Not a Normal Call

Grampas Shop

I had a wild idea a while back about combining my leather tooling and call turning. In my last order from Tandy they had included a sample pack of really thin leather so I thought what the heck.

Map%20Pouch%20008.jpg

Neat idea!

I've always liked leather. I saw your pics, & you do some excellent work, my friend! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Barry

I like it! That is very much like I envisioned! That has lots of possibilities! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

NikonNut, it was almost like you was reading my mind in the other post when I said I was going to try something. I am now trying to find out how to do a basketweave pattern on a curved piece of leather that is wider on the outside than the inside. I have it figured I will have to adjust the spacing on the tool as I work my way in from the outside. You would normally start in the middle and work out both directions. Next one is already in the planning stages and should look a lot better than my sorry excuse for a coyote carving.

I am going to try making a belt pouch to hold 2 calls in. Been thinking on this too. Which would be better on the closure, velcro or a snap? Velcro would be the easiest to sew on, but it would be noisy opening. If I used a snap, I would have to offset it from the center since it would be sewn down the middle to seperate the 2 calls. I could also do a strap & buckle closure, but that would be hard to do with gloves on.

See what you guys put me through??? Get a simple suggestion and it turns into a nightmare.

Just a thought but what about some type of simple elastic band like on a shotgun shell belt placed inside the leather outer cover?

That would eliminate noise and possible damage to the calls from a snap or closure. You could still do a top closure by using a simple flap or lid that would just close over the calls without a snap or velcro since the elastic would be holding the calls!

I'm sure whatever you come up with it will be unique since not many work in leather tooling anymore!

Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Weasel, can you get some pics of that pouch with the flap open?

Course it is a suede leather and I work with tooling leather, which is stiffer, but you are helping with the design process with the pic.

You are both right on target! Great minds think alike! LOL!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Thanks Weasel. I will see what I can come up with. I was looking at the Conchos available and one is the end of a shotgun shell. That would work for the fastening like what yours has on it.

This brings up something else. Who on here does the braiding?? I have a bunch of vinyl coated leather lace from several years of Tandy kits that I have done. I always use Kangaroo Lace when I put the kits together and have always just thrown the old lace in a Christmas cookie tin that I had. Its either give it away or learn how to braid my own lanyards, not sure if this lace would be any good for that or not.

Back