Shaping up to be another good year

DAA

Administrator
Staff member
Me and my partner spent yesterday out cruising the desert. Poked around a ghost town and a few old mines with our metal detectors, but mostly just drove around. We did stop and make a few stands in the morning, too, just for grins.

The desert is in great shape, almost unbelievably green still, for this late in the summer. We saw jack rabbits over a wide area, including some places we don't remember seeing them last year. I think the long cool wet spring did the bunnies good, which ought to do the coyotes good.

As for the coyotes themselves... We called in five, in three stands (3 YoY and 2 old ones). We weren't even carrying rifles, so they were in no danger, but all the signs are pointing towards another good calling season this year.

I can't wait!

- DAA

Sounds like fun Dave. I need to get off my butt and do some scouting too.

It has been a little cooler summer than usual. Don't know if it's the same out your way.

Did you guys find anything interesting with the metal detectors? Always wanted one of those.

Glad to hear things are looking promising. Will be looking forward to seeing some great stories when the bullets start to fly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good hunting

I've been out every chance i get to do some locateing and calling coyotes for pic's and i would also agree its going to be a good season this year for coyotes and maybe a few Red fox. August is here finally with just three more month's to go... "Are we ready"

Curt, we didn't find anything worth mentioning with the detectors this time. In fact, we struck out so badly on the detecting, that we stopped and detected at a park in Tooele on the way home and picked up a couple dollars worth of change just to be able to say we found something worth keeping for the day, LOL!

- DAA

Anything that sends you home with extra money in the pocket is a heck of a good hobby. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Need to get one of those someday.

I went to a wedding yesterday. I saw so many deer I lost count. Lots of jack rabbits, a coon, a coyote, a red fox and a 340" bull. Sheese! I'm getting old. Seeing all the animals is my first thought, not the hotties that were at the wedding.

Quote:
Sheese! I'm getting old. Seeing all the animals is my first thought, not the hotties that were at the wedding.

Weasel, you obviously don't need me to confirm it for you, but "yup", you are! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Curt, the metal detector is a lot of fun, I think it's a great hobby. Me and Tim are always on the lookout for new places to detect when we are out and about on our hunts. We usually get out one evening a week to a local park or somewhere like that. My six year old Daughter loves to come with, which is a big time bonus for me. So far this summer I've found three nice rings, one heavy silver mens ring, one really nice sterling silver ladies ring with an opal mounted in it, and one small thin 10k gold band. Plus a decent watch, and a few old odds and ends worth adding to my "interesting junk" collection. Plus all the coins, of course. The cool part is always thinking maybe the next target I dig up just might be silver or gold, and sometimes it is!

- DAA

Curt, I think Whites is a real good brand - I use a Whites XLT. There are several good makers though. Tim uses a Tesoro Vaquero. It's a way different kind of machine than mine, but equally as good. I don't think either one will find a target that the other one won't. My Whites has a ton of bells and whistles, and about 40 different settings you can adjust using a keypad and LCD screen. Tim's Tesoro only has about 4 adjustments, all with good old fashioned knobs, and no display. There's good and bad to both, and most of it is just personal preference. Just two very different machines, but like I say, they both work equally well.

Whites makes some models that also have just a few knobs to adjust. I might pick one up one of these days, probably a MXT since it has a higher frequency than my XLT, which is better for gold. Whites real strong suit is target ID. I think they do that better than anyone. Tesoros strong suit is making light weight, easy to use machines that give real good depth and they tend to work better on small gold than a lot of others.

- DAA

Dave, I can't help but think of Ecallers when I read your post about metal detectors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

OH NOoooo.........does this mean we are going to have metal detector battles now? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I spent a little time looking some of them over after reading your post Dave. Both the MXT and XLT sound like real good units. Maybe when I get done with my firearm obsession this year I can invest in one of those babies. I've always wanted to hit some of the old homesteads around here. Of course I'll bet somebody had that idea before me and beat me to it at most of them. lol! Sorry to take your thread down the metal detector tangent. They have always intrigued me though.

Weasel, don't even joke about that. You will get all the Tesoro and White "leg humpers" all fired up. lol!

Good hunting

I used a Tesoro for months and never found a thing. First time out with my Garrett I found over a million dollars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I went out camping with the wife a few weeks ago and heard a bunch of coyotes but had to cut our trip short because of the swarms of horseflies. I got bit at least a dozen times and I was dripping with repellant. Dirty buggers.

Dave, it's good to hear you're seeing good rabbit numbers. Should make for a fun season.

My nine-year-old had been wanting a metal detector and we got him one this past Christmas. It was a cheap Cabelas kid version for something like $50. He took it out in the yard Christmas morning an found a couple coins and a matchbox car. He was really excited and I was kinda shocked the thing worked.

This spring, he was again out working the yard (our yard started to look like we were infested with gophers) and he found a ring. When he brought it in to show me, I thought it looked very familiar. After a bit of clean-up I recognized the ring as my own wedding ring that I had lost 17 years-ago when we moved into our house! I never wear a ring due to my work and it must have fallen out during the move. My son was on cloud nine. I gave him a finders fee and a pat on the back.

Back