AR-15 Sling for Hunting

Jason_L

What are you guys currently using for slings on your AR-15's for predator hunting?

A bunch of options out there. Anything jump out as better than the rest in your opinion?

Tactical slings better than the regular hunting types?

I have a 3 point on my varment rifle 243WSSM w/24" heavy barrel, really need the extra support when walking from stand to stand with that ten pound bugger. My M4gerey is a 7.5 pound CAR in 458 Socom it has a single point on it with a slight mod. I attached a piece of nylon strap to my belt this wraps around the upper handguard and attaches with velcro this keeps the rifle from flopping around when walking and don't require me to use a hand to hold it when navigateing brush of climbing hills.

Contact/pm, IdahoDawgBustr[custom sling maker on here]. He makes custom slings, very talented @ what he does, I might add.

Yeah I have two guns that I need slings for currently just FYI:

RRA .223 Coyote Gun 20 inch
RRA .458 SOCOM Hog/Brush 16 inch

I pick up the wide-pad K/Wal-Mart style and customize them myself by adding a 1" Fastex snap, that adjusts just like a backpack waist buckle. Super-simple to do once u look it over, and adds a lot of carrying flexibility to your system. Just remember to sew the end of the loose webbing over onto itself in case it slips so it doesn't come all the way out. I've never seen 1 slip yet though.

Quote:
What are you guys currently using for slings on your AR-15's for predator hunting?

A bunch of options out there. Anything jump out as better than the rest in your opinion?

I like the Boyt 1 1/4" sling pictured below, unfortunately, the gunshop where I purchased it is no longer in business and I haven't found them anywhere else.

IMG_2527.jpg

I have this one installed upside down since I do not shoot prone, so have no need for the loop sling. Works fine as a hasty sling as it is and looped over the sticks keeps rifle from slipping if I need both hands to use a hand call. Should I ever need a loop sling, it is a simple matter w/QD swivels to reverse it. The sling is easily adjusted for length by slipping buckle one way or the other yet holds where you put it.

IMG_2528.jpg

Murray Leather Co., P. O. Box 373, Aledo, Tx. 76008 makes a very nice one like the Boyt but it is stitched to the detachable sling swivels instead of using the threaded rivets (can't remember proper name for these but they are used by saddlemakers). The threaded rivets allow you to use your own swivels so the Boyt was more economical.

Regards,
hm

This 3 point tactical sling is the one I liked best because I could walk to and from stands with my AR hands free and horizontal across my chest.

AR-151x.jpg

In order to shave a few ounces of weight from my rifle I switched to this Dual Bungee single point sling which allows me to carry my AR verticle along my left side for quick access when I need it. This type of sling does not work with an A2 stock however.

Acog3x.jpg

The 3 point sling is my favorite but the Dual Bungee is lighter and looks cooler.

I have the Quake Claw on three of my rifles and love them all. My AR has a black one. They grip the shoulder very where and stay ut while walking. Natchez has about the best price on them.

peace.
unloaded

I went ahead and ordered a tan Larue Padded Sling today. I wll let you know what I think once it arrives. Looks like a good sling though.

Back