How do u use your calls?

musky hunter

Hi, right now i bought 4 calls. I waas wondering if there is a specific order you use your calls or a process that you use.

Here are my calls

Burnham Bros. Mini Squeal S4
Burnham Bros. Long Range Call c3
K&H Barker Howler
k&H Rodent Squeker

The first thing I like to do is use a Howler to locate the area I am going to call at.Once I decide where I am going to call I use my Coaxer lightly for about 5 minutes.Then I use my rabbit distress like Critr Call,Tally Ho or Killer Call or what ever you have.After I have called one in I like to use a mouse squeeker to get the Coyote in position for the shot.And if I have my FoxPro with me it is a whole different deal.

Musky,

Generally howling for location is best done the evening before a hunt...
Some callers will howl on a stand, but many do not.

I like to run a stand kind of the opposite of how you seem to want to try it...
I start with something small, a rodent squeeker or a squeeze bulb call. I don't want to scare anyone who might be close.
Maybe 15 seconds of that, followed by a minute or so of silence. Then I bust out one long lonesome sounding howl, wait another minute or so (this time really on the guard, someone could come gushin' in lookin' for a fight) then I go into the distress with a call that can kinda reach out there.

If I were to see a coyote coming I would probably drop my hand calls and either try to lipsqueek em in the rest of the way, or just dump em the first decent shot I had. Once you see them, they have probably already heard you and are gonna come to the spot the sound came from eventually anyway.
Over calling is the biggest, and most common, mistakes most new callers make.

If a coyote is on his way and doesn't seem he's going to stop I'd "bark" at him to get him stopped for the shot.

I hope this helps

Jeff
wave1.gif

I just have to shake my head, really. Krusty, there's more of your advice, and man, it sure does sound like you know what you are talking about.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me at all if musky hunter actually thinks that you've been in situations like that dozens and dozens of times, and that you've actually "dumped 'em the first decent shot you've gotten" several times!

Where DO you keep all the fur, Krusty?

Amazing what you can pull off around here, isn't it, Krusty? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

This is one of those questions that could be answered by a 1000 different callers and would have about that many different answers. Really, there is not one proven way to start a stand or call a stand. Personally, I vary the way I start and do most of my own stands. I try to remember how I call each particluar area through out the winter, so that when I return to that area, I can do some thing different than I did the last time I was calling that area. Also depends on if I killed the critter the last time I was there or not or if I even called any thing in there.I personally like to save my howls for a little later in the season, kinda my ace in the hole, so to speak. Early in the fall, there are more uneducated coyotes, so the wounded bunny blues work pretty well. Another deciding factor should be, how thick the cover is that your calling in and around, how hard the wind is blowing, how much pressure does the area recieve. On and On! Just do what seems right to you at the time, and after time, you don't get anything called in, change things up and try again. Good Luck!

K: "Generally howling for location is best done the evening before a hunt..."

Huh? Why? To elicit a vocal response? To know that they're there so you can come back at sun up and call 'em right in? Not to step on your toes, Krusty, but holwing any time but while you're hunting is all but a waste of breath.

In the off chance that they do answer you back the night before, all you've accomplished is knowing where they are at that moment in time. Somewhere between then and sunrise, that coyote will have traveled many miles in and around his homerange and territory, the sizes of which vary dramatically dependent upon dozens of variables, both known and unknown.

Fact is, only a very small percentage of the coyotes around you will readily respond vocally to a lone howl. Much more often as not, they just come in if they're going to respond in any form at all. Usually at a casual gait and in no big hurry. A lot of guys try to locate with a lone howl and when nothing answers, they get in their truck and leave not realizing that the target is standing on yon hill taking notes. Truth is, lone howls and ki-yi's are as effective used as primary calling sounds as is rabbit, etc., when employed strategically respective to the time of day and the date.

Musky- every experienced caller does something differently based upon what he/ she has been successful with in the past. There are no cadences or sequences etched in stone that HAVE to be followed. In fact, experienced callers mix things up everytime out so as not to establish a pattern for themselves that the predators will learn to "watch" for.

Here's what I would suggest for you to do. Simple and to the point. Move in quietly and under the radar. Most blown stands occur long before you ever put the call in your mouth. Give things a few minutes to settle down once you're sitting. Survey the area for possible approach routes. Know what you see around the periphery so that you'll better recognize new landmarks that suddenly appear from thin air. Sit with the wind in your ear where you can see your downwind and upwind both, if possible

If you want to start with howls, offer a lone howl or two, hi-pitched and long. Herald barks preceding each lone howl are a matter of personal choice. Sometimes I do. Sometimes I don't. Wait 2-3 minutes and be looking. If you see a coyote, look for more. Repsonses to howls will often be in multiples.

If no reply, lone howl once or twice again and wait another couple minutes. Sometimes, sitting quietly and making no noise is the best sound to use calling.

If still no response, offer a low-volume brief series of rabbit squeals, 5-10 seconds. Wait and look. With each successive series of squeals, increase the volume and timbre. After several series of squeals, go back to the howler and do puppy ki-yi's or a hi-pitched lone howl - whatever feels good at the time.

Just mix it up. Use more than one prey distress call. Responses to calling are often based solely upon curiosity. The more you offer to pique their curiosity, the greater the chance that they'll just cave into temptation and stick their head out to take a peek. If they do answer you back, use your howler to answer them with your best rendition of whatever they just said to you.

I cannot overemphasize that you just need to get out there and call. Howl. Whatever floats your boat. Time and experience will tell you what works best, as it has for the rest of us. Trial and error - learn to experiment with the various sounds and the infinite ways they can be applied. No two calling situations are alike, so you just learn to go with your gut.

Jean-Henri,

It's nice to see you get up from your coyote meat dinner to bust my chops again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

At no point did I say "here's what I have done in the PAST!!!"

I said what I would do "if and when" the situation arises... which I am sorry to say Musky, "it has not"...

Does this mean the information I have repeated here is of no value? I don't think so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I am a good student, and even though I do not get out hunting often enough, it does not take away the fact that I have studied hard and absorbed a lot of this information.
So much so that it really seems to irk some people around here... I suppose Jean-Henri probably threw spit balls at the smart kid in class too.

Lance,

I did say GENERALLY... I didn't mean everyone has to do that... and yes my toes hurt!

Once again I thought it would be helpful if I were to repeat what I have learned. And in my Knight & Hale instructional video they suggest doing just that, driving and locating... I am sorry if I have spread any misinformation, I was just trying to help Musky out.

Why would I locator howl the night before?
To see if any coyotes are there AT ALL... I recently drove a seven mile section of road we hunt along... wondering if there even were any coyotes there.
We stopped the truck every quarter to half mile, howling numerous times at each stop and waiting for awhile for an answer.
None ever came, so I too am wondering about the validity of loaction howling at all... or maybe there aren't any coyotes there.
I know, now, to concentrate on other areas where coyotes seem to be, because they do answer the howl.

I am not an expert, but I NEVER claimed to be one... I guess I'll just shut up now, and leave the disinformation to you oh so polite experts!!!

Jeff
wave1.gif

First of all, let us assume that our main target is coyotes. Now is as good a time as any to point out that the great Murry Burnham still does not use howling to call his coyotes, or at least not the last time that I spoke with him. Tons of coyotes have been called and killed with nothing but an enclosed reed prey distress call. There are still a lot of guys out there piling up coyotes that way.

On the subject of howling and whether or not to try to locate them at night by howling, I think we first need to explain the difference between calling during spring & summer vs winter calling. Right now, and at least thru month of july (maybe longer) the coyote pups are still hanging around real close to the den. Howling at night during this period can be effective in causing coyotes to howl back from location of the den. Then the following morning you can sneak in to within a quarter mile or so of the den and howl em on in for the kill. Many times a few pup squeals after two or three howls will help you call em on in.

Now Winter howling is a different ball game. Nobody knows for certain, but I think that coyotes are hunting at night. This means that if I get a vocal answer to my howls at ten oclock in night, that coyote will likely be somewhere else come morning. In winter, I would wait until I was ready to kill the coyote before I howled. Coyotes many times come to the sound of strange coyote in their territory, and they often come silently. This means that if you drive around at night and howl, you may have winter coyotes running in to kick your butt but you have merrily driven down the road a mile or so to howl again. I hope that I am making sense here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Musky! First off nice to see you here! One thing to bare in mind is not to call too much. The area you will be hunting is very populated and the coyotes have been weeell educated to people. Very good advice has been given all and take it to heart. Come fall after deer season maybe we can meet up. I promised Onno a hunt too. Got some areas over towards Durham and Mnt Forest as well as around home. Home is two miles from EESA. Some more good advice is not to practice indoors at home. Someone will hit you with something.lol later grnhawg.td

thanxs for all the help.

Come fall after deer season maybe we can meet up. I promised Onno a hunt too. Got some areas over towards Durham and Mnt Forest as well as around home.
I hope to hunt with you. I might go to Mnt. Forest next week with Danny Boy. He called in a Coyote last week.

Hey Ryan (AKA Musky Hunter):

Don't you have Lynx, Bobcat and Fox, too, up in your neck of the Northwoods, and would you interested in calling them as well? If that be the case, I'd follow a plan of starting with something that won't hunker them down or send them up a tree. In such situations letting loose with a loud coyote howl wouldn't be my first choice at all.

Typically I start a calling sequence with a lagomorph of some kind, low to mid volume in case there's a close-by customer. Be verrrry quiet, verrrry patient. Cats often show up an hour into the call. At the first sign that I've got one on the line (jays sqawking around a focal point in the woods other than me, for instance, chipmunks chittering and scattering) I'll start coaxing noises, by which I mean softer and higher pitched on the call I'm already using if an open-reed type, or simply lipsqueaks. If something is hung up in the brush 100 yards off and won't budge to the call that brought him to that point, by all means lipsqueak or use a coaxer.

Cats sometimes take more coaxing, sometimes half an hour's coaxing or more. Coyotes that are not call educated often come at dead run, and show up in 5-15 minutes. If calling in an open area you may wanna let up on the calling once a yote is hauling bootie in your your general direction lest further calling give your camo away. Educated coyotes are another matter. I have coaxed a very few downwind sneakers to within 50 feet with yaps and yowls and lipsqueaks but scent eventually gives me away and they bolt tout suite.

Fox however, will sometimes hang up at any pause in the calling, only to start trotting toward you again as soon as you resume blowing on the call (we mostly have gray fox here and that's what I know best. Reds are an exotic pest hereabout, I've only called a few of them, lipsqueaks only. They responded more like a coyote, but not spooky at all once called in close).

Your higher pitched calls and squealers sound like just the ticket for making Hare/Rabbit calls and vole/mouse squeaks. Should bring Coyotes, Fox, Lynx and Bobcat. Do you have snowshoe hares where you hunt? Though I've not actually heard one in the maws of a carnivore in the the wild like I have cottontails a few times, what recordings I've found (too too few! somebody help the man out here!) were gutteral and raspy, somewhere between a cottontail and a jackrabbit...

Good luck and have fun!
LionHo

P.S.: Ryan, do let us know how this all works for calling those Muskies! Hear tell that some get as big as a fair sized mountail lion, but with many more teeth!

Rich, if you locate the den of pups and then sneak in to within 440 yards of it and then call in and kill the parents what do you do with the pups? I know it is good sport to shoot the adults of the litter but would you conceder it sporting to shoot the pups off of the den as well? It would be more sporting than to let them starve wouldn’t it? I am not trying to pick a fight but I am having a hard time understanding the sporting aspect of this whole summertime hunting thing. It seams like every time we start to get somewhere on the subject the topic gets closed even if everyone is getting along. What’s up with that? If you are uncomfortable about talking about the issue maybe you should stop bringing it up? That would be fine with me.

You said to me….

For YOU to try to "educate" those who shoot coyotes in summer, would best be done in private.
LMAO Now just a few days later you yourself said this…..

Howling at night during this period can be effective in causing coyotes to howl back from location of the den. Then the following morning you can sneak in to within a quarter mile or so of the den and howl em on in for the kill.
Would I be to far off the mark to call this a blatant hypocrisy? What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. I could care less what you talk about Rich but when you tell ME that I should keep my thoughts privet about this issue and then you come over here and freely express your own is unfair no mater what “context” you put it in.

Now I just have 2 questions. Why did the thread “Two more with a shotgun” get closed? Don’t tell me it is because we were not talking about the subject any more because I could point out 100 or more threads (literally) that have spun off on completely different subjects that have not gotten closed. Also you can’t say that we were fighting because we were not. Was it because Yellowhammer tried to pen me down on a technicality that he knew nothing about? Or was it when his attempt at making me look like a hypocrite backfired in his face that you guys decided to shut it down? I will play by the rules and help anyone that asks but I would just like to clarify a few of these “unwritten” rules. I know it is covenant to edit and close any topic that you wish just because the issue is not going your way but is it fair to the rest of us?

Everyone here seems to hate John Henrys guts because (among other things) he locks threads and doesn’t tolerate those who don’t agree with his line of thinking on this issue. After you locked this thread for no apparent reason I would venture to say that you are doing the same thing John is. With the exception of banning me……..yet. I know of at least 2 others as well.

The second question is why do you feel that my stance on this subject is one that should “best be done in privet” when others and you can talk about it openly? I know you don’t like my stance on the subject (or me for that matter) but I am playing by the rules aren’t I? If not let me know.

Q,

Musky,

My advice to you would be pick one call and learn to master it. One call will do the trick. Mixing up calls and sounds does take some knowledge beyond intermediate calling to be effective on any kind of regular basis. Kind of like a professional bass fisherman you jerks the bait differently and you as why did you do that and the reply is... you just goot to know when you can do it.

I'd say your C-3 is your best call. Don't use the mouse squeaker in conjunction with any other call. It only startles the coyote whereas lip squeaking does not.

When starting out, stick to the rhythmic slow, mundane, boring Waaaa, Waaaa, Waaaa followed by Owwww, Owwww, Owwww (with one call only). If after a few stands without any customers, switch your calling to a different call and use the same old boring song. It's like switching baits until you find what they're biting on that particular day. The next time you go calling, you might discover that fist call is the one working.

If you want to use a howler, don't blow too loud if you can help it. Generally speaking, coyotes called in by howling come in much more cautious and slower than with a rabbit call.

The basics (slow rhythmic sounds) have been the same for as long as calling has been around, and for good reason too. They work time and time and time again.

Fancy is impressive, but the coyote don't care. There is one proven way to be successful and it has been plainly stated in virtually every instructional handout that comes with your call. Get yourself an old Weems or Circe instruction sheet.

Q Wagoner,
I thought that you and I had agreed to disagree, and I have actually been feeling good about you for a few days now. If you check out some other forums you will see where I advised folks to listen when you speak because you know what you are talking about. Now you have came in to my forum and attacked me. This is MY house in here Q, and you have stepped over the line. If I came over to your house and spit in your soup, I am betting that you wouldn't like it. I didn't close that thread you mention, but I have just now asked the guys with the black helicopters to whisk you off to cyber space. If I am voted down on this matter, you will still not be welcome in any of MY forums unless you stop with the bleeding heart talk. In MY house you either act like a gentleman or I will delete your post.

Q-Wagoner,

There's a few things you need to understand about the PM board. First of all, we don't have a clock that he hunt by. PM has never came out with a stance on hunting coyotes in the summer. We have a lot of members that do hunt at that time of year for various reasons and would like information on how to do so.

PM is an information board, not the supreme court or a policing entity. We don't judge the actions our members as long as it is legal to take coyotes year round in their area. There are many reasons people hunt them. And there are also ways you can justify it or not in your own mind just like anyone else can.

Rich was doing exactly that, giving information to someone who had asked for help. He is a moderator and a call maker. He is just doing his job in helping one of our members.

Quote-"It seams like every time we start to get somewhere on the subject the topic gets closed even if everyone is getting along."

I have been on this board from the start and that has never been the case. Just look in the clubhouse today. This is what happens every time the subject gets brought up, and it's been old news for years now.

I have seen some of your posts that make great contributions here. But this particular subject is closed for debate because sooner or later, it always causes trouble.

You stick with your beliefs, you are definitely entitled to them, but don't try to push them off and make judgments on others here. It will just cause more grief....

-MP

Musky, Sneak into your chosen site, take your C3 and start soft, wait, move your eyes not your body looking, repeat a little louder and with a little anguish and soul into the call,wait,keep your eyes pealed for movement,predators always seem to appear out of the ground in front of you,repeat all over again. And when you think you have given the area enough time and are sure nothing will show up,give it another full 5 or 10 minuts.Don,t figate around and keep looking.Those cats will fool you a lot.Have shot more than one cat in the south end as it got up after watching me for who knows how long as it walked off heading north.Keep at it.And good luck...Walt

Back