taurus judge handgun chokes

inthemiddle

hey everyone i just bought one and was hoping the pattern of the 410 was going to be tighter. if there is any gunsmiths here do you guys think that it would be possible to ad a threaded choke to it. i know you would not be able to shoot the 45 colt anymore but i would be happy to just have a 410 5 shot pistol capable of taking small game at reasonable ranges. thanks for your thoughts guys.

I'm no gunsmith, but I did buy a Judge for my mother-in-law for X-mas (for snakes). If you want a better gun for small game.... buy a shotgun, not a handgun that shoots shotshells.

i have plenty of shotguns just handguns are nice to pack on the 4 wheeler. i have taken plenty of small game with 44 mag shotshells but you gotta be very close. i was hoping the judge would shoot a bit farther.

I think you will find that any barrel that has rifling will tend to disperse the shot faster, wider, and with a less consistent pattern than a smooth bore.

I found that out the hard way when I tried shooting some #4 Buck through a rifled slug barrel and couldn't hit a target 25yds away....with enough shot to do any good....

I have to imagine that shooting a .410 shotshell through a 3-4" rifled handgun barrel would produce the same results and only be reliably effective for about 3 yards...

Take some butcher paper out and nail it between fence posts and try some tests and let us know the results...

You might talk to a gunsmith about "jug choke". If I remember right I heard somewhere that this will produce tighter patterns out of a handgun with shot shells, and you can still shoot regular pistol rounds. It has been a few years, but it might work.

The Taurus Judge was made for the purpose of a concealed carry weapon I do beleive.I would imagine that the .410 wouldnt be much use past 10 yards or so but I could be wrong since I havent had any experience with these pistols.But the best thing to do is pattern it like OldTurtle suggested and see how well it does.
You might ask around about threading the barrel for a choke like WEHMAN suggested.But I wouldnt mess up the barrel as to where you couldnt shoot any of the .45 colts threw it if you ever felt the need to do so.
You might check out a .410 called a Snake Charmer.I have one and I like it alot and it was only about $150.It will kill a rabbit from about as far as any other .410 shotgun will.Its also really light and easy to carry around with you.They even sale scabbards for them so you can carry them on a 4 wheeler and stuff but I dont have one for mine yet.I wasnt much help but I just figured I would mention the Snake Charmer as an option for you just in case you couldnt thread the barrel on your Judge.

With regards to adding a choke tube, you might check into the legality of this. I'm don't know the laws on this but I think the rifling in the barrel gets it past the law of being a Class 3 short barreled shotgun. By adding a choke, you may negate that.

I have an TC 45 long colt that shoots 3" 410 shells and on the end it has a inch or so choke with straight rifleing to straighten out the twist of the shot. I shoots a good. I bought a Judge the other day to have 5 shots and for the fun of it. I couldn't hit a 5 gallon bucket. Shoots low and to the right. My plan is to shoot it and never clean it for sometime. I think the groves will fill in with powder and lead. I am getting no. 9 shot also.

Back