Wiley or Wile Calls

SteveM

Moderator - Deceased
Does anyone know anything about these calls? Saw one this week but can't find anything on them. Spelling may not be correct.

If its the ones Im thinking about I used to have a couple, one was called the Crybaby and another made from aluminum. I asked a while back and Jay says the guy is no longer in business he thinks.They were cool calls.

The Wiley calls were made by Dave Fritz. I hunted with him one time out in Western Oklahoma. He was an awesome caller. He was in business for awhile up near Tulsa. One of the small towns outside of Tulsa, but I do not remember which one. I still have two of his calls. One is the crybaby the other was called the long ranger. He also put out a caller instruction tape that was pretty good.
Don't know what happened to him. He used to call me, but just fell off the radar screen. Good calls if you get a chance to pick one up.
Ozark Charlie

Thanks Charlie! The one I got was about an inch long, appreared to be plastic. It is pretty awesome. Will have to do some research on this one.

SteveM,
That is the one he called the Cry Baby. According to what he told me, he was cleaning up scrap around the shop and he picked up some of the short pieces that he had cut in making his Long Ranger call, he took a couple, stuck reeds in them and took them out and gave them a try. According to him why work really well for Bobcats.
The trip we made was strickly for dogs in open country so he did not use it, but he gave me one and I have had some success with it in thick brush country. Again, I do not know what became of him, but as far as I know he is not in business now.
Ozark Charlie

SteveM
I went for a walk this evening just before dark, and since you brought the Wiley call to mind, I dropped the CRYBABY in my jacket pocket. I did not plan on doing any calling, but just for fun, I sat down under a cedar tree and blew about 2 minutes and had a little Grey Fox almost run into my boot--and there I sat without anything, but a snubnose S&W .38. Not legal for fox in AR. No shot, but still fun. Great little call.
Ozark Charlie

I used a to talk to Dave quite a bit about calls. He gave me a couple of calls and a few photos . The first time I try rd it I called in a bobcat. Over the years I still get them out.

Back