35 or 40 gr. Berger for .204 ??

mgaines

I have worked up two very accurate handloads for my .204 Savage which I will be hunting coyotes with this fall/winter. One is with the 35 grain Berger (which many people rave about), and one is with the 40 grain Berger. I am switching from a .22-250 to the .204 in order to reduce pelt damage. You guys have been considerable help to me in the past, so I'm gonna throw this question at ya.....Which bullet would be your choice to shoot coyotes (and an occasional bobcat) and why? Would one have any edge over the other? Since I'm calling the coyotes, my shots should be under 150yds. I suppose that I could get a shot out to 300, but seldom if ever. Maybe I'm splitting hairs here by being this meticulous, but if any of you have tried these bullets on yotes/cats and have an opinion, I would like to hear from you. Only difference I can see at this point is that the 40 grainer is a lot easier to seat into the case due to the boat-tail design. As always, your insight is appreciated.

I would go with the 35 grain berger. I have shot many coyotes with it and 90% without exits and DRT. I have also seen 2 bobcats shot with the 35s that didn't have any pelt damage. Seating the bullets is a moot point to make a decision IMO.

I have two guns in .17 remington. I like the 20, 25,and 30 grain bergers in Match/Varmint configuration. The match bullets don't open up as well.

I really don't see much difference in performance of the three weights. Mostly DRT with a .172 hole going in and nothing coming out. It's kinda like they just go to sleep in the scope.

My longest shot on a coyote with a .17 was 178 lazered yds.
DRT>

Just my opinion but which ever one that shoots best in your gun, is what you should use.

I only use the .204 Ruger for bear hunting though.

HA HA

Dave

Almost every coyote I have shot under 100 yds with a 40g Vmax with my AR 204 have left exit holes between 4 and 6 inches. Past 100 yds the Vmax rarely exits. With the 35g Berger I have had only 1 exit hole at shots under 100 yds and none over 100yds.

Quote:
Since I'm calling the coyotes, my shots should be under 150yds. I suppose that I could get a shot out to 300, but seldom if ever.

For your needs, I'd suggest the 35 gr variant. The 40 gr is a better bullet for longer shots.

Thanks for the information guys. In shooting both bullets, it looks like I get greater accuracy with the 40 grainers. But from what you guys are saying, it sounds like the 35's would generate less pelt damage. With the 35's, I'm getting pretty consistent groups right at and under .75" with 25.5 grains of H322. However with the 40's, I'm getting most of my groups under .5". Shot a couple of .4" groups last Sunday. Those groups were 27.0gr of H4895. I think what I'll try to do is shoot a coyote with each bullet this winter and see if there is any difference.

I wanted to use the 40gr Bergers in my 204, and I did for awhile. I liked the heavier weight and higher BC's of the 40gr bullet, I shot some coyotes with the 40gr's and was pleased with the results. However, with my SPS, I couldn't get the heavier bullets to group under 1.5 " consistently, so, I now use the 35gr bullets, the gun shoots these very accurately and they're relatively fur friendly to boot.
Let us know how you make out.

I forget exactly, but of the 30+ coyotes that I shot last year with my .204, I think 8 of them died from the 35 gr. berger and the rest were with the 40 gr. berger. I didn't have any exits with the 35's, and I did have a few, only one nasty one, exit with the 40's.
I got descent groups from both, and at this point, I don't really prefer one over the other. I am planning on using the 40 gr. this year mostly because they do carry a little more punch and they don't really make a mess of the pelt, in most situations.
I did have one 35 gr. berger that left a nasty entry hole on one coyote that I shot broadside at about 35 or 40 yards. Almost like I had surface splash, BUT he died after a 100+ yard sprint. Other than that, I was pleased with the 35's performance.

I've had similar experiences with the 35gr Bergers where the entrance holes are like quarter size splashes, not all the time, but sometimes.

I've used the 35's mostly at ranges from 50 to 300 yards. Everything has died instantly but the problem with the 35 is it runs out of steam around 300 yards. And wind drift is pretty excessive. I have two 527 CZ's in 204, one American and the other is the Varmint model. This year I'll be shooting the 40's out of the Varmint model and I hope to gain a little extra yardage. I've never had a 35 exit with about a dozen coyotes to it's credit. Can't say about the 40 but I've heard people are getting a few more exits although usually not bad. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Back