Catch and Release Mt Lion Calling?

AllPredatorCalls

I was up in the Kiabab (Northern Arizona) this weekend for 3 day break from APC and do some camping / ATVing / scouting some calling area's for this fall with the wife and kids.

On Saturday afternoon, my 12 year old son and I went out to do a stand or 2 to see what if anything would show. The area we were camping / calling is 8,200 ft timbered high country packed with mule deer.

On stand number one we called in some mule deer does using whitetail fawn (#D03) and kid goat distress (M01). It was fun and got some nice pictures.

On stand number 2 I started out with whitetail doe distress (#D00) them went to fawn deer (#D03), then kid goat distress (MO1 / M03). My technique was to run the deer distress for approx 1 1/2 minutes then scroll thru the fawn deer and kid goats spending 30 seconds on them and back to the adult whitetail distress.

At just over 6 minutes, a big, big adult lion come trotting in. I spotted him at about 100 yards an muted the unit at approx 60 yards. He came to a dead stop the second I muted the unit. Stopped at 60 yards, he stared in the area of the e-caller for approx a minute than sat back on his haunches.. .. I pulled up my savage predator model chamber in .223 (topped of with a Ziess 3x9) and put the cross hairs about 6 inches under his chin dead center between the shoulders... my son is whispering... shoot...shoot.. Dad? shoot!

I lowered the rifle without shooting, And yes I have a current Arizona Mt Lion permit and a lifetime AZ hunting License.... at that exact moment the lion changes its position from sitting up on his haunches to laying on all 4’s similar to a sphinx, with his front legs completely stretched out in front of him.. My son again, questions me have I lost my mind... shoot! He is a veteran of many days in the field targeting lions, we normally hunt unit 13B where you can hunt them year round, and is completely aware of my near fanatic obsession of calling and killing a lion

I had to explain to him that unfortunately for us, Arizona recently (couple years ago) modified the Mt Lion season from year-round in all units to year round in only a few units, with the majority of the state having a season which runs September 1st thru May 31st.

At about the 10 minute mark of lion laying there relaxing, I had a “brilliant idea”.. How about testing his reactions to various sounds.. I figured I had already made it a teachable moment with my son in regards to the game laws. Maybe I can learn something in regards to the sounds that appear to peak his interest. I was particularly interested in what reaction I would get with Mt lion vocalizations

I have a significant library of lion calls from several sources and all the FP lions vocals programmed on the Scorpion. The lion was laying 30 yards from the caller, the volume was at 40 (max) when I called him in.

What do you think his reaction was to the following calls (the lion laid just 60 yards from me for 29 minutes while a did my little experiment)

Mt Lion Whistle
Mt Lion in Heat
Mt Lion Cub Purring
Mt Lion Cub begging
Mt lion Courting
Mt Lion Aggressive

more to come.....

Oh, don't pull a "Totch" on us!

I'll wager for most of them it just laid there watching.

Edit: Oh yeah... WAY TO GO!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Awesome accomplishment! Next time the season will be open!

No reaction, he just laid there while you were changing sounds.

Even though you didn't shoot that lion it had to be a rush and unforgettable. Congratulations!

That is very cool. Sure is rediculous that we are limited on when we can kill lions now, especially in a place like Kaibab. I think it should be year around in the whole state. Way to have restraint . You have to wonder how many trophy bucks could have been saved with one shot though.

Quote:
Oh, don't pull a "Totch" on us!

I was thinking the same thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Good story AP. Its good to hear you getting out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. Sounds like a story of a lifetime coming up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

Now thats awesome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I cant wait for the rest of the story /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Kerry

Great, I have to leave for work. Now I have to wait all day to find out. lol! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm guessing it laid there for most of the sounds but when you got to "In Heat" it peed on your caller, then ran when it heard "Purring". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

what curt said. curt guess who i'm going to go see right now . whirlwind meeting him in Kelso. he is buy my FX5 talked alot about cougar he is going to go more after cougar's this year. i'm sure the cougar perked up. with the lion sound's. maybe he got closer. today or tomorrow i'll have the open country then thurs to bear camp. i'll be camped across from the gate with Riverswild a great bear caller were i called my first cougar. AP you got me pumped. great going glad your son was there. Rick

Thats an awesome story. Can't wait to read the rest. We don't have lions here so I've never seen one. So in responce to the questions. It wouldn't matter how the cat would have reacted to the sounds. If I was there, he would be gone. He would probably smell my pee. As it ran down my leg /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifI'd be freaking out. Come on allready, tell us the rest /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Someone say "pictures".. here's a couple..

a doe from the first stand

P1010018aa.jpg

I'm getting pretty good at dutch oven cooking...

P1010006aa.jpg

Perfect!

P1010010aa.jpg

More to come....

Ok, so back to what happened, I decided that the Mt lion Communicative Whistle would be the first sound. I thought about using the "In Heat" call, but I fully expected the lion to start coming our way when I used the In Heat call and I did’nt want to try in explain why I shot a lion out of season (be it in in self defense or not).

I put the scope cross hairs up on his very large pie plate sized head, to watch the reaction... and let the call rip at full blast not 30 yards from the lion. And the result was..... Nothing! not so much as a blink or causual look or refocus of attention??? I muted the unit after 3 whistles.

ok... I told my son to slide in a little closer to me, lets go for the gusto - Lion in Heat roars - this for sure would get him up and moving! Again at Full Volume, I let it rip, for 20 - 25 seconds, and absolutely, positively no reaction what so-ever..... except a fly landed on his ear and he twitch it to loose the fly)... My son actually turned to me and asked “is he asleep?” (heck, you would expected the loud noise would of startled him at the very least).

Over the next 10 minutes I go thru all the lion vocals I have - None produce any noticeable reaction on the lion whatsoever. I did try a the fawn deer and kid goat distress at this point and the lion zeroed in on the caller and shifted it’s body to a more alerted state but did not get up.

I then move to aggressive bobcat, kitten distress, canine puppies, fox pup distress, and coyote locater howls (by mistake) over the next 5 minutes with no noticeable reaction whatsoever by the lion .

I check my watch, the lion has been laying there for 25 minutes.. I begin to think about the nice $300 dollar digital camera I have... You know the one if took 100 pictures of camp, ATVs, Dutch ovens, biscuts, kids, wife, deer, rocks, trees, etc...you know the one that I so irritated my wife with she told me to get out of camp and take my son with me.... you know the one that’s sitting 35 yards behind me, on my ATV!

At this point a suffer a small lapse in judgment, I tell my son to “slink” back to the ATV and get the camera, I’ll watch the lion.... The plan was if the lion gets up, I’ll stand up in full view make a loud noise and “scare it away”.. if he hear’s me yelling, he’s to turn around and move back to me, and NOT to run away toward the ATV....

So with plan in hand, my son “slinks” off for the camera......

More to come....

A textbook "Totch" if I've ever seen one!!!!

The lion was close enough, and thought he was hidden from any eyes in the area.

Cats are wierd.

Betcha he picked up on the "slink" mighty quick!

ok.. no "Totch" this time.

More to come....

The conclusion -

I check the lion and make sure he’s not moving. He’s still laying there.. I look back at my son, he’s a few yards behind me crawling on all 4’s! Oh [beeep]! I firmly inform him, not caring if the lion heard me or not, that’s it’s not a good idea to craw like a small deer size animal when your only 60 yards from a Mt Lion. His definition of “slink” back to the ATV is different then mine.. I tell him to stand up VERTICAL, and walk back quietly to the ATV and get the camera... I check the lion, he’s still day dreaming, and oblivious to the two “hunters” ... Thankfully we were positioned in a perfect spot where all of our movement and ATVs could not be seen.

I keep a diligent watch on the Mt Lion, check my sons progress, a couple minutes pass, and my son returns, taking a slightly different path (a matter of a couple feet), at about the time he begins to hand me the camera, the Mt lion quickly stands up, stares in our direction, and bolts back in the direction he came at a fast trot....

30 minutes... and it’s over... Sorry no pictures, just a memory of a lifetime to share with my son.

In summary, I did learn a few things about lion hunting that may help me (or you) in the future.

1 - Don’t buy a $300 digital camera, pack it all over, then in prime lion country leave sitting on your ATV because your to lazy, and “nothing but a stinking deer is going to show anyway“... As soon as you do, something cool will happen.

Keeping in mind this is just one fairly long observation of a called in lion - It don’t mean they will all act this way.

2 - Prior to this encounter I was using lion vocals the majority of the time, I will concentrate more on prey distress (doe, fawn, kid goat) in the future. This encounter has me questioning the effectiveness of Mt lion vocals as compared to deer distress.

3- Don’t be in a hurry to shoot. Let your fast beating heart slow down (and it will be beating fast). If you are undetected the lion will sit/lay/stay for a long period.

4 - It came in at a fast trot in 6 minutes... I guess no one told him he was supposed to be a slow responder.

5 - I will continue to call loud and continuous. The lion did stop the second I muted the call.. If coming in, I’ll be leaving the caller going till he’s in a area that provides a clear shot.

6 - Once the lion sits down, It’s going to take an earth quake to get him moving forward to the call again.

ANYONE have any comments on lion calling techniques? or called in lions with different reactions to vocals? Your input is welcome as I do not profess to be an expert on Mt lions and I do value varying opinions..

Good hunting!

AP

P1000992aaa.JPG

Picture of the stand location from the lions view.

if it had only been 36 days in the future, I would of gladly had "it don't get no better than that" tattooed you know where.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

AP

Back