Anyone have a Browning with the BOSS system

My dad has one on his 300wm, im not shur if it douse any thng or not. Ill ask him whin he gets home.

GJ

Quote:
I'm looking to buy a new gun and was just wondering about there BOSS system and if it works like they says it does

Joe

They do work as advertised. I have them on my Brownings. The recoil is less, but hold onto your ear drums - they do make quite a bit of noise and EVERYONE at the range will wish you were not there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Boss does work. I have the Boss on my Browning 30-06 SS A-Bolt. I just didn't like the noise from the break and since the 30-06 is a pu$$y cat when it comes to recoil i changed the ported brake to the CR version without the ports, shoot the same accuracy wise but with conventional noise and recoil. Every load i have tried has been in the 1/2 to 1 inch groups. My opinion it works extremely well. Photo taken before changing to CR

abolt3.jpg

I have had them on a Browning A-Bolts:

300 Win Mag
7 Mag
30/06

I have worked with a Browning Safari Grade Semi-Autos on:

7 mag
30/06

In all guns, the the loads were able to be dialed into shooting less than 1/2" groups.

They are quite impressive in accuracy to say the least.

If you even have the slightest inkling that you may want one of these Boss Systems, you will need to wear a set of electronic ear muffs when you are hunting or suffer hearing damage.

I have been using the Peltor Tac-6 since they first came out and would never go to the woods without them since my hearing is ehanaced but not so loud that it is too loud.

Hartshot, Brownells sells a device similar to the Boss system and I saw a guy at the range raving at how good it was.

The Boss systems can be had with no holes for venting gas(recoil reduction) and with the Holes (muzzle break).

Many of the gunsmiths out there will Boo Hoo the Boss system even though they have never tried it, so be prepared.

Most custom guns can be "tweeked" to shoot a very accurate load, while you get to choose a factory load and dial it in to shoot bug holes. For example, in my Dad's Browning A Bolt with the Boss, I loaded a max load of R#25 with a 154g Hornady with a Win Mag primer at 3200 fps out of this particular rifle and "tuned" the load to shoot 3/8" groups at 100 and 1 1/2" at 400 yards...not bad for a factory rifle with nothing done to it but a trigger job.

Hartshot, I believe all they have to do is thread the outside of the end of the barrel. All it is, is a tunable muzzle break.
By turning it you either lengthen or shorten the overall length of the barrel, and its weighted, the idea of the B.O.S.S system is to tune it to the load you are using so that when the bullet leaves the end of the barrel there is no vibration in the barrel, hence better accuracy. And they reduce recoil! Yes they work very well, if you spend the time to dial them in! Down side is they are [beeep] on your ears! VERY LOUD! Looks Pretty cool shooting them at night!

B.O.S.S. stands for....
Ballistic Optimizing Shooting System.

Winchester use to offer the same system, not sure if they still do or not?

The whole purpose of the BOSS is to let you adjust the rifle to the load instead of the load to the rifle. Just get the original BOSS and forget the gunsmith copies, lot less trouble.

Most gunsmiths will have trouble doing it. On a regular brake you might use like a 14 thread but that is too coarse for the boss. I don't remember but I think Browning uses a 28 thread tap. Even then, a quarter turn might take you past the sweet spot. But you tune the brake not the load. Have a couple of 300wm w/boss. Set up the chrono and tried different powders until I got the velocity up to 3200fps with a 180 gameking. Them loaded 50 rounds and went to the range. On the 4th adjustment(starting at 3 inches) the 3 shot group was less than 1/4 inch. Taken 2 elk with one gun in two shots. 6oo yds last year running and the last was 552 yds this year laying down. They are the only way to go if you want hunting accuracy IMO.
Dave

The BOSS performs a seconday duty as a muzzlebrake, it's primary duty being tuning barrel vibrations to match a specific load.

A muzzlebrake, OTOH, does not affect accuracy to any degree at all. Unless improperly installed.

The BOSS system works. Very well. I wish it was an aftermarket item. I'd put one on every rifle I own.

Mike

Thanks for all the good info on the BOSS system guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Now i'm going to try and find one in .223 or 22-250 I have found it in .223wssm if I cant find one in .223 or 22-250 I will buy the .223wssm from what I can tell it's realy close to the 22-250 but cost more to shoot.

Joe

Quote:
Thanks for all the good info on the BOSS system guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Now i'm going to try and find one in .223 or 22-250 I have found it in .223wssm if I cant find one in .223 or 22-250 I will buy the .223wssm from what I can tell it's realy close to the 22-250 but cost more to shoot.

Joe

You might want to search ther back posts for 223 WSSM.

There have been a lot of complaints about it, and few raves.

I had a Browning Boss, before I had it changed to a Tactical.20. I got the .223 to shoot a half inch group. I had to get the quieter weight. The only thing that disappointed me was the short barrel, it says it was a 22" barrel, it looked more like 20" to me. I lost velosity out to the 300yd mark. It lost 20-30yds, over a 24" 788. T.20

Back