McCroskey Knives

guess

I got several knives to try out on hogs from 1 of our members; he goes by THA_EDGE on here and makes McCrosky knives. Most of you have never skinned a hog,well I can tell you this I hit my knife to a steel on average 5-6 times per hog. Right now I'm trying out the Elk knife. We killed two hogs this evening. 1 was very sickly looking so I didn't get to skin it, but the other one I cut up. I skinned and boned the meat out and I can guarantee you the knife was every bit as sharp when I finished as it was when I started. I called Dave and told him his knife doubled my time in skinning do to the fact I was afraid I would cut a finger off! Sharpest dang Knives I've ever handled. When he tells you they are sharp he MEANS IT! I can tell you this splitting the skin down the hogs back was like a hot knife through butter; SMOOTH.
These knives are good looking knives as well and fit my hand like a glove. I'm anxious to try them all and see how long they hold that edge on hogs.
I will keep you all updated on how they perform.
normal_elk_knife.jpg

normal_elk_knife_cut_1.jpg

normal_elk_knife_cut_2.jpg

i have two from Dave's knife's plan on getting the elk one. he is a great person. i met Dave at the oklahoma hunt. nice job Glenn. Rick

I have yet to own a knife that I don't need to resharpen half a dozen times while skinning and quartering a elk.
I almost don't believe it.

You need to talk to Dave!

He skins lots of elk, that is his favorite game animal! His knives are so sharp they will skin the ink off of a piece of paper without cutting a hole in it!!!! I've seen him do it!
You can actually cut through a piece of printer paper by allowing the weight of the knife blade to contact the paper. There is no way in the whole world you could get me to try to shave with one of his "ultra sharp" highest level blades! ...You would likely lose skin in the process.
He gives special intructions with the highest level blade on putting them in the sheath... if you don't do it correctly you will slice right thru the leather!
Now, don't quote me on this one but I think his record is three elk on one blade and still going. Truly amazing!

I don't even own one and still sound like a prostaff! LOL

Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

4 of us butchered, quartered, and comepletely cut up 3 elk....using only 4 knives total....funny thing about these 4 knives, they weren't sharpened yet, they were production ready. No handles, not sharpened or buffed up. They worked great. At the end though, they were dragging a bit, remember though, they weren't sharp (according to Dave's standards) going into this deal.. I have never seen a knife do what his will. It is amazing.

Quote:
I have yet to own a knife that I don't need to resharpen half a dozen times while skinning and quartering a elk.

I was skeptical as well, you have to remember I have skinned hogs with the "best" knives on the market and have never made it through a hog without sharpening a knife in most cases 5-6 times per hog. Hogs hair is like screen wire. Dave gave me his speach, the same one you hear from every custom everything maker{no offense Dave, but you know what I'm talking about} except Dave's was NOT exagerated. If you make a mistake you will likely be missing a finger!!!
I have now cleaned 3 hogs with the knife even clipped a copper bullet jacket and I promise you it still has at least one more hog in it's future.
If I'm not mistaken he offers a money back guarantee, that I trust you will never need!
I have never seen anything like them. The only problem I see with his knives is that they are almost to pretty to use and most will want to save them to look at, a mistake I assure you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Thanks guys. Glenn. You might try to hit that elk on a steel or drag it accross an oak board or a leather strop in order to straighten the edge. They get those flat spots etc from bone, bullets etc. Remember that we have a 5* edge. If you had a buffer or paper wheel w/ rouge you could probably do ten before it needed to be sharpened. The record as reported to me was 41 deer CAPED out without sharpening. Jeff Steele did 6 bull elk one afternoon using the elk to open and the MBS for the skinning at the Lawton elk hunt a few years ago. Both were sharp when he finished but not as sharp as original.
There are a lot of "things" that go into making a knife that will preform but hardness is at the top. And a person that is "smart" in the correct use of a knife is bigger yet. I have heard excited people tell me over a thousand stories of what could NOT BE DONE that they just did.
Glenn. I look forward to meeting you at the EXPO next week. I will bring a few blanks so people can see how a knife should fit. The trappers are one-size-fit-all so I will have all that are finished with me. Different colors. Don't have a table and this is my first time to the event and I hope to have as much fun as we had at Poteau last Feb.
Thanks Glenn for testing something different.
Dave McCroskey

Dave could you bring an elk for me if you have one that fit's me. when i get home i'll be back to bear hunting. get's real good from now on. lot's of berry's they will be moving good and bigger. Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

the two i have now..
P1000006-1.jpg

Quote:

Mark. I am out of loaners right now but if you want a knife, call me. I will guarantee it to do and elk or I will personally come, refund you money, pick up the knife, AND pick up the elk cause it will be way to tough to eat. LOL. Seriously though give me a call. 877 2knives [877 256-4837]

Glenn,
Did not "meet" you there (was standing in a group with Dave while you were talking to him), but I congratulate you on a beautiful knife. I got this set from Dave while there:
McCrosky180.JPG
and ordered an Elk Model from him.
I must say that I was expecting to pay a lot more for such quality. Dave has quite a story to tell (actually several /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif) and I was very impressed with both him and his work. Sorry I did not get a chance to talk with you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

BTW, I parked my big red Ford Focus a few spaces down from that little red truck of yours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If I ever get down that way, I'll look ya up.

Bob (The Skypilot)

Bob. I think that BIG red truck belongs to Jim and Christine Wilson. I did not see What Glenn was driving so it might be a big red truck also. Your knife has the handle on it and will be carved tomorrow. But I flooded Gerald with sheath orders so it may be a week.
Dave

Not a problem, Dave. I'm anxious to get it, of course, but I understand. Again, really great to meet you and be able to spend some time learning.

Glenn, if that was not your truck, oops--seems someone had attributed it to you. Anyway, good to see you there.

Bob

Dave's not kidding about them being sharp and staying that way!! They're the best I've ever seen ,,,, thats probably why I brought 3 of his pearing knives back from the expo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IMG_1946.jpg

100_6706.jpg

Got my elk model from Dave at the expo. very nice work. got a really nice sheath with bear on it and bearmanric on the blade. now i have all three. trying to leave tomorrow or thursday for bear calling see if i can break it in. thank Dave your friend. Rick
P1000013.jpg

Bob, I'm so sorry we didn't get to talk. For future reference if you wait on me to stop talking....... well don't wait just step and say hey. I would have loved to have met you, I had a great time meeting and talking to all the guys I met there.

Oh by the way not my truck, I road out with Rod Haydel. The folks it belonged to were great folks and the lady had the sweetest little puppy dog eyes and the hand shake of a real man she was all of almost 5 feet tall.

Glenn,

I wish we had more time to talk, too!

Guys, I had to finally just pull Glenn's ponytail to get him to shut up! I knew it would be OK because my ponytail is almost as long as his! LOL Hope to get a chance to meet again soon. Give the family all hugs and prayers from here.

Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

The "Skypilot" came today. Beautiful!!
Elk%20181.JPG

Dave has done a splendid job. Will be making another order soon, very soon!!

Thanks Dave /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bob

Back