Pretty knife SOLD!

rainshadow1

Custom Call Maker
It's kinda cool, you know. This was steel, and wood and brass and nickle.... now it's a beautiful working art piece... it's a good feeling.

This is my first speculation knife that is 100% mine! (Aside from the Provision Forge heat-treat and cryo-cycle.) I made every part of this knife.

It's a hunk of 8670 tool steel, ground into a 10" long, double ground false edge, general purpose field knife. Marked ST, and numbered my 16th grind. (My first 25 grinds are numbered.) It started as a 1/4" thick piece, but the tang has a strong taper down to 1/8" at the butt, and the blade (obviously) tapers to a sticky sharp point.

(If you've reserved one of my latest blades, here's a good idea how it can turn out!)

It's bolstered with brass, and has flared brass tubes down the center. The butt bolster has a peened stainless mosaic pin in it. The peened silver pins are nickle. It's scaled with bookmatched desert ironwood. Spaced with white and red vulcanized carbon. Vacuum stabilized in CA before finishing.

Lots of grip, because that's how I like handling a knife. 5 1/2" grip, 4" cutting edge.

I'm going to build the sheath, a fairly good looking job to match the knife, out of 11 oz leather, and I'm going to put this one on the knifemaking sites. Probably in 2 days or so. (This will be my first venture over to the knifemaker world!) But I wanted to give my huntin' buddies first shot at it!

Here's some pics....

DSC03866.jpg

DSC03857.jpg

DSC03858.jpg

DSC03859.jpg

DSC03860.jpg

DSC03862.jpg

DSC03863.jpg

One of my prettiest builds.

SOLD, sheathed and shipped.

Thanks guys!

That is a wonderfull example of being a bladesmith,every thing follows and flows together ,very good detail on everything. The spacer work is very neat ,and you can't go wrong with iron wood that looks like that ,if I only had the cash ,maybe I need to do a late night withdraw from one of the local banks it would be justified if the judge would see this knife.

Good work there Steve, one of your best to date. And the fact that it is your grind really makes that one special.

Keep it up!

WOW! Everything about that knife says... WOW!

I wish it had come out next week after the Expo! I would have known if I could afford it! That is one of the prettiest builds I've ever seen. Don't loose that pattern!

Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Man, your knives are really coming together. That's a classy piece for sure. Not quite my personal style, but a dandy nonetheless. And fully hand-made too - nothing quite like good ol' American craftsmanship! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Pattern? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif What Pattern?!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Every one of my knives (except berettaman's) is a freeform, right out of my head as I'm grinding and boring out the pin holes. (I got kinda carried away on a couple of them!)

This one was to emulate a skeleton knife, you know, the one piece of steel ones without handle materials, only WITH a handle. I think it came out good.

KNIFE IS SOLD.

Here's the finished sheath...

DSC03874.jpg

DSC03873.jpg

Back