D-Tech Quality

GreifShorthairs

I just recieved my AR. It is a 223 with a 20" fluted Shilen barrel with one of Mike's comps on it. There has been tons of praise for Mike's guns on how well they group. I haven't even shot this rifle yet but am not concerned with it being a shooter as I am sure it will shoot awesome.
What I want to talk about is the overall quality of the workmanship. The machining of this rifle is in a league of it's own. I know what I speak of here having been a lathe operator and having inspected parts for many years from different companies such as John Deere and Cat. Mike's work on this barrel I still can't stop looking at. The fluting is perfect and the comp......you have to see it to believe it. This was the one area of the build I was nervous about having not seen what one of his rifles look like with the comp. The shall we say "eye apeal" is very important to me also. Mike sent me a picture recently of the comp on a rifle. I responded that I thought in our conversation that I had to have a screw on comp. He responded that is a picture of a screw on comp. He said you just can't see it. I guess that is one of the times seeing is believing because I still can't believe the work is so fine on this rifle that no matter how much I look at it you just cannot see where the barrel stops and the comp begins.
I am so thrilled with the quality of this rifle. The only negative is that now it just makes me want another!!! Better start saving the pennies again!!!
Thanks so much Mike for being so patient and for taking time with all those phone calls. You truly are an AR artist.

I'm no machinist or gun expert or top dog predator hunter, but I knew I had a high-quality upper the second I took it out of the box. And you're right, Mike is an easy person to deal with- straight talker- no talking down to you, no sarcasm, no sales pitch- just straight information. I'd deal with him any day of the week and recommend him to anyone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

The only negative is that now it just makes me want another!!! Better start saving the pennies again!!!

I hear you on that point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Are you going to scope it? I just received my nikon buckmasters 4.5 - 14 x 40 with bdc. I cant wait to get out and shoot it. I am going to try 300+ after the initial sight in. If you dont handload black hills 52 gr. match hollow point shoot real nice out of that dtech. Just trying to help. Have fun with it.

It is actually my first AR. I had a Bushnell 3200 Elite sitting around so I put it on it. Going to save up and get a different scope for it......just not sure what yet. I bought it for coyote hunting so I am kind of leaning towards a Trijicon with the normal crosshairs.
Thanks for the advice on the blackhills. I reload but I may just buy the rounds for right now. If I start reloading for this rifle I may buy a Dillon.

Mike it top notch. He makes a fantanstic gun too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have 2 he has built for me.

Both are .223.

One is his bread and butter Olympic SUM with a fluted 20" barrel.

The last one is a Rock River A4 varmint 18" SS that he put together and his son Marshall fluted. I've killed with both of them. The SUM killed a coyote last Saturday.

A frined of mine has 2 or 3 of his. One is 6x45, .223 and tac .20 I think.

I have a .223(will have two of them when the UPS man shows up next week)a Tactical .20 and a 6X45mm all DTech's as Yellowhammer mentioned above. I just got back from the range a few minutes ago and checked my 6X45 to see if it was close enough to shoot a hog tonite since its a full moon. I saw this post and decided to take a picture of my group.I was aiming at the black dot in the bigger black and its 3 shots at 100yds.
img_0014.jpg

Yes I know I am shooting to the left but this is my plinking ammo not the accurate stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Mike is a great guy to do business with and he has quite a few different calibers just tell him what you are interested in and he can guide you but as everyone has warned you about it can get addictive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
That is just sick! DANG IT BOY! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've seen David shoot and he's better than I am. I have shot that 6x45 and it has a SWEET trigger. Good glass too.

David, don't shoot all the hogs. I am just waiting for little cool weather to make the drive your way.

WOW!!!!! .3415 that is a pretty group!! I had this rifle built way better than I'll ever be able to shoot but it's nice knowing that it is far more capable tham me.
What kind of glass do you guys have mounted. I like my 3200 it's just that I think this rifle deserves something a little special.
Thanks for all the replys. And if you can't tell I am thrilled with this little black beauty!!!

Yellowhammer I am not going to mess with the coyotes I am saving them for that cool weather trip but some bacon is gonna get busted.I hope. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

The glass on the 6X45mm is a Nikon Monarch 6-20X but that is a little to much for coyotes IMO I have a Bushnell 3200 on a .17 rimfire and its OK but I would look at the 4200 series they are tops for the money you spend OR the new Bushnell 6500 looks like it would be a great all around scope because of the range of power(2.5-16) but they are a little pricier than the 4200.

Last edited:
I have mine topped with a Leupold VXIII in 4.5x14 with a varmint reticle- or should I say, it will be after I get the scope back from being camo-dipped to match the rifle because you know it's very important to have all matching camo on your gun- you wouldn't want the coyotes laughing at you or end up on the cover of Predator X-treme magazine as an example of a poor fashion statement /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Brendan43 that is the scope I have on three of my Varmit guns and its a very nice scope although i have discovered that reticle is hard to see at night. I have not dipped my scopes as of yet but the coyotes have not laughed at my fashion fauxpas as much as they have at my bad shooting on a few occasions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Mike not only does great work, he also backs it up. I bought mine used from another member here in the Classifieds, Mike PM'd me and let me know that I could expect the same service from him as if I'd bought the gun new from him. He also answers AR questions a lot on here, regardless if it's one of his guns or not. Great guy all around.

peace.
unloaded

The quality of Mikes rifles are SOOOO very good. I loved my Dtech. Look at the wait time you have with Mike and realize that if you have to wait that long and so many people are in line there is a reason. Plus if you knew how many repeat customers were part of that waiting line I bet you would be astounded. He is a great guy to work with and puts out a great product.

I know what you mean. I have 3 uppers and 1 lower from Mike. I had to quit ordering more, so my wife could catch up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Jimmy

I took my rifle into Scheels which is of course a sporting goods store to find a case for it today. After being helped by one of the salesmen and paying for the case we continued shopping. Pretty soon the salesman came up to us and asked if we had a little time that there were several of the gun guys that were wanting to see the rifle after he had told them about it. Needless they were impressed with the rifle. Sure was fun to see the looks on their faces and hear the comments.
They also sell another brand that is very well thought of but you could tell they realized they didn't have this level of craftmenship in their cases.
Sure was a fun day.

I just got my 204 from Mike about 2 weeks ago. Shooting factory ammo I've been getting groups from 1.625 to 3" at 300 yds. It has a standard trigger I did a little work on it and it seemed to help. Got this group yesterday. The gun is a beautiful peice of machinery. don't know if the pic will work,1st try.
Wayne [image]http://s466.photobucket.com/albums/rr27/wainmann/?action=view&current=P1010267.jpg[/image]

Last edited:
Back