AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives!

rainshadow1

Custom Call Maker
WooHoo!!! (Several posts below.)

Here's 4 of my blades that are ready to go. I'm pretty pleased with them.

These are all Peerless 8670 Tool Steel, from 1/4" stock. Heat Treated and Cryo-Cycled by Gene Martin, Provision Forge. Awesome heavy steel, and treated by a consumate professional bladesmith. They're as good as they come!

#8 and #11 are extremely tapered tangs, 12 and 17 are slightly tapered, only a little. They're all full tang style knives.

They're finished by hand to 400, ready to either hand finish to 600 or 1000, or to blast, or to hand finish to 600 then buff to a mirror finish.

You can see my thoughts in the pin hole patterns when I built them, but I'm not limited to those if the grip material dictates otherwise.

Here's a pic...

DSC03807.jpg

Top to bottom...

#17, (SOLD PF) 9" overall, 4" blade. Very deep hollow grind on this one. Big grip.

#8, (SOLD PF) 8 3/4" overall, 4 1/4" blade. Lots of blade, super forward balance.

#12, (SOLD PF) 8 1/4" overall, 3 1/2" blade. Coffin handled single edged boot style pick.

#11, 7 1/2" overall, 3" blade. Real ergie handling skinner.

I'll be building these out in a while, I have several ahead of them that are pre-sold.

If you're interested in having one of these built to your own specs, just contact me, I'll make it the way you want it!

Thanks guys!!

Steve those are quality looking blades. What kind of steel is the 8670 your using? I've been out of the knife making thing for quite a while and don't know that one.

Thanks Steve. I was using sawmill planer blades years ago, but had to temper them back so they weren't so brittle. Right now I'm carrying a knife made by a fella in Montana. His name was Rob Simonich. He passed on a couple of years ago in a terrible car wreck. His wife is still running a semi-custom knife business.

Knife1.jpg

Simonich2.jpg

I worked in sawmills around here for a bunch of years when I was a young guy. They ground the planer blades down til they got to thin to run and then just threw them away. Great steel for knives. Sadly most all of our mills are history now.

Sweet knife, Bob. I have about 150 planer blades. They're M2HSS, I belt ground one without having it annealed, it ate about 7 belts! (Look at the Maple gripped knife on my gallery page up near the top, my 6th grind.) I cold ground 3 more in a water bathed stone wheel. Took hours. Now, I have to have them annealed or I'm just not going to mess with them anymore. They're too hard on me and my equipment!

Here's 3 more, ready to build...

These are from an antique sawmill bandsaw blade, probably from the 50's. They're 1/8" thick. Probably L6, but I'm still researching. They're also Treated and hardened by Gene Martin, Provision forge.

DSC03808.jpg

#5, 8 1/4" overall, 3 1/2" blade. Short Hunter, real grippy.

#4, (SOLD!) 9" overall, 4 1/2" blade. False edge on the spine, kitchen or camp style knife.

#3, (SOLD!) 8 1/4" overall, 3 3/4" blade. Lite utility style, nice handling.

These knives are thinner and more precise handling than the 8670. They'll be a little bit cheaper. They can grip up nice or basic.

Contact me if you want to reserve one!

(I have 3 1095 blades and 2 more 8670 blades that I'm still cleaning up and rubbing out!)

Oh, hey! I forgot about this one.

This little 3 finger knife was custom ordered with every i dotted and every t crossed. So, just to be sure, I built 2! He took #14.

DSC03811.jpg

DSC03812.jpg

#15 is SOLD! 6" overall, 2 3/4" blade, air hardened A2 tool steel. Convex grind.

The knife built is almost identical, built with silver pins, stainless mosaic pins and lanyard tube, and Exhibition grade desert ironwood. (I took 2 pictures because this is such an awesome piece of wood! I HAVE MORE OF IT TOO!!!) Bookmatched scales, but there's so much figure you can hardly tell! Black carbon spacers. Hand rubbed 600 grit finish.

Just beautiful work Steve. I've got some ironwood around here I've been thinking of using for a set of grips on my Taurus Ultra-light snubby. My father in law is a amature wood worker and he picks a lot of ironwood up when he winters in Arizona. He's given me several bunches of his scraps.

Yup I ran into the same problem with the planer blades. You've got to anneal them before grinding then temper them back to a reasonable hardness. I never beat one into shape, but always wanted to try forging one. I like small knives with 3.5 inch or under blades.

I ran a small gunsmith shop for a bunch of years and the knife making was just a hobby for me though I did sell a few. I'm not near the artist you are.

I used to make steak knife sets out of the big band saw blades. There was always a lot of that around as we would brake one once in a while and it was easy to grind without annealing.

I sure appreciate good work, thanks for the pix.

Wow Steve it really turned out nice!! Can't wait to get my hands on it!! I want you to know I appreciate you making me the custom from a pic.

Hope it works out right, berettaman! It's as pictured, only with the mods you asked for. It's sharpened sticky at every molecule of the edge! (400 belt until it pulled a real even foil along the whole edge, then blended and stropped on the oiled 600 paper, then finished with the steel.) Careful with that pig sticker!!!

Thanks for the fun project!

#3 is spoken for.
#4 also.
#8 is back up again....

Gary, no only is Desert Ironwood beautiful it is extremely stable which is also important to me. I've got a couple of custom knives done up in that wood that are 35 years old and have not checked or anything and still as beautiful as the day I got them. I rub teak oil on all my handles sometimes but really not necessary with the ironwood.

More shuffling, now 11 is back up and 17 is sold.

I'm going out to clean up 3 1095 blades, I'll post them later today if possible.

Ok, here's 3 blades in 1095. Heat treated and Cryo-Cycled by Gene Martin, Provision Forge. 3/16" thick, slightly tapered tangs...

DSC03872.jpg

#18, (SOLD PF) 8 1/2" overall, 3 1/2" cutting edge. Deep skinner.

#10, (SOLD PF) 9" overall, 4 1/2 cutting edge, single edged boot.

#9, (PULLED to be built to spec...) 8 1/2" overall, 4" cutting edge, traditional multi-purpose.

Here's #3....

DSC03879.jpg

DSC03881.jpg

Here's #4....

DSC03878.jpg

DSC03880.jpg

Both were custom gripped to the buyer's specifications. #3 has a matching enclosed reed echo chamber bleat/bawl call.

Back