Loads for 68 gr Hornady BTHP in .223 Rem

not the 68 Hornady, but I know 25 gr of Varget works good with a 69 Sierra Match HP in several of my buddie's rifles. I'd start at 24 gr and work up in your rifle. I think you'll find a sweet spot between there and max load.

Bownut

I do, I will have to look up the load, but I use it in my AR-15 3 groove 1 in 8" Lilja and my Sako Vixen 223's. I have gotten excellent groups with it. The AR .500 @ 100 Meters, and .75 for the Vixen. I will look up my data and and post it if you want it. I do remember that they were maximum loads though.

Thanks, I would appreciate any info you can provide. I'm just looking for loads and powders that others have found successful. I'm familiar with working up to max loads and that my own results may vary. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I shoot them occasionally using Lapua brass Win SRP 23.7 grs of Varget 2800 fps out of my Savage M 10 Predator groups between .300 and .400 for five shots at 100 yds.

Honestly, out of the 6 223's that I own, NONE of them shoot the 68 gr Hornady bullets. They do ok, but nothing to write home about.

The 69 gr Sierra or Nosler bullets are at or under 1/2 MOA at whatever distance you are shooting.

A load that has proven to be very accurate for me with the 68 gr. BTHP is using 25 grains of Varget powder in Win. Brass, Fed. SR primers, and a COL of 2.27". It chronographed at an average 2950 fps out of my Savage Model 12FV with a 26" barrel (1 in 9 twist). Although it groups better for me than the 60 gr. V-max...I found the v-max to be much better in performance on Groundhogs.

Sorry it took so long, I had to leave town on business. My load for the 68 gr Hornady is 25.5 gr Varget, CCI BR-4 primer, Winchester new unfired cases, the velocity is 3,025 fps average. SD is 14 fps. I shoot at 4,800 feet elevation, and this is a winter load for me. I load them to the maximum length that the AR-15 mags allow. The 69 Gr Sierra will out shoot these by about .2" at 100 meters.The firearm is an custom AR-15 with a Lilja 25" 3 groove 1-8" twist barrel.

Finally got around to testing some loads. Looks to be some promise here:

6 shots x 68 gr Hornady BTHP w/25.9 gr Varget

223TikkaT3LH_68HornadyBTHP_259Varge.jpg

6 shots x 68 gr Hornady BTHP w/25.0 gr W748

223TikkaT3LH_68HornadyBTHP_25W748_0.jpg

The 68gr otm's that I've tested liked only Varget loaded to 26grs. It seems to choke a bit with RL-15. Never got to try TAC though.

I picked up a tikka t3 yesterday and I am in the process of sighting in the 223 with 68hpbt's. I found out that seating the bullets .010 off the lands does not work in the clip. what is the col that you tikka shooters are using? thanks spike

Quote:
Any suggested loads? Firestick is Tikka T3 Lite Stainless.

My dad's Tikka Master Sporter .223 showed a preference for 40gr ballistic tips according to the former owner, and would shoot .25" groups with handloads. My dad never worked a load up for it as far as I know though. I have no idea what the barrel twist is though. Do you know the twist on yours?

Sporters are 1:14 twist. Varmint models are 1:8.
I seat my bullets long, I can only fit 3 bullets into the mag on an angle. It gives me a little jam factor and they feed ok too.

Quote:
Sporters are 1:14 twist. Varmint models are 1:8.
I seat my bullets long, I can only fit 3 bullets into the mag on an angle. It gives me a little jam factor and they feed ok too.

With a 1-8 twist, have you given something like the 75gr OTM rounds a look? They offer better terminals and a higher BC for long range shooting when compared to the 68gr rounds.

Usually I see a lot more 69gr SMK's than I do 68gr Hornady rounds talked about when it comes to working up a precision load. Why the interest in the 68gr?

This bullet is a bit of a challenge to load because I get a ring around the bullet where the seater push's it into the case using a .223 RCBS Competition seater or my Lyman seater. I finally found that my .243 Competition seater will seat these without damage. That said I have found excellent results using 25.6 gr. RL15 and Federal Match primer's. First I measure all the bullets for length. Than I seat them measuring off the ogive to 1.853 using a Stoney Point Comperator than I stone the tip and measure total OAL length 2.260 (Mag Length)results are well under .500 at 100 Yards. And last Saturday I had a DragonFly land on the backstop at 100 yards, aiming between the wings he is evermore burned into my memory and cardboard. Rifle Stag Model 6L 1 in 8" twist. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I went through a box of these last summer with only what I would call fairly good success. Best five shot groups went just under 1 inch with 25.5 grains of Varget. I was using a 24 in RRA Varminter with a 1/8 twist barrel. I had much better results using 69 grain MatchKings with the several powders I tried. The 60 grain V-Max and the 65 grain Sierra Game Kings did so well that I have not gone back to try any more of the Hornady 68 grain yet.

I'm going to revisit this bullet with some of the suggested loads. Thanks for the interesting post.

Quote:
I picked up a tikka t3 yesterday and I am in the process of sighting in the 223 with 68hpbt's. I found out that seating the bullets .010 off the lands does not work in the clip. what is the col that you tikka shooters are using? thanks spike

I Have found that My Tikka in 1-8 twist likes the COL longer than some. I use 2.290- 2.300. at 2.300 they barely fit into the Magazine. Good luck with the Tikka !

Back