Predator Masters using UBB.threads ô Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#1035473 - 08/09/08 11:55 PM AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives!
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Loc: Washington State
WooHoo!!! (Several posts below.)

Here's 4 of my blades that are ready to go. I'm pretty pleased with them.

These are all Peerless 8670 Tool Steel, from 1/4" stock. Heat Treated and Cryo-Cycled by Gene Martin, Provision Forge. Awesome heavy steel, and treated by a consumate professional bladesmith. They're as good as they come!

#8 and #11 are extremely tapered tangs, 12 and 17 are slightly tapered, only a little. They're all full tang style knives.

They're finished by hand to 400, ready to either hand finish to 600 or 1000, or to blast, or to hand finish to 600 then buff to a mirror finish.

You can see my thoughts in the pin hole patterns when I built them, but I'm not limited to those if the grip material dictates otherwise.

Here's a pic...

Top to bottom...

#17, (SOLD PF) 9" overall, 4" blade. Very deep hollow grind on this one. Big grip.

#8, (SOLD PF) 8 3/4" overall, 4 1/4" blade. Lots of blade, super forward balance.

#12, (SOLD PF) 8 1/4" overall, 3 1/2" blade. Coffin handled single edged boot style pick.

#11, 7 1/2" overall, 3" blade. Real ergie handling skinner.

I'll be building these out in a while, I have several ahead of them that are pre-sold.

If you're interested in having one of these built to your own specs, just contact me, I'll make it the way you want it!

Thanks guys!!

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives,
Mountain Lion Calling: www.rain-shadow.com

AKC Labs
https://rainshadowlabradors.com

#1035474 - 08/10/08 12:10 AM Re: Future Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
cbosshog79 Offline
Retired Staff

Loc: Henderson County, Texas
Great looking stuff, can't wait to see the finished product!

#1035475 - 08/10/08 02:41 AM Re: Future Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: cbosshog79]
IDBob Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Peck Idaho
Steve those are quality looking blades. What kind of steel is the 8670 your using? I've been out of the knife making thing for quite a while and don't know that one.

#1035476 - 08/10/08 03:08 AM Re: Future Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: IDBob]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

It's from a modern sawmill blade, made by Peerless. It's being used quite a bit lately.

AKC Labs

#1035477 - 08/10/08 11:51 AM Re: Future Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
IDBob Offline

Thanks Steve. I was using sawmill planer blades years ago, but had to temper them back so they weren't so brittle. Right now I'm carrying a knife made by a fella in Montana. His name was Rob Simonich. He passed on a couple of years ago in a terrible car wreck. His wife is still running a semi-custom knife business.

I worked in sawmills around here for a bunch of years when I was a young guy. They ground the planer blades down til they got to thin to run and then just threw them away. Great steel for knives. Sadly most all of our mills are history now.

#1035478 - 08/10/08 01:21 PM Re: Future Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: IDBob]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Sweet knife, Bob. I have about 150 planer blades. They're M2HSS, I belt ground one without having it annealed, it ate about 7 belts! (Look at the Maple gripped knife on my gallery page up near the top, my 6th grind.) I cold ground 3 more in a water bathed stone wheel. Took hours. Now, I have to have them annealed or I'm just not going to mess with them anymore. They're too hard on me and my equipment!

Here's 3 more, ready to build...

These are from an antique sawmill bandsaw blade, probably from the 50's. They're 1/8" thick. Probably L6, but I'm still researching. They're also Treated and hardened by Gene Martin, Provision forge.

#5, 8 1/4" overall, 3 1/2" blade. Short Hunter, real grippy.

#4, (SOLD!) 9" overall, 4 1/2" blade. False edge on the spine, kitchen or camp style knife.

#3, (SOLD!) 8 1/4" overall, 3 3/4" blade. Lite utility style, nice handling.

These knives are thinner and more precise handling than the 8670. They'll be a little bit cheaper. They can grip up nice or basic.

Contact me if you want to reserve one!

(I have 3 1095 blades and 2 more 8670 blades that I'm still cleaning up and rubbing out!)

AKC Labs

#1035479 - 08/10/08 06:55 PM Re: Future Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Oh, hey! I forgot about this one.

This little 3 finger knife was custom ordered with every i dotted and every t crossed. So, just to be sure, I built 2! He took #14.

#15 is SOLD! 6" overall, 2 3/4" blade, air hardened A2 tool steel. Convex grind.

The knife built is almost identical, built with silver pins, stainless mosaic pins and lanyard tube, and Exhibition grade desert ironwood. (I took 2 pictures because this is such an awesome piece of wood! I HAVE MORE OF IT TOO!!!) Bookmatched scales, but there's so much figure you can hardly tell! Black carbon spacers. Hand rubbed 600 grit finish.

AKC Labs

#1035480 - 08/10/08 10:27 PM Re: Future Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
gary paugh Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: portland oregon
I realy like the looks of ironwood my last 3 customs have ironwood handles, the wood on yours is outstanding.
Great job.
Gary
is always poor, out of luck and friendless.
The meanest creatures despise
him and even the flea would desert him
for a velocipede.Ē .

#1035481 - 08/10/08 11:54 PM Re: Future Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: gary paugh]
IDBob Offline

Just beautiful work Steve. I've got some ironwood around here I've been thinking of using for a set of grips on my Taurus Ultra-light snubby. My father in law is a amature wood worker and he picks a lot of ironwood up when he winters in Arizona. He's given me several bunches of his scraps.

Yup I ran into the same problem with the planer blades. You've got to anneal them before grinding then temper them back to a reasonable hardness. I never beat one into shape, but always wanted to try forging one. I like small knives with 3.5 inch or under blades.

I ran a small gunsmith shop for a bunch of years and the knife making was just a hobby for me though I did sell a few. I'm not near the artist you are.

I used to make steak knife sets out of the big band saw blades. There was always a lot of that around as we would brake one once in a while and it was easy to grind without annealing.

I sure appreciate good work, thanks for the pix.

#1035482 - 08/11/08 02:50 PM Re: Future Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: IDBob]
berettaman Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Southeastern KY
Wow Steve it really turned out nice!! Can't wait to get my hands on it!! I want you to know I appreciate you making me the custom from a pic.

#1035483 - 08/11/08 07:51 PM Re: Future Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: berettaman]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Hope it works out right, berettaman! It's as pictured, only with the mods you asked for. It's sharpened sticky at every molecule of the edge! (400 belt until it pulled a real even foil along the whole edge, then blended and stropped on the oiled 600 paper, then finished with the steel.) Careful with that pig sticker!!!

Thanks for the fun project!

#3 is spoken for.
#4 also.
#8 is back up again....

AKC Labs

#1035484 - 08/19/08 03:05 PM Re: Future Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

#17 is Sold PF.

#8 ' s buyer is out of work and had to back out, so Blade #8 is back on the block.

AKC Labs

#1035485 - 08/19/08 04:13 PM Re: Future Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
berettaman Offline
Die Hard Member III

That's what I like about A-2 Steve, it just gets so sharp it's scary!! Please let me know when you ship it! Thanks!

#1035486 - 08/20/08 02:07 PM Re: Future Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: berettaman]
berettaman Offline
Die Hard Member III

Gary, no only is Desert Ironwood beautiful it is extremely stable which is also important to me. I've got a couple of custom knives done up in that wood that are 35 years old and have not checked or anything and still as beautiful as the day I got them. I rub teak oil on all my handles sometimes but really not necessary with the ironwood.

#1035487 - 08/21/08 01:34 PM Re: Future Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: berettaman]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

More shuffling, now 11 is back up and 17 is sold.

I'm going out to clean up 3 1095 blades, I'll post them later today if possible.

AKC Labs

#1035488 - 08/21/08 03:59 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Ok, here's 3 blades in 1095. Heat treated and Cryo-Cycled by Gene Martin, Provision Forge. 3/16" thick, slightly tapered tangs...

#18, (SOLD PF) 8 1/2" overall, 3 1/2" cutting edge. Deep skinner.

#10, (SOLD PF) 9" overall, 4 1/2 cutting edge, single edged boot.

#9, (PULLED to be built to spec...) 8 1/2" overall, 4" cutting edge, traditional multi-purpose.

AKC Labs

#1035489 - 08/21/08 10:19 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

#10 Single edged boot blade has been spoken for.

AKC Labs

#1035490 - 08/25/08 11:26 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

15 is sold

AKC Labs

#1035491 - 08/26/08 08:26 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Here's #3....

Here's #4....

Both were custom gripped to the buyer's specifications. #3 has a matching enclosed reed echo chamber bleat/bawl call.

AKC Labs

#1035492 - 09/04/08 12:46 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

#8 and #18 are Reserved...

AKC Labs

#1035493 - 09/05/08 07:17 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

#15, and #10, both basic and clean working knives...

Micarta and Brass,

Desert Ironwood and Nickle,

Both will wear Kydex....

AKC Labs

#1035494 - 09/05/08 07:27 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
ASmith Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: odessa mo.
Oh I like both of those but I am drawn to #10 for some reasson Looks real nice Steve perfect.

#1035495 - 09/07/08 12:16 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: ASmith]
Joe Bradshaw Offline

Loc: Ozark, Arkansas
I feel the same way about #15...how long are those blades?

Joe

If I build them...they will come.

FOXPRO Field Staff - Mossy Oak Field Staff

#1035496 - 09/07/08 12:22 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: Joe Bradshaw]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Joe, #15 was 6" overall, handy little A2, "3 finger knife" for a member here...

#12 is also taken now....

AKC Labs

#1035497 - 09/08/08 05:22 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

4 of you guys had Kydex coming on these, so I waited until I got them all done to spend a kydex afternoon!

AKC Labs

#1035498 - 09/12/08 02:38 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
ASmith Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: odessa mo.
Steve I got the knife today and am very pleased with the craftmanship and deseign of this knife ,very well done. It is a smaller knife with a lot of back bone to do fish cleaning all the way up to the bigger chores a good all around knife . Anyone in the market for a great blade talk with Rainshadow great knives at a good price with porject updates cant beat that.

#1035499 - 09/16/08 01:36 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: ASmith]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Blade #12

Musk Ox bolsters, Nickle Pins, Quilted Sapele Scales, White and Brick Carbon spacers.

I really like this Coffin handle once it's finished, looks very cool and feels great in the hand. Gonna do more of these, that's for sure!

AKC Labs

#1035500 - 09/17/08 01:34 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Here's #18.

Deep skinner with a hefty grip, Mid Range build. Moose Antler double bolsters, Red/white carbon spacers, Musk Ox Horn Scales, Nickle pins, Stainless Mosaics and Lanyard Tube. Stabilized.

AKC Labs

#1035501 - 09/18/08 02:15 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
berettaman Offline
Die Hard Member III

Very nice Steve!!

#1035502 - 09/18/08 08:03 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: berettaman]
daddywpb Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Sunny South Florida
Steve,
They are all beautiful! Are there any left?

#1035503 - 09/19/08 03:08 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: daddywpb]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Thanks Gentlemen.

5, 11, and 9 are left from this batch. I'm expecting a batch of (I think) 7, back from the heat treat any time now. I think 6 of them will be the last numbered blades. I'll post them here in this thread when I get them.

AKC Labs

#1035504 - 09/20/08 02:24 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

#11 is sold pending funds...

AKC Labs

#1035505 - 09/22/08 09:42 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

5 and 9 are still available...

Here's 6 more back from heat treat......

Starting top left at 19, and going as reading thru 24, They'll all be marked and numbered. 19 and 20 are dremeled, 21 and up will be etched.

These are all 8670 Peerless Tool Steel. I've blasted them to clean them up, but will finish them out when I build them. No more blasted finishes on Carbon blades.

Thanks guys!

AKC Labs

#1035506 - 09/22/08 11:12 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

22 (middle right) is taken...

AKC Labs

#1035507 - 09/25/08 11:52 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
casterbuster Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Mineral Wells, Tx
Rainshadow would you be willing to sell the blades unfinished as blanks? I really like the look of #21

#1035508 - 09/25/08 12:22 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: casterbuster]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Once I get past 25 I will, but not now.

AKC Labs

#1035509 - 09/25/08 08:15 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Here's # 17, Moose antler double bolsters, Brown Mallee Burl, Nickle Silver Pins, Stainless Tube.

AKC Labs

#1035510 - 09/25/08 09:27 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
daddywpb Offline
Die Hard Member II

Beautiful!!!

#1035511 - 09/27/08 01:09 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: daddywpb]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

# 11 For the Bocote man! Moose Antler, Bocote, Brass, Dark Red Carbon....

AKC Labs

#1035512 - 09/27/08 05:08 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
daddywpb Offline
Die Hard Member II

Oh yea! #11 is mine. Thanks to my wife for the extremely early Christmas present and thanks to Steve for the fantastic job! He knew what I wanted even better than I did.

#1035513 - 10/03/08 09:34 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: daddywpb]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

#5 is taken...

AKC Labs

#1035514 - 10/11/08 08:18 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
daddywpb Offline
Die Hard Member II

Ol' #11 showed up in my mailbox today, and it's a beauty! The sheath is a THICK, heavy duty piece of leather that'll last a lifetime, with some scrolls and my inital stamped in - beautiful! And if that weren't enough, there were two calls in the box that are real screamers. Not sure what Steve has planned for those calls, but they sound great.

I'm glad I got one of the numbered blades. Get one before they're gone!

Thanks, Steve - great job!

#1035515 - 10/11/08 12:42 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: daddywpb]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Thanks Steve, I'm sorry for the confusion! Hope that piece serves well and you get many years of pleasure and use out of it.

In case you missed it, here's #22....

AKC Labs

#1035516 - 10/11/08 12:57 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
berettaman Offline
Die Hard Member III

That call & matching custom knife are super nice Steve!!

#1035517 - 10/14/08 12:58 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: berettaman]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Thanks Larry!

Here's #5. I didn't expect it to come out so nice, honestly. But I cut into a fabulous piece of cocobolo, and the butt (which is the actual back edge of the antique sawmill blade) turned out beautiful! Spaced with silver carbon and bolstered with bone... a favorite of my designs.

Pics...

AKC Labs

#1035518 - 10/14/08 05:56 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
daddywpb Offline
Die Hard Member II

Another winner! Very nice!!!!!

#1035519 - 10/15/08 08:26 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: daddywpb]
Drunk_on_Diesel Offline

Loc: Evergreen, CO
Steve,

#5 turned out EXACTLY how I wanted it to. I can't wait until i get to try it out. Thank you very much.

Jay

#1035520 - 10/15/08 01:28 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: Drunk_on_Diesel]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Jay, I've been practicing my edge geometry on that heavy 8670, and when I got to this 1/8" L6... well, it's just STUPID sharp! I really have to respect it when I handle it, it cuts what it touches!

I'm gonna start calling that design the "Troy Special!" It makes a difference when you happen onto a piece of wood like this one!

Just dyed the sheath, it'll head out Friday.

AKC Labs

#1035521 - 10/15/08 07:01 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

#19 is off the block, I'm going to build it myself for Spec.

AKC Labs

#1035522 - 11/06/08 03:00 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

I have 21, 23, 24, and 25 in the numbered series, and I just got a BUNCH back from heat treat. I'm going to be photographing them individually and posting them. I also got my budget blades back, I'll be photographing them too.

#20 is taken now too...

Here's #9 in case you missed it...

And #19.....

AKC Labs

#1035523 - 11/08/08 02:49 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Here's a few more 8670 Blades for Custom build orders....

SOLD! The LAST numbered series blade!!! SOLD!

Humpback bowie.

Humpback skinner.

SOLD! Deep skinner, erg handle. SOLD!

Flat grind hunter/skinner, erg handle.

Flat grind hunter skinner.

Coffin handle boot skinner.

AKC Labs

#1035524 - 11/25/08 06:59 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Here's 23....

Had a repeat customer see the Laminate series I've been posting up here, and asked for a Call Style Knife! I've been making Knife Style Calls, but this is my first knife with laminate game call influence! It's a base block of Zebrawood, with Red Pauduk and Black Palm white spaced Lams. Then it's pinned with 10, 1/8" Hickory pins and 1, 1/4" Oak pin. My first wood pinned knife!

AKC Labs

#1035525 - 11/25/08 07:11 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
daddywpb Offline
Die Hard Member II

That's WILD! Very nice.

#1035526 - 12/06/08 03:35 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: daddywpb]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Here's #20, a matched set, for the Bocote Man!

AKC Labs

#1035527 - 12/06/08 03:52 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
daddywpb Offline
Die Hard Member II

Absolutely beautiful, Steve! Thanks very much!

#1035528 - 12/08/08 06:52 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: daddywpb]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Here's #25, etched maker's mark and number.

Buffalo Horn Double Bolsters, scaled with Wooley Mammoth Ivory. Pinned both in Gold (Brass) and Silver (Nickle). The Buff pins and lanyard tube are silver, the Mammoth pins are brass. The Mosaics are silver tubes with gold clover leaves.

Here's some pics...

AKC Labs

#1035529 - 12/08/08 09:16 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
Monte243 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: TX, USA
Fantastic Work! This one's mine fella's, first class working art by a great craftsman.

Steve, thanks for putting this together for me. Truly awesome!

#1035530 - 12/21/08 11:23 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: Monte243]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Here's #21. I won't post the sheath, as somebody might figure out who's getting this for Christmas!!!

It's Moose Antler double bolstered, scaled with Desert Ironwood, pinned with a mosaic lanyard tube, a mosaic 1/4", silver nickle, hickory, Oak, and more silver nickle. All lined with red carbon.

Here's some pics....

Merry Merry Christmas, Guys!!!

!

AKC Labs

#1035531 - 12/22/08 08:24 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
Blackfalcon Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Vermont
Awesome work Steve! Congrats to all the new owners of Steve's
outstanding craftsmanship!! A very wise investment, get 'em while you can! Merry Christmas!
Dave

#1035532 - 12/22/08 05:07 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: Blackfalcon]
daddywpb Offline
Die Hard Member II

Quote:

Awesome work Steve! Congrats to all the new owners of Steve's
outstanding craftsmanship!! A very wise investment, get 'em while you can! Merry Christmas!
Dave

Ditto! Get them while you can!

#1035533 - 12/22/08 08:30 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: daddywpb]
N5042M Offline

Loc: Oregon
Great looking knifes, those handles are a work of art.

Glenn

#1035534 - 12/22/08 10:30 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: N5042M]
Monte243 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: TX, USA
Steve, number 25 showed up in the mail It's a great knife and the sheath is way cool.

Thanks for the awesome job!

#1035535 - 12/27/08 09:27 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: daddywpb]
bkhcj8 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: NorthTexas
That is some pretty work!

#1035536 - 12/28/08 08:09 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: bkhcj8]
nboost Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Here
Steve, those are great looking.
I have a question for you. I am trying to make a handle for my knife. Do you put a clear coat on the handles? and if you do, do you apply it after glueing the handles to the blade or before? Again, very nice...........

#1035537 - 12/28/08 08:48 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: nboost]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Thanks guys.

No, nboost. No clearcoat. They have to be built tight, then stabilized, then oil and wax buffed. There's no "finish" on them, it's just the hand work before hand that makes them shine.

AKC Labs

#1035538 - 01/13/09 05:15 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Got another batch back from my Heat Treating Bladesmith today!

Good variety, some D2, some ATS34, and 10 more Budget blades.

These are all built now, check the budget blades for sale thread.

These are the D2, Fired and Cryo'd. This is Super steel. There was actually come confusion at first since the manufacturer of the planer blades these came from said, "They're such good D2 they're almost M2!" Turns out they're D2, but it is a higher grade D2... This is fantastic stock. Numbered D2-1, D2-2, and D2-3. These will be built to order and quoted individually based on the build.

These are the ATS34 Stainless Blades. Fired and Cryo-d. Several designs. These are sweet blades! Also will be built to order and quoted individually based on the build. Numbered A1, A2, A3, A4, and A5.

Let me know if you want any one of these fresh blades!

AKC Labs

#1035539 - 01/16/09 11:57 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Here's #28...

Another High end Musk Ox build. Mirror Finish. 2-tone sheath is underway, built, but unfinished.

Buffalo Horn Double Bolsters, Silver Pins, White Carbon Spacers, Musk Ox Lam inside Musk Ox scales. Brass Lanyard.

AKC Labs

#1035540 - 01/17/09 02:59 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
Weasel-UT Offline
Retired PM Staff

Loc: S.W. Utah
WOW! What a gorgeous piece of art.

#1035541 - 01/27/09 03:51 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: Weasel-UT]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

A1 is also sold.

AKC Labs

#1035542 - 01/28/09 07:51 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Here is D2-#3.

Desert Ironwood, Red Spacer, Nickle Pins, Stainless mosaic and Lanyard, thumb traction .... Sorry for the poor pics! I'll edit after I build the sheath. In a hurry today....

AKC Labs

#1035543 - 01/29/09 01:19 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
ScoutinWyo Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: WY
WOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Thanks for the teaser pictures Steve!

Work of art my friend.

#1035544 - 01/30/09 02:00 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: ScoutinWyo]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Here ya go, Scout...

Better pics of D2-3...

Sheath is still curing a little, so it'll ship Monday.

AKC Labs

#1035545 - 01/30/09 05:04 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
ScoutinWyo Offline
Seasoned Member

#1035546 - 02/23/09 03:05 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: ScoutinWyo]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Did #30 for Spec... SOLD

AKC Labs

#1035547 - 02/25/09 02:19 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Here's A3, Custom Ordered. Nickle, Micarta, Desert Iron... Blast Finished...

You're up NEXT, Knock'emdown!!!

AKC Labs

#1035548 - 03/02/09 06:30 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

A5

Knock'emdown's Knife!

Buffalo Horn bolstered, Bookmatched Sonoran Desert Ironwood (They look very different, but a close look will confirm, this is the same piece of wood slabbed in half! Great figure!), Silver Nickle Pins, Mosaic in place, stainless tube, bronze and brass inner pins.

AKC Labs

#1035549 - 03/02/09 07:23 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
knockemdown Offline
suburban redneck

Loc: NY
HOLY FRIGGIN' DOG POOP!

That's mine???

YOU ARE THE MAN, STEVE! It looks just incredible! Better than I could have imagined!

I am not worthy

#1035550 - 03/02/09 08:41 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: knockemdown]
yotenighthunter Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Tulsa,Oklahoma
Your right Knock 'em...your not worthy better send it to me! haha j/k That thing is sweet!
YNH

#1035551 - 03/04/09 01:34 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: knockemdown]
carvercalls Offline
Sponsor/Retired PM Staff

Loc: Utah
Quote:

HOLY FRIGGIN' DOG POOP!

That's mine???

YOU ARE THE MAN, STEVE! It looks just incredible! Better than I could have imagined!

I am not worthy

+ 1 Freddy is one lucky feller to be getting that beauty!! Beautiful knife Steve

#1035552 - 03/04/09 02:18 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: carvercalls]
daddywpb Offline
Die Hard Member II

Another beauty Steve, but then they all are!

#1035553 - 03/06/09 08:54 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: daddywpb]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Thanks guys... I appreciate it every time.

Packing it up tonight, Fred!

Here's some more steel ready for custom build.....

Damascus 1

Damascus 2

Damascus 3

D2 - 4
(Larger holes drilled for balance, they won't be used, they'll disappear under the grip.)

D2 Hidden Tang 1

D2 Hidden Tang 2

D2 Hidden Tang 3

AKC Labs

#1035554 - 03/07/09 06:27 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
daddywpb Offline
Die Hard Member II

Those damascus blades are beautiful!

#1035555 - 03/07/09 12:12 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: daddywpb]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Thanks Steve, I bought the billet from a blacksmith who sells on e-bay, Craig Barr. I ground those 3 blades from it and had them heat treated. Then I cleaned them up and etched them out. I'm really happy with how they came out!

AKC Labs

#1035556 - 03/07/09 12:38 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
berettaman Offline
Die Hard Member III

Great job Steve!!!

#1035557 - 03/09/09 12:41 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: berettaman]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Thanks Larry,

Damascus #1 is reserved...

AKC Labs

#1035558 - 03/09/09 07:52 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
carvercalls Offline
Sponsor/Retired PM Staff

Steve those Damascus blades look fantastic you did a superb job on them. I hope you post some finished pictures when they are done so I can drool. Im a real sucker for Damascus I love the stuff Kerry

#1035559 - 03/10/09 01:00 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: carvercalls]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Definately will, Kerry. I'm getting some real fancy and intricate build inquiries on them! Hope they come out like they deserve!

AKC Labs

#1035560 - 03/19/09 03:43 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

FINALLY!!! #8...

Checkered Moose Antler, Black Carbon Spaced, Nickle pins, Stainless Mosaic Tubes...

Will wear a black leather sheath.

AKC Labs

#1035561 - 03/19/09 07:06 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
catwhacker Offline
Cusom Call Maker

Loc: west michigan
That last one is very nice Steve. That antler looks good. I can't wait to see the Damascus blades finished.
Nice work.

Jim

SKEPTICAL HIPPO!! What Would Doggin Coyotes Do???????????

Doggin says Hi!!!

#1035562 - 03/21/09 02:13 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: catwhacker]
casterbuster Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Mineral Wells, Tx
Steve where do you get your carbon spacer material.

#1035563 - 03/21/09 02:16 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: casterbuster]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

All the knifemaking supply houses stock it.

AKC Labs

#1035564 - 03/21/09 07:00 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Here's A1

Black Micarta, White Nylon, ATS34 Stainless, All Blasted, Nickle 1/8" pins, brass 1/4" pin...

AKC Labs

#1035565 - 03/26/09 02:44 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

This one got snagged, in person, before it even got posted. Same guy as A1. He wanted all 2 of my big picks!

ATS34 Stainless, 12" overall, Buffalo and Leopardwood, Silver hardware...

AKC Labs

#1035566 - 03/26/09 04:24 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
Weasel-UT Offline
Retired PM Staff

Loc: S.W. Utah
I've been CAUGHT! My wife caught me looking at your knife pictures and was sure I was
A: Looking at porn.
B: Instant Messaging with a young hottie.
C: Had a stroke.
I guess it was the far away look in my eyes and the drool on my shirt?
If you don't mind, I'd like to print out a picture of that last knife and hide it from her.

#1035567 - 03/26/09 04:54 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: Weasel-UT]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Print away! Thanks Weas!

AKC Labs

#1035568 - 03/27/09 02:57 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Here's a new sheath design this customer & I came up with...

It's two layers of leather, a front, a fitted middle layer, then the back layer is Kydex, molded to the knife. The belt clip is fitted and spring loaded, but can be manipulated for easy on/off.

I'll be making more like this!

AKC Labs

#1035569 - 03/27/09 07:30 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
knockemdown Offline
suburban redneck

Beautiful stuff Steve!

#1035570 - 03/30/09 02:45 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: knockemdown]
carvercalls Offline
Sponsor/Retired PM Staff

Steve those look fantastic

#1035571 - 03/31/09 09:33 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: carvercalls]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Thanks, I'm really tickled with the design, very slick.

Hey Guys... I've got several orders on the pegs, but I'm waiting for components on all of them! Soooooo..... #24, #31, and #A2 have been pulled to be built on speculation and will be placed up for sale soon. Probably by April 1 or 2. They're all built, just have to do the finish work, and photograph them!

Also... as soon as I get the next batch back from heat treat (very soon), I'll be updating the photos of the blades that are still up for sale, and posting them right here in the tail end of this thread, so it's easier to see what's available.

I'm leaving all the old photos, so you can look back and see the blank that the finished knife came from. But if you're interested in a Custom, watch here for the updated pics... All available blades will be posted together.

Feel free to PM any questions or inquiries.

AKC Labs

#1035572 - 04/01/09 12:29 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
cbosshog79 Offline
Retired Staff

Steve,

Man your stuff is really looking great. I really like the checkered moose antler knife, that thing is sharp...

#1035573 - 04/09/09 05:51 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: cbosshog79]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

As of Today, 4 / 9 / 2009 , These are the blades I have available for sale/build...

All of these have been ground by me, and heat treated by Gene Martin, of Provision Forge... except for the 3 production units, of course.

Lettered A thru X. Please feel free to contact me and ask specific questions... or to request dimensions and close-ups. (The production Chef's Knife at the bottom center is 12.5" overall.)

A and B are 8670 Tool Steel.
C thru J are ATS 34 Stainless.
K, L, M, are production 440C Stainless.
N thru V are D2.
W and X are Damascus

AKC Labs

#1035574 - 04/10/09 04:44 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

J is sold...

AKC Labs

#1035575 - 04/11/09 01:11 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Here's a couple pics of Damascus #1...

Ended up doing an elk antler grip, triple spaced, with musk ox ends and silver nickle pins. I put a twist damascus guard on it. Came out really nice!

AKC Labs

#1035576 - 04/11/09 01:45 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

D2 Specialty Bird Blade "R" is also Sold...

AKC Labs

#1035577 - 04/11/09 07:16 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

This is what "N", "O", and "P" will look like...

This is the "Yu-tin" model. The first model I'm going to try to make the same as the last one. I'm giving this one to the Apache Guide on the San Carlos Rez who found likely Cougar country with me (and it ALMOST paid off! We had one yelling at us!) He didn't know this was coming.

If you'd like a similar one, Please let me know. I have those 3 and will make more. They'll all be different, but the same, as handmade items tend to be!

AKC Labs

#1035578 - 04/12/09 12:11 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Damascus Blade "X" is also Sold...

AKC Labs

#1035579 - 04/12/09 01:19 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Dibs has been called on production blades L & M as well....

AKC Labs

#1035580 - 04/12/09 09:23 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
catwhacker Offline
Cusom Call Maker

Love the damascus knife Steve. A great piece of work from the hands of a true craftsman!!!

Jim

Doggin says Hi!!!

#1035581 - 04/12/09 11:38 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: catwhacker]
ScoutinWyo Offline
Seasoned Member

Man I wish I was made of money!!

You have been putting out some SCHWEET blades buddy!

#1035582 - 04/12/09 11:42 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: ScoutinWyo]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Thanks guys!

Damascus blade "W" is also claimed....

AKC Labs

#1035583 - 04/12/09 11:04 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Blade "I" has been claimed...

AKC Labs

#1035584 - 04/16/09 10:54 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Ok...

HERE'S AN UPDATE OF WHAT I HAVE AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW....

Feel free to contact me for more info!

Thanks!

AKC Labs

#1035585 - 04/17/09 08:13 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
carvercalls Offline
Sponsor/Retired PM Staff

That's a beautiful assortment of blades Steve

#1035586 - 04/18/09 10:31 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rockinbbar Offline
Retired PM Staff

Loc: NM
Quote:

Here's a couple pics of Damascus #1...

Ended up doing an elk antler grip, triple spaced, with musk ox ends and silver nickle pins. I put a twist damascus guard on it. Came out really nice!

Steve,

I would be honored if you would build Barbara & myself a pair of damascus knives similar to this knife.

I'll get with you on the details. no hurry...
I'm not much of a knife man, myself, but you inspire me with your work!

Looking forward to talking with you about them!

Thanks,

Barry

#1035587 - 04/18/09 10:36 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rockinbbar]
catwhacker Offline
Cusom Call Maker

Good choice Barry. That one is as good as it gets.

Doggin says Hi!!!

#1035588 - 04/18/09 11:48 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: catwhacker]
cbosshog79 Offline
Retired Staff

Dang nice work there Steve! I agree with Barry on the damascus and wouldn't mind having one myself one of these days. Keep up the good work...

#1035589 - 04/19/09 03:26 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: cbosshog79]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Thanks guys, I truly appreciate it.

Barry, I'll send you a note soon, we'll start the dialogue. I'd LOVE to do a matched husband wife set!

AKC Labs

#1035590 - 04/20/09 01:40 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
berettaman Offline
Die Hard Member III

Barry, you made a good choice of steel! I really like that design too! You will be happy!!

#1035591 - 05/05/09 01:42 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: berettaman]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Here's Blade "W" aka Damascus #2, and a custom ordered set of Fancy Necker Knives....

"W" built with Moose Antler, Buffalo Horn, silver pins, and an acrylic inlay. It's sheathed with a custom checker pattered decorated sheath with the form fitted kydex back and a snap closure over the finger hook.

The Necker Knives, built with customer supplied Antler, Turquois, and Silver Pins. Blast finished S30V Stainless, polished grips, and custom inlayed Crown carvings special requested by the buyers. These will also be sheathed with the Kydex/Leather combination sheath, but the design will work for lanyard as well as belt carry.

Here's the double duty sheaths...

They'll hang from the neck, or clip on to the belt as crossdraw units. I'm really happy with them, they came out great!

AKC Labs

#1035592 - 05/06/09 11:47 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
tking308 Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Western KY
Steve...PM sent Todd

#1035593 - 05/07/09 12:56 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: tking308]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Got it Todd, Thanks for the note.

AKC Labs

#1035594 - 06/12/09 02:25 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: tking308]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Got these three all finished out today. All three for hunting-washington members... Blade "J" and Blade "R" are here, the damascus was a complete one-off, ground up, custom order...

Top is a Black Micarta gripped ATS34 Stainless Bird/Trout/Boning knife. Killbilly, Robodad, and I were at my dining table looking at a heavily modified, kinda shabby Case knife I sheathed for a friend of Robodad. We thought it was a neat idea, so I built one, and Killbilly just had to have it!

Middle is Teacherman's knife... Finally!!! Frank Isom damascus billet, ground by me, gripped with Moose antler and Amboyna burl, pinned with brass, and inscribed with the date of build, the birthday boy's initials, and black bear tracks. All CA stabilized. Came out really nice. What a sweet handling knife!

Bottom is Craig's three finger caping skinner. ATS34 and Jerusalem Olive Wood. Sweet little worker. It's a slight modification of my #1 knife. Sorry it took so long Craig! (The wood actually came from Israel! I thought it was in a warehouse here, but it came from the desert!)

Again, sorry for the delay, guys! I'm back in the saddle now!

AKC Labs

#1035595 - 06/13/09 09:29 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
catwhacker Offline
Cusom Call Maker

Very nice Steve!!
The Damascus knife is a great piece of work.

Jim

Doggin says Hi!!!

#1035596 - 06/15/09 11:01 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: catwhacker]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Thanks Jim! I've got your blade set aside, but haven't got to it yet. Check out the Buffalo Skinner in a thread I'm posting up now, I'm thinking of using that rubber for part of it... soemthing new, I'll practice on you!

AKC Labs

#1035597 - 06/17/09 06:07 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
catwhacker Offline
Cusom Call Maker

Thanks Steve but don't worry about me. My next day off work will be in November. Keep up the good work!!

Jim

Doggin says Hi!!!

#1035598 - 06/19/09 09:36 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: catwhacker]
knockemdown Offline
suburban redneck

Great to see you are still working your artistry Steve! I'm droolin' ova hea...

#1035599 - 07/13/09 10:28 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: knockemdown]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Here's #27, Also billed as "A"...

AKC Labs

#1035600 - 07/18/09 12:57 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Here's a LOT of 6 Frank Isom Damascus Blades.

They've all got welded mild steel tangs, ground, tapered, and then heat treated for hardening and temper. Isom damascus is some of the most beautiful steel I've ever dealt with. These will be awesome knives...

Sorry for the low quality, dining room table pics... but they're good enough to get the idea.

Let me know if you want to have a project built up on one of these!!!

Thanks guys!

AKC Labs

#1035601 - 07/19/09 06:08 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Damascus #5 is reserved...

AKC Labs

#1035602 - 07/19/09 07:56 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
catwhacker Offline
Cusom Call Maker

Good looking blanks Steve.
The number 3 blank has a nice shape.

Jim

Doggin says Hi!!!

#1332264 - 07/22/09 10:59 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
daddywpb Offline
Die Hard Member II

Steve,

Been trying to send PM. Says it's full.

Steve

#1332576 - 07/23/09 12:35 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: daddywpb]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Somehow the new software dredged up every PM I've ever had and put it back in my box!!! Says there's 675 in there!!!

I'll get to it... I'll try to reply to you now, but go over to regular e-mail...

AKC Labs

#1332971 - 07/23/09 10:04 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
daddywpb Offline
Die Hard Member II

Gone to email.

#1360758 - 08/29/09 04:39 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: daddywpb]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Dang! Over a Month since I updated this thread! Sorry!

Here's Damascus #5 as mentioned above...

Maple and Buff, going to have a matching enclosed reed and open reed when I'm done with the project, but here's the knife!

Here's ... ummmm.... I'm gonna have to refer back and edit.... Oh yeah! This one was made special to-order, so it wasn't on the thread yet...

Nickle/Maple over convex ATS34 Stainless. Sweet handling!

And here's Blade O, I did this one for the Local Game Farm where I'm gathering the Cougar recordings. (Up over 50 individual sounds now, plus a BUNCH of purring! You won't believe the sequences I'm going to make with them!)

And it stands up by itself...

It's D2 steel, with brass, and the Bison and the Sika Deer are both products from the Game farm. The inlay is mother of pearl from local oyster shells.

And here's Blade E, for the Predator Hunting Talkcast! It's going to be a giveaway there, so get with Brian Downs and find out the rules, you could win this one!

It's a super handy working blade style I've seen professional fur handling men use alot. ATS34 Stainless. The grip is bone spaced black, Amboyna Burl spaced red, and a spacer of Wooly Mammoth Ivory! It'll have a pack sheath.

Again, get with the Predator Hunting Talkcast / Brian Downs... you could win this one!

AKC Labs

#1365801 - 09/05/09 07:27 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Blade C....

Comments always welcomed, guys. Thanks!

AKC Labs

#1365856 - 09/05/09 08:34 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
Wolfwoman Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Chickaloon, Alaska
I've been looking at your knives for a few days now and I am greatly impressed!! They are not only beautiful, but from what I've read, serviceable as well! A great combination!

I dare not ask any prices right now with winter coming on because I know i can't afford it right now, but I do have a question; do you ever make any with an Ulu type shape to them? Not necessarily an ulu BUT maybe something similar with an open handle? I'm sure I'm not making myself clear, so I'll have to draw a picture and get back with you!

#1365862 - 09/05/09 08:39 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
daddywpb Offline
Die Hard Member II

Very nice! I like brass bolsters. What kind of wood is that?

#1365984 - 09/05/09 11:33 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: daddywpb]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

That one is nickle bolsters and Desert Ironwood, Steve.

Wolfwoman, I've made one Ulu on production steel, never ground my own Ulu steel. If I did, I'd definately be interested in doing something unique and custom, as I'm not a big traditional Ulu fan.

(I actually think I'm following you, but I'll wait for your pic, so as to not skew your creativity with my own!)

AKC Labs

#1365999 - 09/05/09 11:50 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
Wolfwoman Offline
Seasoned Member

I love using the Ulu, but I am looking for more finger space and a more comfy grip than the traditional types. Open blade/handle on one side, and a grip that fits the fingers and palm. I want a blade that I don't have to sharpen every 2 minutes when fleshing a bear or a moose hide!!

This is really bad, but I think you get the jist of it... the handle needs to be larger... better, but... well you tell me!

#1366010 - 09/06/09 12:07 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: Wolfwoman]
Hyperwrx Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Arizona
Steve,
I come into your threads for the sole purpose of just looking at your knives. They are the most incredible works of art I have seen. One day I will purchase one. Thank you for posting them.
--------------------------
Briarpatch Cage Traps
Traps You Can Count On!

#1366030 - 09/06/09 12:42 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: Hyperwrx]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Thanks Scott... I really appreciate it... keeps me goin'!

Wolfwoman, real similar to my thoughts, only I was thinking a little more lower left, and the handle would come 'round and connect to the blade too, maybe even in a smooth transition down to the tip, rather than another leg straight down. (There would be a definate tip and definate heel.)

As an Ulu user, tell me how many inches of cutting edge is too little, enough, alot, and too much????

Edited by rainshadow1 (09/06/09 12:43 AM)

AKC Labs

#1366033 - 09/06/09 12:51 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
Wolfwoman Offline
Seasoned Member

I would say right about 6" of edge is a good medium, though if I have a different handle, less might be ok... no less than 4" though I would think. And probably no more than 7".

More like this? But I still think my handle is too short...

Edited by Wolfwoman (09/06/09 12:52 AM)

#1366036 - 09/06/09 01:03 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: Wolfwoman]
Wolfwoman Offline
Seasoned Member

I do not like this style at all...

And I think I'm trying to modify this one a little...

And this is what style I currently use...

#1366061 - 09/06/09 02:01 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: Wolfwoman]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

I was thinking like this, only with some subtle finger contours. I like yours though, with only one upright. Might be worth pursuing...

AKC Labs

#1366094 - 09/06/09 08:12 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: Hyperwrx]
OldTurtle Offline

Loc: East Central FL
Steve, I see you are still turning out those "works of art".

The modifications to the "3 Fingered Skinner" are really interesting... I know that #1 (which I own laugh ) really has a great feel and the modified angle of the blade/handle should make it even more so..

I'm financially stuck for a while..but you have created beautiful pieces and there are a couple I will be contacting you about in the not too distant future..

Keep stroking, my friend..

#1366221 - 09/06/09 12:26 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: OldTurtle]
Wolfwoman Offline
Seasoned Member

Steve, I don't like my hand being 'trapped' in the hole, that's why I was trying to come up with something that is still similar to the Ulu shape but more able to get a grip on.

I'll try and refine my drawing a bit more today if I have the time. No hurries on this at all, as I said there won't be any extra money til summer again AND by the time you were to make it and get it to me, hunting season will be done here wink It just gives more time to get it right!

#1366395 - 09/06/09 04:52 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: Wolfwoman]
Wolfwoman Offline
Seasoned Member

Ok after much futzing around and erasing, this is what I think I'm looking for.

I don't want the handle to have any edges on the top... was looking for rounded, like an antler beam would be, but I also want it smooth - no bumpies anywhere on it. It also needs to have at least a 5" circumference at mid point, I can't stand a knife with a skinny handle!!

Thoughts?

#1366964 - 09/07/09 01:16 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: Wolfwoman]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

I'll go to PM, wolfwoman... stretching the thread out here....

AKC Labs

#1366966 - 09/07/09 01:21 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
Wolfwoman Offline
Seasoned Member

Sounds good! Thanks!

#1373627 - 09/17/09 02:18 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: Wolfwoman]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Steve, almost there!

AKC Labs

#1377971 - 09/24/09 07:00 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
mark shubert Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Las Vegas NM
Steve, what are you doing (or did you do) with #31?
Mark

#1378045 - 09/24/09 08:30 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: mark shubert]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Hmmm... how'd I miss posting that one?!?!?

It's gone...

Love that Coffin handle boot style. This one was purpleheart with hickory pins. Sweet handling.

I'd be happy to make another in a similar style, I really enjoy the coffin handle style.

Let me know...

AKC Labs

#1402836 - 10/29/09 05:20 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

I thought some of you (One of you in particular) might be interested in seeing how the Ulu turned out!

It's ATS34 Stainless, the grip is Moose Antler with Leopardwood bolsters. Brass pinned.

I've got more steel!!!

AKC Labs

#1402845 - 10/29/09 05:40 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
cbosshog79 Offline
Retired Staff

Very cool work Steve! It was kinda fun watching that one come together with the drawings being bounced back and forth...

#1402850 - 10/29/09 05:52 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: cbosshog79]
deerhunterjj Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Eldorado,kansas
nice work steve. Never seen anything like that looks like something seen off of halloween movies. What are they used for?

#1402862 - 10/29/09 06:05 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: deerhunterjj]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

It's an Eskimo design, it came about as a fleshng and skinning blade, but it's been incorporated into lots of chores, including the kitchen!

AKC Labs

#1403176 - 10/29/09 11:23 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
deerhunterjj Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Eldorado,kansas
Ok makes since thanks for the explanation steve mighty fine work

#1403516 - 10/30/09 12:55 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: deerhunterjj]
Wolfwoman Offline
Seasoned Member

LOVE IT!!! Thank you much!! Can't WAIT to try it out... Maybe on that bear in the freezer wink

#1407620 - 11/04/09 06:54 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: Wolfwoman]
Wolfwoman Offline
Seasoned Member

It's an amazing blade!! I got it today and love it and can't wait to try it out. Thank you!!

Same pic, cropped and enhanced smile

#1411455 - 11/09/09 10:10 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: Wolfwoman]
sandhillshunter Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Nebraska
Steve, pm sent your way!

#1450808 - 12/20/09 07:03 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: sandhillshunter]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Current Stock of Blade Blanks...

Stainless!

2 - 440C Production Fillet Blanks
1 - 440C Production Ulu blank
Bottom Left is a 440C handmade blank.
The rest are ATS34 Handmade Blanks.

Carbon!

A couple Damascus, the rest are D2.

I'll be back thoughout this week updating this thread. I must have 8 knives I've built from the previous available blanks. I've fallen WAY behind updating you with new Pictures!

Thanks Guys!

AKC Labs

#1453080 - 12/22/09 02:54 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

I'm pretty sure these were in the old photos, if I remeber whichunits they were I'll identify them as such. (The current stock is above, in the cutlery drawer, and getting mighty sparce!)

This one wasn't in this thead as a blank, but how can i NOT post it?!?!?

This one was made as a little brother to a listed blade that I did...

Continued...

AKC Labs

#1453085 - 12/22/09 02:57 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

AKC Labs

#1453250 - 12/22/09 06:10 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
cbosshog79 Offline
Retired Staff

Great looking stuff Steve!

#1487927 - 01/17/10 11:27 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
Juanjo Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: TEXAS
Originally Posted By: rainshadow1
Steve, almost there!

That is one attractive combo.. thumbup

-Juan

"If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize." -The Greatest

#1499453 - 01/26/10 02:05 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: Juanjo]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Thanks Juanjo!

Ok, the previous available blade posts and pics are going to be updated below...

THIS it the latest, and will include Everything, Past and Present!

I've come up with a new numbering system:

All my hold over 2009 blades start with "09".

From now on new batches of blades will start with the month/year of their birth.

For instance, this batch I'm posting now, they all start with "1-10..."

Here goes...

Continued...

AKC Labs

#1499454 - 01/26/10 02:06 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Traded

AKC Labs

#1499456 - 01/26/10 02:06 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

AKC Labs

#1499458 - 01/26/10 02:06 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

AKC Labs

#1499491 - 01/26/10 02:32 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

More coming! I have a new batch of budget blades, different sawmill bandsaw steel (modern.) I ground them into a variety of boning knives! I need to test the HT before I officially post them though...

All "S" blades are ATS34 Stainless - - Except for "09-S1" which is 440C stainless. All "D" blades are D2 tool steel.

All these are fresh out of heat treat, so they are a little rough looking, but hopefully by now I've shown you how they transform!

Thanks for looking and following my progress, guys!

AKC Labs

#1500500 - 01/27/10 02:01 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Ok, I didn't know the exact alloy of these new budget blades, so I had to take my best guess with the heat treat recipe.... Success!!!

I got a test piece to bend to 90 degrees (Yes, that's all the way over!) and come back with no noticable change! (No bending, no breaking, no cracking...) It's thin steel (.073) but that's still fantastic! I'm tickled!

So here they are!

Budget Bandsaw Boning Blades!

These are thinner, as I said (.073), they're carbon, they're from modern Sawmill Bandsaw steel, and they're going to cut like nobody's business!!!

They will build cheaper, so let me know if you want to do one!

AKC Labs

#1500576 - 01/27/10 08:06 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
catwhacker Offline
Cusom Call Maker

Good looking batch of blades Steve. Looks like you have a bunch of work to do.

Jim

Doggin says Hi!!!

#1500745 - 01/27/10 12:05 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: catwhacker]
mikeymike Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: northern utah county, utah
is that b-7 a fillet knife or have you made a fillet knife??

#1500778 - 01/27/10 12:33 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: mikeymike]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Mikeymike, B7 is the same dimension as a fillet knife. It's slightly stiffer, but still has some good flexibility. All of these new B series are primarily designed as boning knives, but as you know, those dimensions can be used in a LOT of different ways. It'd fillet like nobody's business!

AKC Labs

#1501090 - 01/27/10 05:12 PM Re: Future Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: berettaman]
orrbull48 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Amarillo Texas
im interested in one

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself"
~D.H. Lawrence

"invisible souls leave 308 holes"

#1509034 - 02/02/10 02:09 AM Re: Future Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: orrbull48]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

In contact with orrbull48...

Ok, here's some more D2 Blades available for Build...

AKC Labs

#1509036 - 02/02/10 02:18 AM Available Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

And here's some more Budget Bandsaw Blades available for Build...

AKC Labs

#1509122 - 02/02/10 08:01 AM Re: Available Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
carvercalls Offline
Sponsor/Retired PM Staff

That's a great batch of Blades Steve!! Man you've been busy thumbup I always like seeing your completed work, I hope when you get them done you show us your art thumbup I get slobber on my key board every time you do.. You were missed at the P/M hunt. I hope you can make it next year..

#1509354 - 02/02/10 11:43 AM Re: Available Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: carvercalls]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

I wish I could have made it this year, Kerry. Money wasn't there. (It was in Disneyland and Seaworld where I'd already spent it!) Thanks.

AKC Labs

#1515356 - 02/06/10 06:33 PM Re: Available Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Here's a damascus trailing point I just finished (actually had to unpack it and hurry-up photograph it since I forgot!) It's sold.

And a small Hand Axe, made from 8670 Tool Steel with a differential temper (the cutting edge is harder than the rest of the hatchet.)

AKC Labs

#1515477 - 02/06/10 07:48 PM Re: Available Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
Mike2 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Ohio
I like D-16 but some of my money was already with Steve when he went to Disney. lol

Mike

#1517239 - 02/07/10 09:55 PM Re: Available Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: Mike2]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

1-10-B3, and 1-10-B4 are SOLD!

AKC Labs

#1591929 - 05/01/10 01:04 PM Re: Available Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

This was 1-10-S12...

This was 09-DM2 with a duck call....

Here's a batch of 2 B's and an 09-S...

Here's 09-DM1 with a deer grunt....

There are a few more, I'll get them up as I am able....

AKC Labs

#1591978 - 05/01/10 03:26 PM Re: Available Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
mtcurman Offline
Retired Moderator

Loc: Montana
drool drool drool

#1702957 - 10/26/10 09:04 AM Re: Available Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: mtcurman]
The Virginian Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Spotsylvania, VA
Stunning work!

Eric

NRA Life Member

#1704325 - 10/28/10 01:07 AM Re: Available Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: The Virginian]
the noobie Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Idaho
This is my first time ever seeing your work and all i can say is WOW!! thumbup

#1704924 - 10/29/10 12:33 AM Re: Available Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: the noobie]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Thanks guys! Really appreciated.

Looks like I'm going to be able to come up for air soon...

(Actually, 4 knife orders on the pegs, plus two calls, and it only LOOKS like I'm going to get back to the crafting work! But I am tryin', I promise!)

AKC Labs

#1705358 - 10/29/10 07:00 PM Re: Available Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
daddywpb Offline
Die Hard Member II

Real nice stuff Steve, as usual.

#1762534 - 12/23/10 11:23 AM Re: Available Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: daddywpb]
SeanE Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Southern Illinois
Truly unbelievable! The craftsmanship on these knives is outstanding! I love the idea of a knife and matching call set! Beautiful work!

#1763588 - 12/24/10 03:29 AM Re: Available Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: SeanE]
Kracker Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Clackamas Oregon
Do you sell just the unpollished blades no handles?

#1807121 - 01/21/11 09:07 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: rainshadow1]
WvYotehunter65 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: West Virginia
sweet blade

#1822674 - 01/31/11 11:52 AM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: WvYotehunter65]
FC_Bryan Offline

Loc: Wyoming/Colorado
PMed

#1825411 - 02/01/11 09:23 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: FC_Bryan]
tcprohunter Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Missouri
Very nice work indeed

#2026267 - 10/24/11 02:05 PM Re: AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives! [Re: tcprohunter]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Getting back into it soon, guys. Life has stepped in in a big bad way, working it out but it's taking time. Thanks for the comments. I'll be continuing this thread with a posting of blade blanks for build/sale. Within a month...

AKC Labs

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >

© Predator Mastersô, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.