lanyard groove in corn howler

dogcaller

Rich,or anyone else,
How do you make the lanyard groove in your cow horn howlers? I have been trying to think of an easy way, but haven't come up with one yet. One problem is the thickness of the horn varies from one to another. I've got 3or4 made up using critter call pee-wee calls. Called in my first coyote with one last week, so i know they work. Any help will be appreciated, thanks.
Dogcaller,

dogcaller,
I know exactly what you are talking about, and I feel your pain. One method I use on horns that are thick walled enough is this---Drill the hole for the voice deep enough so that you can insert the voice an inch or so down into the horn and epoxy it there. After it drys you can grind your lanyard groove. This way, even if you grind the groove all the way through the horn in some places, the epoxy is holding things together very nicely. Clear as mud? Second method is to drill 1/4" hole up near front of the horn and attach lanyard there. I use leather lace. Now take a second length of lace, make a slip knot and tighten it around the horn about two or three inches forward of the mouth piece. The lanyard that you have attached up front, passes under the loop in your slip knot. Now take other end of that lace that you have slip knotted around horn, run it through the front hole in horn and pull it tight. Two or three half hitches will hold things nice and tight for ya. I will try to post a photo of a howler I have rigged in this manner. Watch for the photo here.

What I've been doing is marking a ring with pencil around the horn where I want the groove, then I use a dremel tool with a large dia. etching bit and make the groove with it. I have been using those skinning rope lanyards with tension spring, so I just make the goove deep enough to hold it in place. It works pretty good and I haven't dremeled through a horn yet! "knock on wood HERE"

Lanyardrig.jpg

Back