokes and may not be the best choice for that ammo.

WIth my M4 I am probably going to stick with the MOD choke it came with then. WIth slugs at 50 yards I get @ 5" groups offhand. WIth the OO buck that it likes, I put 2 or more in a 6" circle at 40 yards. This seems like the best compromise to me for what I want. It's main duty is a bedside gun. Coyotes would be a secondary role. I think if I use it for coyotes, I will go with the Flight Control wad.

i am a hunter living in hawaii and have the ability to hunt a shotgun only section. i am considering a primos dead deer choke or a buck kickers choke tube we shoot 00 buckshot what are your thoughts on which one to get

Back