trail cam

markts

Looking to purchase my first trail cam. Any one have an opinion on the Moaltree 5.0 megapixel Outfitter? I know it is low end but that is about all my buget allows for at this time. Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I don't have any experience with that camera, I would check www.chasingame.com to see if they have a review for that camera.

I have been buying Bushnell Trail Sentry 2.1mp cameras($100 at Cabelas). I have been very happy with them. Here are some pictures from the Bushnell:

SUNP0243-1.jpg

SUNP0268-1.jpg

Battery life has been great on the cameras. I pulled one out of the woods last week with 809 pictures and still taking them, I'd say half or more were at night with the flash.

I haven't used that particular camera, but I have 4.0 MP Moultrie. It is a good camera for the money (currently about $75 at Wally world). If I wasn't going cheap I would definitely step up to a infrared flash which would go another $100 at least.

Aaron

I just bought that same camera and it is currently out in the woods. I will probably go get it this weekend and let you know what I think. My uncle has the same camera and loves it.

Here are a few pics of the same deer. I left the camera out for 4-5 days over a salt block and a pile of apples. I got about 30 pictures of the same buck. The camera has a laser aim so I set it at about 40" off the ground. Seems to be a decent camera for the money and was $100 on sale at Cabelas right now.
MDGC0013.jpg
MDGC0020.jpg

I've got the moultrie D-40, 4.0 megapixel camera. I like it real well so far, especially seing that its a $100. camera. I set it out a few weeks back and go some deer pics. I have it on some ground I'm currently looking at for elk. I'm going to pick it up on Tuesday. Here's a few pics from mine.

testbuck2.jpg

testbuck.jpg

9pt.jpg

I'd try to scratch up another $75 and buy a cuddeback capture. they are outstanding. Good pics, great quality and priced right. I've got two of the Moultries that you are wanting, and although the do work okay, the trigger is slower than an old woman on a walker. They do work okay for a feeder though...

Jason

I Really like Stealthcam a lot. They have very clear, good looking pics. And are somewhat affordable.

Here is a video of mine from this last week.

I messed up on the date/time portion...This was my fault.

You should also look at my other videos...The other one that is still shots only has some moultrie pics too.

You can tell which ones are moultrie as they are the ones that are grainy looking (even though they are supposed to be 4mp)

The Stealthcams are more clear and better all around looking pics. In my opinion, if you want better, the only ones that are better (to me) are the cuddebacks.

Everyone has their own opinions, this is just mine. I'm trying to back it up by showing proof in clarity.

We have been using the Moultree cameras for 3 years now. Our first one is still up and running good. We always get multiple pics of the same animals at night so I really don't think the flash spooks them that much.

I see it this way. When you go to infrared, you lose picture quality. I personally do not like black and white phots of animals. Infrared pics have bright white glare off of the animal.

With the flash, you see color. MOST of the time it does not scare the animal. But I see it this way. Whether or not you scare the animal, you already have a pic of it and it is a quality color pic.

It is all preference. Go with what you want and feel like you should have.

I have Moultrie 4.1 camera(which they don't make anymore) I don't buy into the flash scares game I have several thousand pictures on my PC from this year and not a single on running of with his tail in the air. OFten they will stand there for upwards of an hour. Just like anything yeah at first they are nervous of it. But if they are used to it doesn't phase them a bit.
I wish there ws a way to put them in an online album so everyone could see them. Got some really cool ones but way too many to post up.

The moultrie's biggest liability is its trigger time. It's one of the slowest out there.

Other than that, it's a decent unit for the money.

I simply won't spend over $200 for a trail cam, as I am concerned about theft.

$98 bucks is easy enough to part with should some slimeball choose to steal it from me.

I bought an HCO scoutguard a couple of months ago for about 200 bucks. It is a pretty good little unit. Runs on AA batteries, which is a plus compared to the D cell that my cuddeback runs on. It is infrared, and takes a pretty nice video, and some pretty clear pictures.

I do like my cuddeback's picture quality a bit more, but it was almost twice the price. Unless you are over some sort of "holder" (salt, bait, etc), or facing up and down a trail, you will miss a lot of pictures with a slow trigger time. My cuddeback is on a trail crossing right now, and I miss very few pictures. I also have it very close to the trail (accident, but that's another story for another day - and I just haven't moved it), so some of my pictures are a bit blurry - not the cameras fault, the "placer" of the camera is to blame.

I would suggest going with a quality, quick trigger speed camera and not looking back. If you are going to spend the money, why not make a good investment.

My.02

Back